User Reviews for Acyclovir to treat Herpes Zoster

Also known as: Zovirax, Sitavig

Acyclovir has an average rating of 7.8 out of 10 from a total of 13 ratings for the treatment of Herpes Zoster. 77% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 15% reported a negative effect.

Acyclovir Rating Summary

7.8/10 average rating

Compare all 26 medications used in the treatment of Herpes Zoster.

Reviews for Acyclovir

Showlove · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 2, 2020

“I have herpes zoster (shingles)in internal, inner ear. Damage to both trigeminal and occipital nerve. Facial paralysis. This medicine possibly saved my life, and the capsule form worked much better than the tablet form for me. It does give me some side effects such as an upset stomach and a weird energizing feeling (less with capsule for me), but if you truly need the medicine, please take it. This virus, if left untreated, can destroy your health and well-being and possibly kill you. Do not underestimate what it can do to your body.”

MS1586 March 13, 2014

“I had a random herpes zoster outbreak (shingles) on my back and was prescribed 800mg 5x day for 7 days. It dried up my blisters within two days and I healed nicely. I did however have headaches and dry mouth with severe nausea and vomiting the last two days on the medication. Those are side effects and being that I was on a strong dose, these side effects really affected me.”

Shingles · Taken for less than 1 month February 9, 2020

“Discovered I had shingles after reading the Google medical journal lol. Started with mysterious left leg flu like feeling, and excruciating burning pain almost to tears on my left butt cheek. Then bumps on my butt. Decided to take monolaurin (dietary supplement) 3-3x/day for 2 days instead of going to dr. I had no pain and rash was going away. I caved and went to dr to get an Rx of an antiviral so I wouldn’t get post neuralgia. After taking for 2 days I now realize it’s messing with my head. It’s making me feel hopeless and no interest. I am going to discontinue and hope for the best. I will continue with Monolaurin as I think it helped stave off additional outbreaks.”

wayney · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 19, 2012

Zovirax (acyclovir): “I've had shingles a total of 6 times because I am immuno-compromised. Each time it was the same area of my back and wrapping around my side to my stomach. I do not recall the first few outbreaks as it was during a time I was so ill that I am basically missing a few months of my life because I was not alert at all during that time. I do recall the last 4 outbreaks. One of the doctors and I have a theory about why I did not notice the burning, itching etc that tends to be very painful and annoying for most people. The meds I am already on. I take pain meds around the clock already as well as taking gabapentin which helps nerve pain. Now on 200mg/day to prevent recurrence. I don't seem to have any issues with medication taken daily.”

kunnu · Taken for less than 1 month August 19, 2018

“I had herpes zoster in April 2017, was prescribed acyclovir 400mg x2 with anti-allergic tabs for seven days and was cured although after-effects were felt for long. Interestingly, I also got rid of another medical condition that had been bothering me for more than a year prior to the herpes attack. After one year, symptoms of old problem (not herpes) developed again. I told doctor about the effect acyclovir tabs had on it a year ago. But the doctor laughed away my observations and prescribed other medicines. When I didn't get relief even after my third visit to her, she reluctantly prescribed acyclovir tabs. I was completely cured after eight days. Before going public with full details, I would like to share it with manufacturers of acyclovir tabs. They may like to initiate some more research on this wonderful drug and arrive at a definitive conclusion vis-a-vis my observations. I may offer myself for clinical trials, if necessary.”

eatme · Taken for less than 1 month December 13, 2019

“The acyclovir from Camber Drug Co. and shaped like a stop sign don't work very well. The last ones I had from another company worked just fine. But now I feel like I'm on the start of a big flair. Been taking this stop sign pill shaped pill for 3 weeks. It fails to do what it should do.”

Tricia Robello April 4, 2013

“So far after one pill, and 34 more to go (5 a day) it feels like the needles are still stabbing me in the upper back. I'm 46 and I had my first outbreak of shingles when I was 17. I had the full blown blisters and all - Knives was the feeling then. The Doc just changed my script from Famvir to this Acyclovir I hope it will work the same. Mine are 800mg 5 times a day and they gave me three refills. They don't know what to do with me.”

sweetpapa February 23, 2012

“I had an out break and I let it go for 3 days and I came to know that is SHINGLES My clinic diagnosis confirmed I was adviced to take acyclovir for a period of 10 days (400mg) five times a day. Even though the blisters were out I am getting that shooting pain 4 to 5 times a day a burning sensation and as if I am attacked with 1000 sharp needles in one time and this pain in my skin frustruates me for the last 8 days. ”

Kay · Taken for less than 1 month December 17, 2020

“I took Acyclovir because of shingles, I had to take 800mg 5x a day for 7 days. On the first day I was okay, second day I felt dizzy and a little nauseous, third day I had severe nausea! Which was horrible! Other symptoms included ....feeling spaced out , stomach cramping , headache , sweating when I was asleep. It’s better to finish the course which I managed to do ! Thank god! However it did clear my rash away”

Harksgirl · Taken for less than 1 month December 12, 2014

“Even though acyclovir was started 8 days after symptoms started, the rash was almost gone within 7 days and should be completely healed in 10.”

Shorty · Taken for less than 1 month February 26, 2020

“Relieved my itching and rash after 1 1/2 days”

fgrtyyh March 11, 2009

Zovirax (acyclovir): “I've used a limited dose every other day for 9 years with no outbreaks.”

tammylouise February 12, 2010

“I take this for shingles and it works really good.”

Learn more about Herpes Zoster