User Reviews for 5-HTP

Insomnia
5.7

Summary of 5-HTP reviews 7.2 75 reviews

Reviews for 5-HTP

"Unfortunately 5HTP hasn't helped me with feeling low in fact I felt worse the first few days and didn't improve. I don't know if anyone else had this reaction."

Rita B (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 4, 2019

For Anxiety "I have been suffering with anxiety & depression for 16 years. 10 years ago I took Zoloft & had therapy for a few years but have been on my own with it for 6 years. Recently it was getting hard to deal with again. I tried some herbal routes and St. John’s wort & ashwagandha make me manic. A few months ago someone suggested 5-htp which I eventually went out & got some. Game changer. I’m small (4’10” 95lbs) so I take 50mg every other day- or every three days. If I’m still experiencing a mildly uplifting mood or lack of intrusive thoughts I just keep going without taking another pill. It’s been super helpful & I never thought I’d be able to live like this. This is the first relief I have found that actually feels healthy & not that I’m just masking part of my sensitivity."

Helen March 13, 2019

"Hello, I hope for the following combination a drive-enhancing and motivating effect in a good mood. So I started my experiment 2 weeks ago: I took 200 mg 5-HTP 3 times daily, 900 mg St. John's Wort 3 times a day and 1950 mg L-tyrosine twice daily. St. John's wort acts as a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) and 5-HTP increases serotonin levels. The effects should therefore influence each other positively. I took the L-tyrosine to increase my concentration on the work. I know that this is a high starting dose, but my curiosity and lack of respect for drugs have won. ^^ After 11 days I feel that I have become a little emotionless and much in thoughts. The St. John's wort works only after 4-6 weeks, so I will carry out my experiment for a while."

w33d February 28, 2019

For Anxiety "Was diagnosed with anxiety and depression about 4 years ago, went down the SSRI route on and off. With SSRI you felt like I was just going with the motions like being on auto pilot with no real get up and go. I switched to 5HTP at 50mg for a few weeks and noticed a difference, no side effects, eating healthy, getting up early, getting out and about and just feeling better about myself, mistakes that I used to think about are now in the past. Only negative I noticed was that the effects seem to differ from different brands of 5HTP. I don’t go for a cheaper option that offered twice the strength, go for a smaller quantity and try different brands until you find the most effective"

w1ll1ams46 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2019

For Anxiety "I found this treatment in Boots under the product name Sharp Mind, it's combined with other natural ingredients. It started to work very quickly and my anxiety and depression has been much better, but I have found that it is giving me strange dreams both good and bad, sometimes very vivid. I still think that overall I have improved in my mood and I'll continue to take it for now. I'm only a week in but I quite like feeling happier and don't want to go back to my old feelings. I think it's important to take care of the dosage as we all have different tolerances, some people are taking 50mg plus and I think that much would be way too much for me, so basically I'm saying it's good to start with a low dose."

D February 8, 2019

For Anxiety "Combined with therapy, I can almost say for sure that 5-HTP helps me. After a really painful breakup, I was having looping suicidal thoughts (the thought of a gun going "bang" all the time) and was in a really sordid mood overall. A week or so into taking 100mg 3x daily, I felt I was going better although I didn't necessarily think 5-HTP had played a role (I'm kind of skeptical person). I thought my improving mood was 100% due to a therapy with someone who really cares. I finished my 1-month supply bottle and stopped taking. Within a day or two, my mood mysteriously took a hard hit. Just today I bought a new bottle. I'm pretty sure it'll help me again. I can't compare to big pharma meds because I never took them. I take this combined with Omega-3. I like the fact that there are 0 side effects for me. I'll continue taking 5-HTP, at least for a while. 5-HTP isn't especially cheap, but it's worth a try if your symptoms are really messing with your life."

perleane (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 2, 2019

For Anxiety "I took 2 pills about 2 hours ago. The back of the bottle said too. They are 100mg each. I have really bad anxiety which leads to my panic attack. It's been happening more often than not. Anyway I took 2 pills about 2 hours ago. Not feeling too good right now. My stomach feels yucky. I feel a little warm. Definitely not hungry, and I'm tired. I feel crappy actually. I've never tried these before. Maybe my body is trying to adjust. I will keep taking them, but only take one a day. I really need this to work. My anxiety is getting the best of Me."

