User Reviews for Docosanol

Also known as: Abreva

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Docosanol.

Docosanol Rating Summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 54 medications used in the treatment of Herpes Simplex.

Reviews for Docosanol to treat Herpes Simplex

Abreva (docosanol): "I had a really bad outbreak and was recommended by a clinician to put abreva on it and take acyclovir anti-viral pills. I used TWO WHOLE PUMP BOTTLES OF ABREVA AND NOTHING CHANGED! The acyclovir didn't help either. Tried alcohol and saw a huge difference instead. Don't use Abreva. Use 70+% alcohol."

James Frolic December 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol): "This product makes the cold sore worse. It made my one pimple sized cold sores itch and 2 more popped in the area. I have given it a chance in the past (3 more times) but now am convinced that it doesn't work. ITS THE MOST ADVERTISED ON TV but its JUST A SCAM. Please save your money and try something like tree tea oil to make the blister small and dry."

strugglingmac December 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol): "I always get face blisters from wind-burn or mild sunburn. Abreva helps only if I use it at the time of the damage, not wait til blisters appear. It keeps them from spreading all over my face. And that is terrible. I use it for regular fever blisters too. I have to use it the night before the outbreak."

judyfromArkansas (taken for 10 years or more) December 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol): "I've been getting cold sores once or twice a year for the past 20 years and they've always been the same size, so I know my personal cold sores. I felt the signs of getting a cold sore so having heard abreva actually worked I thought I'd give it a shot. At this point the cold sore was a tiny bump no bigger than a pinhead. After trying the pump bottle, my cold sore got a little bigger but I didn't think anything of it at first other than that I must not have caught it in time so that's why it grew more and I kept using abreva. THIS WAS A TERRIBLE THING TO TRY. This cold sore is now the biggest I have ever had in my life, has spread to HALF of my upper lip, and it is so swollen and painful! This is because of abreva DO NOT USE!"

Iwantmy Moneyback (taken for less than 1 month) November 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol): "Please stay away from this product new Abreva spreads cold sores I have 3 now instead of one little one."

Sadmanmike1987y November 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol): "I typically don't get cold sores. I've only had 3-4 in my whole life, and they began when I was 25 years old. I get them every 1-2 years. I chose to use Abreva because it alleviates the pain, and is supposed to help with healing time. The Abreva in the US now comes in a pump form, and is much more liquid than the original. Abreva never cured my fever blisters in the 2.5 days they say it can, but it did used to help. This time, it exacerbated my blister, and it is HUGE! It has not spread like the other reviews have stated, but it's larger than normal, and I can only imagine that it's the Abreva I've been using 5-8 times a day. Do not use this product. It either doesn't work, or it makes it worse. Both are bad scenarios. Use vanilla extract."

katekatekate (taken for less than 1 month) November 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol): "Abreva did not work and I believe caused them to spread on my lower lip. I have 6 different sores on my whole bottom lip in different stages. I'm 33 and I don't normally use abreva but I'm out of town so I bought it in a pinch. I've never experienced this spreading before in this degree. I will never use abreva again."

Chris Tina 84 (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol): "I bought Abreva when I felt my first tingle. I applied it 5/6 times a day every day. My cold sore got huge.I still have my cold sore and I'm on day 12 :( now a new sore is popping up. I felt the tingle of the Abreva every time I put it on, but it didn't help at all."

Janne0909 November 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol): "This was my first time buying Abreva. I am disappointed. It actually made my cold sore bigger. It also spread. Right when I thought it was over, one began in a different place! That has never happened before. I'm back to placing green tea bags on it."

1986AY November 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol): "I have been using abreva for four days. The second day I noticed it was getting better. Today on the fourth day I noticed that smaller bumps around my cold sore are starting to form. It made my cold sores smaller but now I have to deal with what it caused. Very disappointed because having a cold sore isn't pretty. Just when I thought it was getting better, something else pops up. It was very expensive so I was really looking forward to a better experience."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol): "I've had cold sores come up before but normally treating the area with ice and lemon juice stopped it from coming out but this time I didn't have the chance to do that so it ended up sprouting out. It started off small and I applied abreva but it just got bigger and bigger. I don't think that's the abreva's fault because it was bound to get bigger but I think it may be spreading because of it. It honestly doesn't do much and it also doesn't feel like anything is happening. I prefer using vanilla extract, ice, lemon juice, advil paste and cornstarch paste to help because I actually feel it working."

Juila Mickel October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol): "I've always suspected that when I use abreva, while it may shorten the life of one cold sore, another often developed right after it. It happened this time, so now I'm convinced. I had 3 different spots that took 9 days to heal and now that those are gone, I have another popping up! I'm thinking you just have to let them run their course- maybe use a lysine product to reduce pain."

Bananabrain (taken for less than 1 month) October 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol): "I don't know what they did but this product just doesn't work the way it used to, used to. Only provides minor relief for a very short period of time and doesn't do at all what is advertised."

