User Reviews for Acetaminophen/diphenhydramine to treat Insomnia

Also known as: Tylenol PM, Headache Relief PM, Percogesic Original Strength, Pain Reliever PM, Percogesic Extra Strength, Excedrin PM, Headache Formula PM, Legatrin PM, Bayer Select Max Strength Night Time Pain, ConRx PM, Acetadryl, Night Time Pain, Unisom PM Pain, Genapap PM, Mapap PM, Counteract PM Extra Strength, Midol PM, Wal-Nadol PM Extra Strength, Tylenol Sore Throat Nighttime, Pharbetol PM Non-Aspirin PM Extra Strength Acetaminophen PM Extra Strength Anacin PM Aspirin Free …show all brand names

Acetaminophen/diphenhydramine has an average rating of 6.3 out of 10 from a total of 27 ratings for the treatment of Insomnia. 56% of those users who reviewed Acetaminophen/diphenhydramine reported a positive effect, while 30% reported a negative effect.

Acetaminophen/diphenhydramine Rating Summary

6.3/10 average rating

Compare all 81 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Acetaminophen/diphenhydramine

Jonathan H · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 10, 2020

Tylenol PM (acetaminophen / diphenhydramine): “I have severe back pain everyday. Just had back fusion surgery in May. It's difficult to get comfortable at night in order to fall asleep. However, after taking two Tylenol PM (the recommended dose) within the hour I'm comfortable enough to doze off. I stay asleep for 6-10 hours most nights. Without it I would maybe get a few hours a night if I was lucky. Hope it works well for everyone else!”

Brooklyntiki · Taken for less than 1 month September 6, 2020

Tylenol PM (acetaminophen / diphenhydramine): “I am delirious after taking Tylenol PM. Super hot, mind racing in a tortured/exhausted state. Have not stopped sweating can't get comfortable. Amplified exhaustion. Not bad enough for urgent care and too messed up to operate a car.”

bb · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 19, 2020

Tylenol PM (acetaminophen / diphenhydramine): “This stuff keeps me awake and feel pretty groggy in the mornings, especially when take 2 tablets. All using with good results take 1 or 2 tablets at bedtime?”

Insomniac · Taken for 10 years or more June 6, 2019

Tylenol PM (acetaminophen / diphenhydramine): “I have used Tylenol PM for a long time to help me fall asleep. Unlike Benadryl, this med actually keeps me asleep as well. However, the BEST effect from Tylenol PM is the dreams. I have had the most wonderful dreams.”

Cyd · Taken for less than 1 month May 16, 2020

Tylenol PM (acetaminophen / diphenhydramine): “It’s pretty effective at helping me sleep, I’m down for usually 10-12 hours. I usually get bad side effects from any medication I’m on, so here are the ones I’ve had. Feeling lightheaded, numbness in feet and legs, heart palpitations, blurred vision. Some of this may be my existing medical conditions but it’s worth mentioning. I don’t think I’d recommend taking this for a long amount of time?? I’m only using it to help me through the rest of school.”

agapeins April 28, 2016

Tylenol PM (acetaminophen / diphenhydramine): “The Tylenol PM worked .... TOO GOOD! After 20 minutes I would have a great night's sleep. I have been taking it for years .... then my son told me the new reports about this causing dementia. I stopped immediately. The side effects after I stopped have been pretty severe. I never dreamt that there would be withdrawals from this until I googled it but I have most of the symptoms (except for the shakes and nightmares).... dizzy, light headedness, nausea, unable to sleep. After all I thought, since I talked to my doctor over and over about them (and he said no problem) and they were over the counter, I was good. WRONG! Bad stuff. Tell everyone you know to stop them.”

Winnny January 26, 2013

Tylenol PM (acetaminophen / diphenhydramine): “I've been taking this med - or just the Benadryl, which is the sleep inducing part of Tylenol PM - for several years now, as needed. It definitely helps me to fall asleep more easily when I might otherwise lay awake for an hour or two. I did notice that it seems to loose its effectiveness somewhat if I use it too frequently. I've had no noticeable side effects.”

Anonymous October 24, 2012

Tylenol PM (acetaminophen / diphenhydramine): “When I take this medication I sleep through the night with no pain but wake up restless and feeling anxious and nervous all day. Also I get heart palpitations and difficult breathing. You have to be careful with this over the counter medication.”

BritTex September 29, 2008

Tylenol PM (acetaminophen / diphenhydramine): “I've taken other prescription sleep medications in the past but they do tend to make your drowsy and have all sorts of side effects. I suffer from rheumatoid arthritis and the pain stops me from sleeping. I now take this at bedtime with a small dose prescribed codeine. Between the painkillers and the "sleep" effect of the Tylenol, I truly can't believe how well I am sleeping! Just be aware that this can really make you fall asleep fast so do be ready for bed. I've spoken to four other people who have various pain problems and they all love this medication too.”

