User Reviews for Docosanol

Also known as: Abreva

Learn more about Docosanol.

Docosanol Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 56 medications used in the treatment of Herpes Simplex.

Reviews for Docosanol to treat Herpes Simplex

Abreva (docosanol): "I had my doubts about this product based of the negative reviews about it comparing its effectiveness to its cost. I started getting a cold sore yesterday morning and a bump started forming by the time I got off work. I went to buy Abreva and I had used it a total of four times sincerely last night and right now (less than 24 hours). I'll admit that the bump did get bigger overnight reaching its full size (which normally takes me about thee days) and just about half an hour ago, the cold sore finally popped after this fourth application. Cold sores for me usually pop by day five. True to its advertising, it has extremely reduced my healing time. I think people are expecting too much now that I have had my own experience with Abreva."

Minnnesotanbynature (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol): "Save your money ! Abreva is not only expensive, IT DOES NOT work. I used it for the first 3 days from the first tingle. My cold sore did not get smaller it just kept growing. Searched the wed for other alternatives and came across Vicks rub. So glad I gave it a try. Instant pain relief with the Vicks and blister is getting better within a few hours !"

Vanhef April 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol): "Made my blisters worse and didn't relieve my pain . It's too expensive to not work. Will never buy again"

Peanut6708 April 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol): "I get cold sores when I go in excessive sun at least once a year. I could see that the sore was coming this time around, so I grabbed some abreva. Not only did it seem to be of little affect, but it made my blister grow more than I have seen it without treating it with anything. The Abreva takes the pain away, but as for the blistering, it only makes it larger."

Monty2435 April 19, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol): "I mean, it looks like badly chapped lips but my cold sores are stress induced so they don't look or feel like most of the conditions described on this page. Either way, my symptoms were flaring up, my lips were cracking, a little bit of bleeding, some scarring. I had to do so much exfoliating, it wasn't pretty and it wasn't healing. Legit, 15 minutes after applying abreva - my lips actually look fine. Like nothing was wrong in the first place. I can't believe it. It's actual magic. Wild."

Abreva = magic (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol): "I'm shocked to read people say this stuff makes your cold sore disappear because I have tried it numerous times and every time my cold sore grows to be huge. Yesterday I drove to the pharmacy when I felt the tingling. I had a tiny blister and I proceeded to apply the abreva. I kept reapplying every 3 to 4 hours and it only seemed to get worse. Woke up in the morning and it was as if I hadn't used anything! The only thing I will say is that my cold sores last about 3-4 days with abreva (at least I think it's because of abreva). I do however need something better for my $21."

Lele83 April 17, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol): "This stuff doesn't work!!!"

DanielleM88 April 17, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol): "I used to pop cold sores then put rubbing alcohol on it but it would scar bad. So I went to the emergency room they gave me an awesome cream! But I lost the cream and I couldn't get a doctors appointment quick enough so I bought abreva for the first time. At first I thought it was working because it looked like it was drying up the blister fast then put some on before bed but then the next day it started to break out near the blister so I put more on then It started to break out a little more so I put more on extra for a week it has gotten 3 times bigger looked on here saw the negative comments quickly washed it off and bam within 5 minutes it was worse! 5 minutes after removal it was drying up and feeling better! Never using abreva again!"

Agoodnickname (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol): "Right before bed I felt the tingle and saw the tiny hint of a cold sore. Not new to this, and knowing I couldn't get prescription meds until the next day, I sent my husband to the store to get Abeva. I applied it that night and in the morning and again mid morning. I went to the doctor in the afternoon to get a prescription medication. Before I got home from the pharmacy I had a HUGE cold sore. I took the meds and continued the Abreva. The cold sore continued to grow in size and is hideous. I stopped the Abreva and am using Petroleum on the lip with the medication. It's slowly getting better now. I'll never use Abreva ever again."

333rmd (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol): "The tube is a pump Fake. Used it for one day , and next day its gone. It seems like its more than how much is actually in there. Use sparingly. I'd just recommend the push tube , because then you can monitor how much you're actually using. This stuff works well I swear by it. Go get it. The doctors tried to give me a 200 dollar medication -- hahaha not this time. I'd rather pay 40 dollars for two of these."

c square (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol): "One morning I woke up with a tiny unnoticeable cold sore so I decided to get abreva and so I cleaned the area of the sore an put it on with clean hands an went to bed. I woke up this morning with a huge cold sore that is now spreading bad . Never use it again"

NessaW March 18, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol): "I'm surprised to see any negative reviews, I guess everyone's body reacts differently and Abreva is no different. It works for me. I've been using it for the past 6 years or more at the first sign I get, usually a tingle or tenderness on the lip. Even if a sore has already formed it seems to quickly stop it in its tracks. Definitely pricey, but the little bottle lasts me years. Love Abreva for doing what it's advertised to do!"

Cza (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 18, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol): "My doctor recommended I buy abrevea. I used it several times and it did temporarily help with the pain however when I woke up in the morning my sore was gooey and looked like it had melted all over it cause it to spread on other parts of my lip."