Jay M6565 October 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol): "Abreva always worked for me but this time I think I started too late. I woke up with a cold sore it was not big but red and past the tingly stage "

Nanania September 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol): "I, too, thought Abreva was magic.. for awhile. It was so reliable. If I caught the tingle early enough, no cold sore developed. If it was already in progress, it healed so quickly and painlessly. It always worked and so I gladly paid the high price. A little over a year ago, I got one that started on my nose and took over half of my face. It got infected and I needed two types of antibiotics. I didn't suspect the Abreva, until now. This week, I used Abreva on a really small one on my lip, and now it's all the space between my lip and nose, advancing toward my eye, and I'm so swollen I can't eat. Antibiotics again. Goodbye Abreva. Forever."

LAMarky September 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol): "I've been using it for 4 days and hasn't made the sores any better only worse . Waste of my hard earned money ."

Nick Denaril September 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol): "Starting getting cold sores a few years ago and Abreva used to work but now I have used it last time and this time and not only does not work but appears to make it worse. I usually only have one small one the whole time and it is gone in a few days. Now, both times I have used it, the one cold sore tripled and it bigger than ever. Will not waste my money on this product anymore. They have definitely changed something and not for the better."

lesjumar August 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol): "I got a cold sore yesterday morning, it was quite small and barely noticeable. I put abreva on and put it on like 10 times and when I woke up this morning it was bigger and more painful. It does not work. I don't get cold sores quite often, only when I'm very sick or physically drained (I'm a lifeguard and swim teacher). This was a huge disappointment, especially for how expensive it was."

Livieeeee August 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol): "I have taken this medicine since it first came out. I felt the tingle of a new sore the other day and bought a bottle of Abreva (this bottle has a pump to supply the medication which is more liquidish). After 2 days of use I realized that no only had the Abreva NOT worked, my cold sore had spread to 3 times the original size and was still contagious (tingly and sore). I mentioned this to my husband who said we had an older squeeze tube of Abreva (paste consistency) in his bathroom and he suggested I try that instead. After 12 hours, 2 applications, the cold sore is already getting better. My guess is that the makers of Abreva have watered down the active ingredient so much that it is no longer effective so they make more money."

Greedsux (taken for 10 years or more) August 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol): "I tried this for the first time on Wednesday afternoon as a sore was rapidly starting. It's now Friday night and it's a tiny dry speck. It has also worked on some weird unknown irritation on my face. This is the quickest I can remember having one resolve. I applied a tiny bit probably every hour or whenever I became aware of it again, and it worked very well."

HinCA (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol): "I have been using abreva for years and it is incredibly good. I got off a phone call with the bank and within minutes the cold sore was starting to form and my bottom lip was beginning to tingle and itch. At that point I knew - so I drove as quickly as I could to the pharmacy and purchased a bottle. Applied it immediately and the cold sore literally stopped in its tracks. I put it on at least 3 times that day and by the next morning (today) it almost looks as if nothing is there. No red spot near the edge of my lip. Now just a very small bump that is already beginning to get smaller and smaller. I would recommend this stuff to anyone. It works like magic if you put it on right when you feel the cold sore start to come in."

United Deca July 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol): "Abreva was a god-send. I to apply at the first tingle and cold sore would not even develop . Fast forward a couple of years , (about 1-2 sores tried to come out per year but I was successful in full stop) Abreva no longer works. It even appears to spread the blisters? I no longer feel the numbing sensation that I used to from the abreva cream. I'm so disappointed ! I feel like I may have become immune to the cream or else the formula has changed."

FloorPisser (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol): "Abreva use to work, not anymore. It appears they have changed the formula. It has been a few years since I've had a cold sore or fever blister. Years ago when I used Abreva, I could feel a tingling sensation when I applied it. Within 24 hours you could tell a difference ~ the fever blister was not spreading but getting smaller. The Abreva purchased in 2017 you feel nothing when you put it on.... Does not work like it use to. Please bring back the old formula."

Linda in Georgia July 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol): "Abreva used to work for me very well, but it no longer does. I used to put it on and it would shorten healing time significantly, and if I caught it early enough would go away before blistering. The last couple of times I caught one right away and put it on at the first tiny tingle. It still spread to a huge multi-blister sore and took 2 weeks to heal. Either my body has grown resistant to the active ingredient in Abreva that used to work, or they have changed their formula. Very disappointed."

Aubrey2017 July 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol): "My immune system has been stressed by pregnancy and all of a sudden I started getting cold sores. The first one I immediately used carmex like my dad did when I was a kid and it blistered and popped within a few days and took almost the full 2 weeks to heal completely. This time I was far enough in the pregnancy that I was okay using medication and boy was it one hell of a blister by the time I applied the abreva. Dead center upper lip was just one solid mass of blisters. I used it the recommended five times a day. That was yesterday. Today the blister is gone, not popped but deflated and hardened in that spot. No pain. But the medicine makes my whole mouth feel funky, even inside, not just where I've applied the ointment."

WillowStarfire (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2017