User Reviews for Docosanol

Also known as: Abreva

Learn more about Docosanol.

Docosanol Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 59 medications used in the treatment of Herpes Simplex.

Reviews for Docosanol to treat Herpes Simplex

Abreva (docosanol): "I have never wanted to try anything else than Abreva. I really like this product. I have cold sores often because of a lot of different reasons, but it world for me every time. Usually they last for about 2 weeks and they get really big and really gross, but if I put Abreva on even only once a day, it lasts for about a week and it stays lip colored and you can barely see it. And to be honest. It may or may not work for you but then again, everyone reacts different to things. So you can't really refer yourself to comments, you just need to try it for yourself. I like it. Some people don't. Maybe you will, maybe you won't. I really hope, whoever you are, that abreva will work for you."

AnonymousCupcake (taken for 10 years or more) September 21, 2016

Abreva (docosanol): "Don't waste your money on this. All this product does is take away the pain. I got this as soon as i felt a cold sore coming and applied it religiously and it did nothing for me. On the 4th day of my outbreak someone told me to try "New Skin" its a type of liquid bandaid, got it at wallmart for 4$. Less than 12 hours after putting new skin on the outbreak has drastically gone down in size and the nasty scabs were gone. It just looked like a small burn."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2016

Abreva (docosanol): "It works great! It helps numbs the pain a lot which helps. It also speeds up the healing process. If I start using it the second I feel the tingle sometimes the blister doesn't even form! If I can't get another tube before it starts to blister but I can get to it within a day, it shortens the time I have it from 7 days to only 2 maybe 3. Totally worth it! I've dealt with these all my life, it's nice to have something out there that works."

Sweetshaunna (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 17, 2016

Abreva (docosanol): "So I started getting cold sores when I was young but as I grew older I had stopped getting them. Anyway I got a cold sore 2 days before my 20th birthday, right? I mean I was completely devastated so I searched online and found some reviews on Abreva. I headed out to purchase it (yes, small tube, very expensive). I thought it was worth the try but I wasn't expecting much. Two days later my cold sore was barely visible and to be honest, I'm only doing this review because I do think the product was worth the price and it actually works."

Anonymous September 10, 2016

Abreva (docosanol): "I usually use acyclovir to treat my cold sores. Didn't have it with me and bought abreva. This product didn't have any effect. Cold sore kept getting bigger, forming new blisters. This is the worst, more and bigger blisters than I ever had. A waste of money."

Kfvugdd September 9, 2016

Abreva (docosanol): "this and campho phenique are the best cold sore medicines you can get, or at least for me they work. The catch is I have to apply them immediately after I feel the uncomfortable tingling, even before it breaks through the skin. If I wait for even a small bump to form before applying it, it will take at least 5-6 days before it starts to disappear. But if I do it immediately, the cold sore won't form. I'm on day 3 and my cold sore is almost gone. It bumped up very slightly the 2nd day but it wasn't even noticeable. It didn't turn red or white or that gross yellow color when it scabs over. Just looked like an incredibly tiny skin toned pimple. And now it's smaller and flat and almost completely gone. But tonight it will be none existent "

Samlovesham September 8, 2016

Abreva (docosanol): "Didn't work. Put it on the moment I got a tingle. 2 days later I still broke out . Day 8 now and it's still here. Waste of money for what you get."

Dougve September 7, 2016

Abreva (docosanol): "I'm on day 5 and it's scabbing, thinking it will be here until day 8-10, it didn't really help speed up healing, and I used it before the blisters appeared, when my lips felt tight in one spot..."

Didn't really speed healing September 2, 2016

Abreva (docosanol): "This product definitely works! Please be forewarned that the pump style tube may stop working. Since mine stopped working before I could use it a second time, I decided to take it apart to pull out the medicine. What I found was a small pea sized amount within the overly long casing. Don't mistake the outer case as the amount you get because you are being ripped off! I bought the tube style & it has 3x more product even though both styles claim to have the same amount."

Cmariek August 29, 2016

Abreva (docosanol): "So worth it. No product has helped except abreva. I put it on as soon as I realize I'm getting a cold sore and within 2-4 days its gone. Tip don't let your thing burst or this product can't help you. Only works if used before you pop the blister and the blister won't pop."

George l (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 25, 2016

Abreva (docosanol): "This product does not work. At all. Do NOT spend money on this product!!!!! It works no better than a .99 cent chapstick. Complete waste of money!!!!!!!"

Cuttyj (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2016

Abreva (docosanol): "Absolute rip off and scam. You pay 20-30 USD for this. this medication is no better than hydrogen paroxide which actually gives you more superior results and costs you nothing at all. A bottle of hydrogen peroxide can last you for years and costs 50 cents. anti viral cream has no effect on virus I can assure you that."

The Physician August 21, 2016

Abreva (docosanol): "This product didn't work. Felt a little bump in the morning, applied Abreva throughout the day. My blister is full blown. This product is garbage."

1976Pa (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2016

Abreva (docosanol): "I think this product works to some extent. It isn't a magic bullet for me, but maybe cuts down on the length of a cold sore by perhaps 2 days. It is quite expensive for the extremely tiny amount of product you get. I would caution against buying the pump version of this product, it dispenses far too much of the preciously priced cream and you end up wasting it. Buy the old fashioned squeeze tube instead and apply as directed."

Shane0001 (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2016

Abreva (docosanol): "Did not work. I used it a day after I felt a small bump. I bought first thing in the morning, used it accordingly and did not see any quicker than usual improvement. Expensive for a very small bottle. I suppose it it did work for me it would be worth it and I would use it at least 3 cycles. However, it did nothing. My advice let it run its course. I'm day 12 now and it's almost gone. Not completely. Highly disappointed with the product."

Claire Davis August 14, 2016

Abreva (docosanol): "I have had cold sore all my life, and usually get them 1-2 times a year until I found Abreva about 8 years ago. It worked well for me, put it on a soon as i felt the tingle and the sore would never develop . However the past three times that i had a cold sore it did not help at all. the really weird thing is that the last three that i got came with no warning. i would wake up in the morning and boom it is already on my lip and developing. This one lasted for 8 days, i am planning to talk with my doc about something stronger."

Hollywood b August 9, 2016

"I must admit this cream works wonders. Usually when i feel a tingle i rapidly start applying the cream accordingly . It may 2-3 days for it to completely go away , but the healing time is cut short. helps with the embarrassment when talking to folks and all they can see if a little red sore. Abreva is great topical cream."

WMtx August 4, 2016

Abreva (docosanol): "I bought this after I had my first breakout in years, it wasn't that bad but I had an event coming up and wanted it to be gone asap. So I go to the pharmacy buy this really expensive product, apply it just like the package said to and it got worse and took longer to completely heal. The cream was painful and just prolonged everything. I stupidly decided to give it another chance and the next time was even worse. After that I started having breakouts all the time, sometimes twice a month. I wrote the company and complained but no one bothered to write back. Since then I've been using high doses of vitamin c and it's awesome. I take 6000mg vitamin c right when I feel one coming on and it prevents it 99% of the time."

thelittlestfox August 2, 2016

Abreva (docosanol): "I had run out of Zovirax cream and was waiting a day or so on a refill from my dr. I was having a bad breakout with 4 on my lips, ugh!! I read a lot of reviews for Abreva and wish I went with my guy and not buy this crap (for $25 to boot)! Doesn't work whatsoever. One review said that they actually woke up the next morning with another sore - and so did I! So upset with this product I may write a letter to them demanding a refund."

Jenn1281 July 17, 2016

Abreva (docosanol): "I suffer from sold sores very often (couple of times per year), and usually I treat them with Zovirax, a Aciclovir cream. Apparently in the US, you need to have a prescription for it, which I didn't have the time and money for, so I bought the next best thing the pharmacist recommended to buy off the shelf. I was very skeptical at first, but I have to say IT WORKS! After 2.5 days, my cold sore is almost gone - that's faster than how it works with the Aciclovir cream! The cold sore got smaller each time applied the cream (I applied it more than 5 times a day), and I also started to use it after the blisters had appeared already. I can definitely recommend this cream!"

A. from Europe June 26, 2016

Abreva (docosanol): "I constantly get cold sores . I think it's because I lick my lips to often instead of using Chapstick. But I always keep two bottles of Abreva in my house. The price might throw you off. But it works miracles, gets rid of my blister in a day or two. Love it, can't live without it. Highly Recommend It to everyone !"

HeressAlex June 13, 2016

Abreva (docosanol): "Love this stuff. It is worth every penny. For me, not only did it reduce healing time significantly, I stopped getting cold sores almost completely. I used to get them all the time from kissing, heat, alcohol, etc. I have the scar tissue to prove it. Any reoccurrences of cold soars has been minimal and infrequent."

Ava 51 June 6, 2016

Abreva (docosanol): "I have tried it twice already. It did not speed up the healing process both times. It takes 10 days with or without Abreva. Waste of money."

Dude1985honest June 2, 2016

Abreva (docosanol): "I had a cold sore on the side of my mouth (not exaggerating) for two months ,it would start to heal then right before it would get better it would come back . I finally went and got some abreva after checking the reviews and it worked like a miracle in such a short time, I just could not believe it. I'm so happy with it, I'm here writing good reviews"

Ace1in May 29, 2016

Abreva (docosanol): "Works great! Really did speed up healing!"

BubbleGumPop May 16, 2016