Abigail (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2019

For Anxiety "I’ve been taking this stuff for over a month. I’m on my second bottle. I am less irritable and less anxious. Every time I take it, about 10 minutes later I feel energetic again. I am hoping it will help me completely in another month or so. Bare in mind, it takes a while to notice improvement. Could take weeks to a month. Be patient."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 12, 2019

For Anxiety "Used generic at 100 mgs for slight depression mild anxiety. Got skipped heartbeats especially upon any muscular exercise and was becoming increasingly worse. Figured out this was the only new supplement I had started and used for 1 month. It certainly helped me into a deep sleep, but the skipped heartbeats ( like 40 in one minute ). Scared me- so I stopped. In two days following, my heart returned to normal rhythm. Starting a different brand now at 50 mgs— will keep you posted after one month."

Janelle (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2019

For Anxiety "Retired LEO ( Law Enforcement Officer) with PTSD & GAD. Have tried the Big Pharma route, assorted Tricylics, SSRI'S and many drugs that had names ending with "Pam". All had major side effects so gave them all up. Been drug free for over a decade but its been a daily battle with intrusive thoughts, mood swings, depression, over the top anxiety, lots of nightmares, flashbacks. Finally gave this a try. Started with 100mgs per day in conjunction with b complex vitamins. After a week, I must say that I'm feeling more grounded than I have in years. Even my wife has noticed a big difference. Going to increase it another 50mgs per day and we'll see how it goes from there."

Jiggs (taken for less than 1 month) October 1, 2018

For Anxiety "Just started and noticed the difference overnight. No more stomach churning or ulcer like pain. Was tested for ulcer- negative. Feeling relaxed and a lot smoother. A little dry mouth and I know there's something in my system but no overwhelming or harsh. Started with 50 mgs."

gbgould (taken for less than 1 month) September 13, 2018

For Anxiety "5HTP has helped me manage my anxiety and after years of PTSD related nightmares, I'm finally sleeping properly. It's helped massively with suicidal ideation, even during better times the intrusive thoughts were always lurking. For the first 7-10 days I did have quite noticeable side effects, headaches, feeling nauseous and shaking a little but I continued to take it as TBH it was better than side effects of prescribed anti depressants I've experienced in the past , which is probably not the most sensible but now I'm happy I did. I take this with a combination of L-tyrosine and B vitamins and magnesium. Probably also worth mentioning is the ease I've managed to sort out my binge eating, I've lost 13kg in the last 4 months which has been a fantastic thing for me and now my BMI is back in the healthy range."

Anonymous August 24, 2018

For Anxiety "Took 100mg about an hour and a half ago and I feel so comfortable like I the air is giving me a hug, almost like I am lightly stoned. his could be a total placebo effect, as it’s the first time taking it but I hope not. I’m also very content, nice long deep breaths, extremely calm. I look forward to the next couple of days/ weeks taking this and will keep you posted. I usually have social anxiety but couldn’t tell you if it has any effect on the severity of my anxiety as of yet as I’m in my home (I never get anxiety in my home) , will go to work and see... :)"

Cas April 24, 2018

For Anxiety "I was recommended this by a close family friend who also suffers from anxiety. I took 50mg a couple of times a week a few months ago and didn't notice a change or any negative side effects at that time. I have been feeling more anxious over the past few weeks due to hormonal imbalance/other issues so I decided to try again one night when the anxiety was really bad just to see if it could alleviate some of it. I took 1 50mg capsule about an hour after dinner and for the first few hours after I took it I actually felt noticeably less anxious. At one point, my entire body felt very peaceful and relaxed and almost had a warm feeling to it. It did not help me sleep though like some people commented, I woke up multiple times throughout the night and tossed and turned and then around 6AM woke up feeling nauseous, wide awake, and anxious again. I'm not sure if this is because of my hormonal imbalance issues right now or side effects from this, but not sure its worth it to try again."