Sarah087 · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 15, 2018

Tylenol PM (acetaminophen / diphenhydramine): “Well I take this on & off, especially when we are low on melatonin or I can't simply sleep on melatonin. Some nights I can't sleep with taking it, and I take both. Then it may take me a bit to actually fall asleep but I usually sleep 10/12 hours on it! My daughter told me she couldn't get me up the other day, I told her I remember her saying something to her & she was like yah but you wouldn't get out if bed. ”

Auntj · Taken for less than 1 month January 5, 2017

Tylenol PM (acetaminophen / diphenhydramine): “I will never take this again. Woke with such a dry mouth I could barely swallow, and a need to use my inhaler. This is NOT a usual thing for me. Reading today, I see that anyone with asthma etc should not use this. I would echo that. I did sleep but still feel unwell and glad I only took TWO.”

Anonymous March 15, 2012

Tylenol PM (acetaminophen / diphenhydramine): “I really like this pill besides the fact that I sleep all day. I take the pill every few days at about 12, when I'm not tired and 15 minutes later I become drowsy. About 30 minutes after that, I'm asleep. but I tend to sleep really late. I don't hear my alarms and I can't get myself out of bed. If you do take this I would consider taking it earlier than you normally would. Other then that this pill is the best I have found and works great just like it says.”

dogsgrandma · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 26, 2012

Tylenol PM (acetaminophen / diphenhydramine): “This medicine works well for me as a sleep agent and also reduces the itching from mosquito bites. However, I have to be careful when I take it because it seems to last for a couple of days. The "withdrawal" from it the next day includes increased pain.”

imjustme · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 16, 2013

Acetaminophen PM Extra Strength (acetaminophen / diphenhydramine): “I have body aches. I'm only 21 and falling apart and I have a real hard time getting to sleep, so I take one or two of these at night depending on my tiredness or achiness, and about 30 minutes to an hour I'm pretty much asleep and almost always stay asleep for 7-9 hours. I normally wake up with no achiness and feeling like I got a pretty decent nights rest. ”

fleajo September 20, 2013

Excedrin PM (acetaminophen / diphenhydramine): “I love these. When I feel like I will have trouble sleeping, I take 1 pill. That usually works. If it doesn't I take another one. No side effects except sometimes my dreams are better. No hangover. My sister can not take them, they make her groggy.”

Anonymous March 19, 2008

“I don't normally like to take pills for anything unless it's prescription for a real reason but when I need to sleep, I use these. I took one the other night and knocked me out cold, only 1. I have to cut 1 in half so I don't wake up sleeping.”

Kris · Taken for less than 1 month August 12, 2019

Tylenol PM (acetaminophen / diphenhydramine): “Helped me fall asleep when I had severe sinus infection, and helped me sleep through the night.”

Amanda · Taken for less than 1 month February 27, 2020

Tylenol PM (acetaminophen / diphenhydramine): “this stuff didn't work ! Kept me up all night and I was thinking one hundred thoughts per minute ....”

Pony princess 224 · Taken for less than 1 month April 12, 2015

Tylenol PM (acetaminophen / diphenhydramine): “Amazing made me sleep the whole night while I had insomnia. I give it a 2 thumbs up”

Insomnia6872 · Taken for less than 1 month April 18, 2020

Tylenol PM (acetaminophen / diphenhydramine): “It made me very down to be honest but still I tossed and turned for hours before I eventually got about 2 hours sleep”

Jayrret April 20, 2016

Tylenol PM (acetaminophen / diphenhydramine): “Mom took it for years and it caused her to have dementia!! Do not take it long term!!!!!”

MOs November 23, 2019

Tylenol PM (acetaminophen / diphenhydramine): “Does not put me to sleep long and give my stomach a ache I’ll stick with Benadryl”

patty · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 16, 2018

Tylenol PM (acetaminophen / diphenhydramine): “it helps me sleep but I still wake up, and feel tired for awhile”

Anonymous January 15, 2012

Tylenol PM (acetaminophen / diphenhydramine): “The last several times I have taken this I have become itchy and restless all night.”

Penishfddjhggh May 11, 2017

Tylenol PM (acetaminophen / diphenhydramine): “Great”

allyoop13 July 12, 2013

Tylenol PM (acetaminophen / diphenhydramine): “Works great for me.”

Anonymous March 11, 2008

Excedrin PM (acetaminophen / diphenhydramine): “It helped me fall asleep and get a full night of sleep. It was not hard for me to stop taking it. I did not wake up feeling grogy.”

Nickname01 · Taken for less than 1 month April 8, 2014

Headache Relief PM (acetaminophen / diphenhydramine): “Good mostly for pain that keeps you awake, not something to take daily.”

Learn more about Insomnia