User Reviews for Docosanol topical to treat Herpes Simplex

Also known as: Abreva

Docosanol Rating Summary

5.0/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 44 medications used in the treatment of Herpes Simplex.

Reviews for Docosanol

Abreva (docosanol): "Never in my life experienced the WORST product ever. As soon as I started using the product next day it got worst, I have my lip super swollen and it actually spread all over the lip. DON'T BUY IT!"

Jenny (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2019

Abreva (docosanol): "I’ve been getting cold sores for years, I was so excited I caught the cold sore this time when it was a tingle. I ran to the store, actually 3 because the first two were sold out of it, and bought some. I was recommended it by 3 friends. This is probably the second worst break out I’ve had in my life. I’m so sad. I’m two days in working with the police academy, I’m a college student and it’s embarrassing. I had high hopes for Abreva. Maybe it works for some people but not for me. It actually spread off my lip onto my face and it has never ever done that before."

Mom of 3 (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2019

Abreva (docosanol): "Abreva works for me. Me being a minimal wage worker, and break out every month.I CANNOT afford the twenty bucks every cold sore. This last pump I bought was all liquid and it ran out in a day!!! I cut it open and it wasn't near as big as the tube. I believe they are ripping people off."

Flutercat March 29, 2019

Abreva (docosanol): "I get cold sores less than once a year which gives me time to forget how useless a treatment Abreva is for me - so I buy another expensive tube every time. I hope I remember to try something different next time instead of wasting my money."

HBKK (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2019

Abreva (docosanol): "I came here to read other reviews after buying my first tube of Abreva. Should have read the reviews first. Within hours of feeling the first symptom of a blister coming on I bought Abreva on my way home after work. Biggest mistake of my life. I usually use Camphonique. Or something along the lines. Might have spelled it wrong but nope. Decided to try the big name brand and waste twenty dollars thinking this has got to work and I caught it so early on all proud and what not. My damn lip is so swollen. And I thought maybe this is a normal reaction and the swelling will go down. After 2 whole days I've had enough. Went back to my camphor and the swelling went down within the hour. So mad at myself for not reading reviews before hand."

Cherry (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2019

Abreva (docosanol): "Don’t use Abreva! Used Abreva for one week and my blister got worse!"

Sarah (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2019

Abreva (docosanol): "I have had a few cold sores in my life and after using Abreva I can safely say it made the cold sore the worst I’ve ever had! It is literally half the size of my lip this time around. I noticed after applying the cream it would spread to wherever the cream touched. I believe this was intentional for you to buy more cream. All of my previous cold sores were 1/8th the size of this monster. I stopped applying Abreva and it stopped spreading immediately."

Chrissy (taken for less than 1 month) March 16, 2019

Abreva (docosanol): "Felt a cold sore coming on, so went to get something for it. I was a bit put off by the price of Abreva, but I was helping teach a course in a few days and really wanted to get it under control. Not only did abreva not work, but I got a second blister in another spot! By far, the worst cold sore(s) of my life!! A wasted $20 for sure!"

DD March 15, 2019

Abreva (docosanol): "I have been using abreva for some years now and when it was in the tube, it worked great. The new pump version is runny and has been virtually ineffective. It has changed and NOT IN A GOOD WAY!!!"

bob March 10, 2019

Abreva (docosanol): "This product DOES NOT WORK! I’ve gotten cold sores for years, I would say maybe about 3 a year. While using abreva my cold sore spread and became more swollen. And while using abreva they can last up to two weeks. Go to a doctor and get a prescription for acyclovir or something similar. If I start taking this prescription right when I feel the cold sore, sometimes it doesn’t even develop or lasts about 1-2 days. For me, abreva just spread the cold sores and they last forever while using the cream!!!! I would just get a prescription for acyclovir and not even touch the cold sore at all."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2019

Abreva (docosanol): "I have used Abreva for many years with lots of luck. Since I ran out I bought there newest container. Its slightly larger than it used to be and being kind of pricy that made me happy. What didn't make me happy and it doesn't work anymore. In fact it has made it worse. I had two back to back cold sores I applied multiple times per day and they are the biggest they have ever been. I'm convinced with the bigger tube they thinned out the product so much it doesn't work anymore. I even purchased a second bottle in the pump form to see if I had bought a bad batch and still nothing."

jennsrd78 (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2019

Abreva (docosanol): "Love this product.... I use it when I feel I am getting a cold sore and it helps to get rid of it before it starts..... love this product"

Cold sore February 6, 2019

Abreva (docosanol): "I typically get a cold sore once a year well I felt one starting to form and I had tried abreva before but it was already after the blister had popped so it didn't really do much. Well this time I wanted to try since I felt it so early on and the next day the cold sore was bigger and worse than I have ever had before on my life so I continued to use it not thinking maybe it was the abreva having negative effects well now I have another cold sore forming at the corner of my mouth I have never in my life had 2 at once I will not be using it anymore hopefully they will cure up on their own. Not a good experience I see a lot of people everyday and this is embarrassing"

Buck January 31, 2019

Abreva (docosanol): "I never used abreva before, so I decided to try it. I applied it as soon as a felt the outbreak. This made it the WORST breakout I ever had. I highly recommend the Orajel vials, after 2 days of using them my cold sore went down significantly."

rty456 (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2019

Abreva (docosanol): "I could feel a cold sore coming on and I thought guess I need some abreva!! Ran to the store even though I was broke to buy a $20 tube of this stuff!! Started applying it immediately and what do you know, I’ve had the worse outbreak I’ve ever had!! Going on day three and my lip is swollen with two huge blisters!! I’m in pain!! Never again will I use and I don’t recommend use of it!!"

Seppu January 16, 2019

Abreva (docosanol): "This medicine does not work. I used it for the first time and I have never had a bigger cold sore. My lips are so swollen, it is terrible. What a waste of money. False advertisement for sure."

Annie January 16, 2019

Abreva (docosanol): "For 25 years I have gotten cold sores about every two months. Usually 1-2 but as bad as my upper and lower lips being one solid fever blister. I have used everything from homeopathic to prescription remedies. Abreva works the best for me. I also would never rate any drug as 1 star because what works for some may not work for others. If you have them as frequently as me, the $20 is worth the try. If it works, you'll save a ton in the long run."

Courtburg (taken for 10 years or more) January 15, 2019

Abreva (docosanol): "Such a huge waste of money. Abreva made my cold sores worse, ten I caught on and stopped using it. I had better results overall by just using essential oils. The old formula worked wonders, so it's a HUGE shame they have changed it. I wonder why they think it's a good marketing scheme to make things worse for their customers? Anyway, good riddance abreva. I hope you leave the shelves for good."

wayne January 11, 2019

Abreva (docosanol): "Felt that tingling feeling and immediately applied Abreva six times a day for three days. Very minimal growth and receded on day two. Day three almost completely gone. Prior to Abreva, mine would last 7-10 days, grow huge, and hurt like crazy. With Abreva, one could barely tell a cold sore ever was there."

SFCKUSARMY (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2019

Abreva (docosanol): "I do not recommend this product. I had cold sores about once a year since I was a kid, but I haven’t had one in nearly 8 years. Although, I remember Abreva not being effective in the past, I thought I’d try it this time. I started applying it, using clean cotton swabs, from the initial tingle. It has been two days, and this is the worst one I have ever had. My lip is very swollen and the effected area is much larger than ever before. I can’t say definitely that the Abreva has made it worse, but It seems like there is a correlation."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2019

Abreva (docosanol): "I used abreva at the first sign of a cold sore coming on, and it appears to have made my sold sore worse. This cold sore is by far the biggest I have ever experienced and the virus has spread to other areas of my upper lip. I am very careful and use a q-tip to apply abreva, I also use an uncontaminated q-tip to apply Vaseline to my lower lip to keep it from getting dry since I am not licking my lips. I will switch to a different brand."

Anon December 12, 2018

Abreva (docosanol): "Abreva doesn't work, and I'm convinced that all these comments saying it does are fake. I've used it as directed on two different occasions now, and the blister forms anyway and ends up huge. This is an absolute waste of $20 for a teeny little tube that does nothing at all. It's back to high doses of lysine for me (which by the way works really well), never buying this again."

Noni (taken for less than 1 month) November 30, 2018

Abreva (docosanol): "DOES NOT WORK. BLISTERS STILL FORM. DOES NOT STOP blisters.The only thing that works is high dose Valtrex at first sign of a tingle or bump. Abreva does nothing. I have an entire lower lip full of them despite abreva."

john (taken for less than 1 month) November 27, 2018

Abreva (docosanol): "Used this product on first sign , but it made things worst . I’m on day 3 now.."

German (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2018

Abreva (docosanol): "I have had cold sores at least once a year. I usually use Class IV laser treatment which is THE BEST treatment out there to significantly reduce cold sores by killing the virus. I am a physical therapist and didn’t have access to the laser so I used Abreva at first sign and it never turned to a blister. So I feel it did help reduce the spreading of the virus. If you don’t have access to a Class IV laser (dermatologists, PT’s or chiropractors) use Abreva."

Logan (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2018