User Reviews for 5-HTP

Insomnia
5.7

Summary of 5-HTP reviews 7.2 65 reviews

Reviews for 5-HTP

For Anxiety "Took 100mg about an hour and a half ago and I feel so comfortable like I the air is giving me a hug, almost like I am lightly stoned. his could be a total placebo effect, as it’s the first time taking it but I hope not. I’m also very content, nice long deep breaths, extremely calm. I look forward to the next couple of days/ weeks taking this and will keep you posted. I usually have social anxiety but couldn’t tell you if it has any effect on the severity of my anxiety as of yet as I’m in my home (I never get anxiety in my home) , will go to work and see... :)"

Cas April 24, 2018

For Anxiety "I was recommended this by a close family friend who also suffers from anxiety. I took 50mg a couple of times a week a few months ago and didn't notice a change or any negative side effects at that time. I have been feeling more anxious over the past few weeks due to hormonal imbalance/other issues so I decided to try again one night when the anxiety was really bad just to see if it could alleviate some of it. I took 1 50mg capsule about an hour after dinner and for the first few hours after I took it I actually felt noticeably less anxious. At one point, my entire body felt very peaceful and relaxed and almost had a warm feeling to it. It did not help me sleep though like some people commented, I woke up multiple times throughout the night and tossed and turned and then around 6AM woke up feeling nauseous, wide awake, and anxious again. I'm not sure if this is because of my hormonal imbalance issues right now or side effects from this, but not sure its worth it to try again."

Anna April 24, 2018

For Anxiety "I switched to this from Zoloft. I am doing so much better. The zoloft caused pretty severe side effects, but this has no side effects for me. My mood is better, my sleep is better. I am under the careful watch of a naturopath. This in combination with a B-complex (to help natural serotonin production) has made me a completely different person. Hallelujah!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2018

For Headache "5HTP has made all the difference to my life. I have suffered with debilitating menstrual migraines for years, also PMT/depression. This wonderful natural drug takes the edge off it massively and enables me to function much more normally. I take 200mg at night about a week before my period when I feel my head/mood change. About a week after my period when I typically start to feel more normal, I reduce to 100mg. Unfortunately, I can't manage without it now, but it has no side effects so I am extremely thankful for it - it has literally saved my life."

Devon (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 27, 2018

For Anxiety "Only started taking this for a few days. After experiencing mild anxiety and insomnia I Started with 200mg and noticed immediate improvement with sleep and anxiety. I found a boost in concentration and therefore better memory which helped with work & socially . 200mg was a high dose to start off with, in which I had nausea. Some tips for people. Start at 50mg if first dose, and consume with a light carb heavy meal, avoid caffeine if possible. I feel like that if you cycling use (I.e 1 month on 1 month off) it will reduce the likelihood of tolerance & dependance. I decided to not take it for a day and noticed withdrawal anxiety, it may be worth tapering off dose instead of going cold turkey. To conclude, this is excellent for anxiety and sleep. Although not for everyone."

Medman5 (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2018

"Hi there, in SA I took Tryptophan over 15 years and melatonin and felt fine. For pain and sleep!!!"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) December 14, 2017

For Anxiety "I've only been taking 5-htp for a few days to see if it helps my anxiety at all, and already it definitely does seem to do something! It makes me feel very warm and relaxed, like there's a deep relaxation in my chest and stomach, these effects start within an hour of dosing."

Christopherson December 6, 2017

For Anxiety "Well I had high hopes for this supplement and must say it didn't work for me. I had stomach cramps, fatigue and overall sense of anxiety. Unfortunately a waste of money for me."

Naturefirst (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2017

For Anxiety "So good for short term use. I used for over a 2 year period cycling it out every 4 months for 4 weeks. Took it with magnesium at bedtime and found it very helpful for reducing attacks. Also had very restful sleeps with it."

Mrs.v (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 15, 2017

For Anxiety "I have been on anxiolytics and antidepressants for 15 years. I wanted to give them up and go natural. I must say, I can not believe it has not been recommended to me before! I guess it's because it takes away from their business. My first 200 mg dose, I became a little nauseous but I hadn't eaten before taking it. I am amazed at how my mood has improved. I also used to smoke marijuana and when I stopped, I missed the way it gave me patience with my children. I would smoke and all of the sudden, the messes and yelling didn't bother me. Unfortunately it's not legal in texas so I needed to stop. After two months of irritability, I have now found some thing natural and legal that gave me my patience back and my children their loving mother back!"

Carbear November 6, 2017

For Anxiety "I was very optimistic about this supplement. Unfortunately for me personally I had major sharp pains in my right side of my abdomen (possibly my liver). It even woke me up at night. I couldn't take it anymore as it seemed unsafe to continue. The brand I used was "Now" brand. Maybe it was the brand. However I would caution others to be careful if they also get sharp stabbing pains. Happy it helped others. Didn't agree with me."

Michelle7171! November 3, 2017

For Anxiety "Used this for moderate anxiety and depression at 400mg 30 mins before bed it worked very well, I take this 3 months on with 1 month off."

Mark68888 October 7, 2017

For Anxiety "I started to feel its effects fully after about a week. At first I didn't think it helped with my mood much, that my mood had improved on its own. However, when I stopped taking it my mood dropped to how it had been before. I take 400mg in the evenings and feel calmer and sleepier. Haven't noticed any side effects. Give 5-HTP some time to work, at least a few days or maybe a week. It is a great alternative medicine, in my opinion."

nicola2492 July 26, 2017

For Anxiety "I have Opioid withdrawal induced anxiety / low energy. After decades of opioid usage I've suffered from anxiety - I'm assuming from excessive noradrenaline (norepinephrine) that's known to be produced in withdrawal. (Slow, easy withdrawal - minor problems, after a big use up - crazy nasty anxiety). I've been taking advised dosage of 5HTP for about two weeks and it has helped with the anxiety to such an extent I'd currently describe it as completely abated. What's more it has totally reinvigorated my 'mojo', for want of a medical description. Years of opioid use leading to my current successful but slow withdrawal have left the old brain chemistry all over the place but this has given me new confidence and energy. I strongly recommend this supplement on my personal experience to date."

Code9n (taken for less than 1 month) June 30, 2017

For Anxiety "So far its working great"

Wwpae June 11, 2017

For Anxiety "5htp has changed my life ! After trying tons of antidepressant medications none of them are working so I decided to try something natural five HTP is amazing and helps with sleep, helps with stress and just makes you feel like a wonderful kind of you. A good feeling all the time, I love it and I recommend it to everybody"

Red 19 (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2017

For Anxiety "It has been the only thing that has relieved my symptoms of depression and anxiety and possibly my pain. The only downside is that it makes me vomit, make sure you eat BEFORE taking it. Also can make stomach hurt and nauseous. That's the only reason I didn't give it a 10."

5htp (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 27, 2017

For Anxiety "I felt great...very calm and confident. But combining 5-HTP with alcohol has caused adverse reactions. Additionally, I feel a sudden down swing, sometimes, and take a second dose, each dose being 50 mg. Since the supplement I take called Medulla also contains GABA, I am not sure I am doing the right thing, especially drinking up to 4 glasses of wine per night. Lately, I have poured the wine out, because I've felt odd. I am afraid that combining this with other supplements I take, plus Avapro for hypertension might eventually do harm, as the depression feels on the edge of returning and I feel agitated at times."

Portend April 17, 2017

For Anxiety "I have been troubled with severe generalised anxiety disorder (GAD) and social anxiety disorder for several years. I occasionally get panic attacks as well, and I struggle with insomnia. I have tried escitalopram, venlafaxine and sertraline in the past; and while they all helped a lot (specially the first 6 months) they did by no means take off more than 40-50% of the anxiety - max. I have been on 5-HTP for 1 week now. I am astonished of how well it works! I have absolutely no anxiety left! I feel completely normal... I don't have social anxiety, I don't even think or worry about issues that I usually always did and that has tormented me so long. Of course all this can be placebo, but I have tried many medications and no one can compare to this!"

Sufferer of GAD + insomnia April 11, 2017

For Anxiety "I have been taking 5-HTP for about a month now for depression and mood swings. Works on depression and moods but over the last few days I have been experiencing severe stomach cramps. I have not changed my diet and still doing and taking everything as normal. The only difference is that I had added 5-HTP to my daily diet. After experiencing these stomach cramps I decided to research these effects it was having on me. Apparently stomach cramps are a well known side effect of 5-HTP so I have decided to stop taking them and try something different. "

NoNickname (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2017

For Anxiety "So far so good as only on it for about 5 days at 300mg per day. I have combined it with multi vitamin, vitamin b complex, niacin plus vitamin c. I am reducing big pharma medication to almost nil and feel better with 5-htp. Better sleeps, better days as I divide the dosages at breakfast, dinner and before bed. Big pharma medications only mask up the problem whilst this feels so normal."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 9, 2017

For Anxiety "I've usually been able to pull myself out of episodes of anxiety/depression through CBT and other non-drug strategies but this was becoming harder and harder to do, especially after the death of my dad. Long story short - I looked into non-pharmaceutical supplements because I'd sooner be sad and anxious than foggy and addicted. 5HTP helped me and I have experienced no side effects. I take it at night, am able to sleep well with no residual grogginess in the morning. Am I a happy person now? No, but I'm not miserable and my interest in life is increasing. I'm more optimistic which in itself is a big deal and I'm finding that I'm not going down the 'dark path' of negative thoughts as often or for as long."

HotelMusic April 7, 2017

For Anxiety "Took 50mg sublingual this morning kicked in about 30 minutes longer.. Had not eaten.. Wanted to see how it worked.. I am bipolar.. GAD and PTSD. I do suffer from anxiety and panic attacks. Made me feel happy but it caused me too much mania meaning high and very anxious. Increased my talking. Did give a boost but not great for anxiety. I have just eaten so it would bring me down some."

Pink sunshine (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2017

For Anxiety "This stuff works great! For people that get sick or anything I'm just going to tell you, most likely you got serotonin syndrome from it because of too much of the chemical in your system and that is dangerous so be careful. I do note that it makes me sleep super well but the grogginess tends to linger around and I need a couple cups of coffee to cut through it. That being said I have that niarvana feeling of calmness and clarity. My mood and motivation is improved massively as well. I had especially hard times with waking up and getting started in anything that includes things I love doing and finishing things, after taking this it right away really sparked up my missing link. I will probably get st. Joins wort for tolerance breaks."

Aldoyle (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2017

For Anxiety "It's caused mixed rxn, often awake and cannot return to sleep. Foggy feelings during the day, with occasional odd sense of impending doom. Anxiety that keeps me indoors...But, when I decide to go out despite odd feelings, I find myself to be strangely aggressive. It's a seems that I'm less tolerant to other people. For example, there is a cashier who is always rude, a real eye roller, with frequent head shaking and sighs. Well, after she rolled her eyes at me for asking for a pen, she reluctantly smacked down on the counter. I tossed it at her after using it. Hmmm, this is odd behavior for me, I usually don't react to other people like that..So, I've decided to quit this 5- Htp for now. I could end up doing something that gets me on the news"

Intentionally Blank February 19, 2017

Page 1 2 3 Next

More about 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan)

Professional resources