Tdp2345 February 25, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol): "I am so impressed with this product. Thursday morning started to get tingling and bubbles, went to the pharmacy and purchased abreva in the afternoon and applied as Directed since then... Here I am Saturday afternoon and already scabbing and drying up. Wow, thanks Abreva !"

Julydream (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol): "This product saves me all the time, if any one has issues they should be sure to consider how to maintain your lip on the path of healing. Examples: DO NOT LICK LIPS, it is such a terrible way to spread to the other parts of your lips and also the inside. I also advise to make sure you put chap-stick to moisten the rest of your lips but not including the infected area because you will spread it. Best advise I can give you is apply Abreva as soon as you feel even the slightest bump. It helps it prevent it and quicken the process. Make sure you use a Q-tip because I think the best way to cure a cold sore is being very clean with it and fast to cure. Abreva is probably best in the market and the first to consider."

Abreva is my best friend February 17, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol): "I woke up in the morning with redness at the site and a very slight bump that I could tell would soon form into a blister. I immediately applied Abreva to the site as instructed, and continued re-applying every 40 minutes or so within 3 hours the cold sore erupted into a full blown multi-blister sore. I quickly removed what ever was there and began to apply Zovirax. I have used it before but wanted to give Abreva a try. I WILL THROW AWAY WHATEVER I HAVE BOUGHT AND WILL NEVER USE ABREVA Again. It literally made it 100 times worse."

MasinMary February 16, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol): "THIS STUFF IS GREAT. Everyone's experiance with coldsores is different but with Abreva mine never turns into a scab. AS SOON AS YOU FEEL A TINGLE USE THE CREAM. The faster the better. It's expensive but works. ITS THE ONLY THING THAT WORKS "

Cold sore guy (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 12, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol): "got my first cold sore in 2010. started first with a tingle, then itchy, then inflammation as the blister tried to make it to the surface. There was a raised, circular shape where I knew the cold sore was coming. Rushed to Walmart to get abreva (back then it was still in the tube and $16) and applied it about every 2-3 hrs that day. The blister itself never actually was able to form into an unsightly sore (no scab), though I still saw the circular, raised area which took about 3-4 days to fully disappear. Over the course of a year, I had about 3 more cold sores in the same spot, always applied abreva at the first tingle and it never surfaced. This week got a cold sore for the first time in 7 years, put on abreva and again, never surfaced"

Annie1234578 February 9, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol): "Don't buy the abreva pump. It's a rip off. I've used abreva for years. The pump gives the impression of being more. There scam is when you push the pump way more cream gets expelled than needed. I'm half way through my outbreak and totally out of cream. Just open it up and see the tiny tiny little tube Time to go on prescription . To bad for this corporate company I'm tired of being ripped off by these thieves."

Anonymous February 9, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol): "I am so happy with this products. Everytime I get a high fever which is usually once or twice and year I always have a break out of fever blisters. I have tried everything under the sun from ice, tea bags, herpicin L, releev, carmex... Anything and it would always take a 3-4 weeks to just see it start to scab. I bought Abreva yesterday morning and it is already at the scabbing stage and I had a fever blister start the day before. I apply every 2-3 hours and its working great! I do make sure the wash and dry hands before and after applying abreva."

Total Embarrassment (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol): "Works pretty darn good. You have to apply it diligently though- every 2 hours. Do not apply gobs of it but a thin layer with a Q-tip. Throw away the Q-tip so you don't cross contaminate!! Use Abreva right when you notice your lip tingle or itch. I also ice my lip for as long as I can stand to prevent the virus from replicating. It loves a warm environment. Ice kills it. I recommend icing, then applying a fresh layer of Abreva and taking Valtrex or acyclovir (1G). It should prevent your sore from growing and possibly eliminate it entirely if you catch it quickly enough."

MsRainbowBrite99 (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 1, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have suffered from cold sores my entire life. Abreva is the only thing that works for me. It is a miracle drug! I also start taking L-lysine at the first sign of a cold sore. the two things in combination have turned me lifelong suffering into a barely noticeable minor irritation. The only complaint I have is the new pump bottle which dispenses more cream than needed. The medicine is too expensive to waste like that."

WhateverJ January 27, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol): "This stuff is seriously the best thing I've tried. I applied it within the first couple hours of noticing a cold sore bump start to grow and it never even developed into a full blown cold sore. It was completely gone in 3 days, and during those 3 days it wasnt even bad or noticeable. Absolutely worth the price. will repurchase when I run out."

GG55xo January 24, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol): "100% works for me! and my family! thank you for this wonderful cream! "

svetochkaG January 19, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol): "I have suffered from cold sores since I was a toddler. It was miserable getting them several times a year as a child with no remedy. Just two+ weeks of misery and embarassment because those suckers would always sit right in the middle of my bottom lip. When abreva came out I was so desparate to try it and it works for me. If you use it the 2nd day of getting a cold sore , no it is not going to work as well because the virus is now going nice and strong. It will help with the pain and aggravation and will still help shorten its life span a bit but not as much as within the first 8hrs of getting one. I also use it in conjunction with vicks vapor rub. Sucker dies in under a week and def cuts a lot of the painful scab stage out!"

Katte13 January 19, 2017