Anna April 24, 2018

For Anxiety "I switched to this from Zoloft. I am doing so much better. The zoloft caused pretty severe side effects, but this has no side effects for me. My mood is better, my sleep is better. I am under the careful watch of a naturopath. This in combination with a B-complex (to help natural serotonin production) has made me a completely different person. Hallelujah!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2018

For Headache "5HTP has made all the difference to my life. I have suffered with debilitating menstrual migraines for years, also PMT/depression. This wonderful natural drug takes the edge off it massively and enables me to function much more normally. I take 200mg at night about a week before my period when I feel my head/mood change. About a week after my period when I typically start to feel more normal, I reduce to 100mg. Unfortunately, I can't manage without it now, but it has no side effects so I am extremely thankful for it - it has literally saved my life."

Devon (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 27, 2018

For Anxiety "Only started taking this for a few days. After experiencing mild anxiety and insomnia I Started with 200mg and noticed immediate improvement with sleep and anxiety. I found a boost in concentration and therefore better memory which helped with work & socially . 200mg was a high dose to start off with, in which I had nausea. Some tips for people. Start at 50mg if first dose, and consume with a light carb heavy meal, avoid caffeine if possible. I feel like that if you cycling use (I.e 1 month on 1 month off) it will reduce the likelihood of tolerance & dependance. I decided to not take it for a day and noticed withdrawal anxiety, it may be worth tapering off dose instead of going cold turkey. To conclude, this is excellent for anxiety and sleep. Although not for everyone."

Medman5 (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2018

"Hi there, in SA I took Tryptophan over 15 years and melatonin and felt fine. For pain and sleep!!!"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) December 14, 2017

For Anxiety "I've only been taking 5-htp for a few days to see if it helps my anxiety at all, and already it definitely does seem to do something! It makes me feel very warm and relaxed, like there's a deep relaxation in my chest and stomach, these effects start within an hour of dosing."

Christopherson December 6, 2017

For Anxiety "Well I had high hopes for this supplement and must say it didn't work for me. I had stomach cramps, fatigue and overall sense of anxiety. Unfortunately a waste of money for me."

Naturefirst (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2017

For Anxiety "So good for short term use. I used for over a 2 year period cycling it out every 4 months for 4 weeks. Took it with magnesium at bedtime and found it very helpful for reducing attacks. Also had very restful sleeps with it."

Mrs.v (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 15, 2017

For Anxiety "I have been on anxiolytics and antidepressants for 15 years. I wanted to give them up and go natural. I must say, I can not believe it has not been recommended to me before! I guess it's because it takes away from their business. My first 200 mg dose, I became a little nauseous but I hadn't eaten before taking it. I am amazed at how my mood has improved. I also used to smoke marijuana and when I stopped, I missed the way it gave me patience with my children. I would smoke and all of the sudden, the messes and yelling didn't bother me. Unfortunately it's not legal in texas so I needed to stop. After two months of irritability, I have now found some thing natural and legal that gave me my patience back and my children their loving mother back!"

Carbear November 6, 2017

For Anxiety "I was very optimistic about this supplement. Unfortunately for me personally I had major sharp pains in my right side of my abdomen (possibly my liver). It even woke me up at night. I couldn't take it anymore as it seemed unsafe to continue. The brand I used was "Now" brand. Maybe it was the brand. However I would caution others to be careful if they also get sharp stabbing pains. Happy it helped others. Didn't agree with me."

Michelle7171! November 3, 2017

For Anxiety "Used this for moderate anxiety and depression at 400mg 30 mins before bed it worked very well, I take this 3 months on with 1 month off."

Mark68888 October 7, 2017

For Anxiety "I started to feel its effects fully after about a week. At first I didn't think it helped with my mood much, that my mood had improved on its own. However, when I stopped taking it my mood dropped to how it had been before. I take 400mg in the evenings and feel calmer and sleepier. Haven't noticed any side effects. Give 5-HTP some time to work, at least a few days or maybe a week. It is a great alternative medicine, in my opinion."

nicola2492 July 26, 2017

More about 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan)