User Reviews for 5-HTP

Insomnia 6 reviews 109 medications

5.7
Summary of 5-HTP reviews 42 reviews 6.5

Reviews for 5-HTP

For Anxiety "It's caused mixed rxn, often awake and cannot return to sleep. Foggy feelings during the day, with occasional odd sense of impending doom. Anxiety that keeps me indoors...But, when I decide to go out despite odd feelings, I find myself to be strangely aggressive. It's a seems that I'm less tolerant to other people. For example, there is a cashier who is always rude, a real eye roller, with frequent head shaking and sighs. Well, after she rolled her eyes at me for asking for a pen, she reluctantly smacked down on the counter. I tossed it at her after using it. Hmmm, this is odd behavior for me, I usually don't react to other people like that..So, I've decided to quit this 5- Htp for now. I could end up doing something that gets me on the news"

Intentionally Blank February 19, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety "I am 24 and have suffered from depression and severe anxiety since I was a young teenager. I've attempted suicide and been on tons of antidepressants which didn't help. My brother researched natural medicine and found this to treat his depression plus st johns wort in the mornings, and I decided to try it per his recommendation. So glad I found this. I finally feel like life is worth living and have hope in the future again. I take the 5-htp at night because it knocks me out and gives me vivid dreams. I only take 100mg daily."

Solveig1 February 2, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety "DANGER!! DANGER!! Do your research before you take this drug. There is a potential contaminant that could lead to serious health conditions. I took this garbage for 1 month and my face swelled up and my breathing became restricted before I looked into it more and discovered the possibility of a condition called esonophilic mylagia which is correlated with improper production techniques. I stopped taking it but the side effects still linger."

martin67vang January 10, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety "I have been taking 5htp for about for days and feel sleepy all the time. Has anyone else found this or have any advice for me?"

Ryan v December 30, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety "5-HTP HAS CHANGED MY LIFE!!! I'm 27 and have suffered from chronic depression since I was 13. Have attempted to take my life several times and by age 17 I took to drugs to get away from my depression. I spent years searching for a substance/experience to help me feel "normal" Once I got clean the depression came back worse than ever. I tried several meds cymbalta/prozac/effecxor and they all made me worse or no effect. Once I started 5-htp I started to feel better within 3 days. I play around between 100-300mg and they just work like magic for me. I feel totally normal on them I buy mine off internet and I can honestly say I have suffered no side effects whatsoever other than very vivid dreams. I would highly recommend everyone to try."

JohnG89 December 25, 2016

53 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety "for those who may not be aware Could a Gene Mutation be causing your depression or bipolar? i highly recommend researching this -With the MTHFR gene mutation you may not be able to make the enough of the active form of the vitamin folate/ vit b9 needed to make the neurotransmitters serotonin and dopamine causing mental health problems- google: balancingbrainchemistry the treatment for this gene mutation is taking mentholated b12 and and methyl folate/b9"

robnz October 19, 2016

44 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety "I suffer from depression, anxiety, ptsd, panic attacks, insomnia & migraines. I prefer holistic treatments so after some research tried 5HTP. All my "issues" have either improved massively or disappeared completely. I take 100mg time release each morning. In times of extra stress I take another 100mg at night just to stay on top of everything. Note: Your body needs a break from 5HTP every now & then or it will become used it & not be as effective. I usually take it for 3 months then take a 1 to 2 month break (during which I supplement with St John's Wort if I find I'm having any "head space" or stress issues). IMPORTANT: Check with dr if you are already on antiD meds as it can interract with some nasty side effects."

Earthmumma October 18, 2016

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety "This medication made me so ungodly sick; I vomited all night! I couldn't stop shaking! Scariest thing I've been through! Sorry I wasted my $ on it."

Kit kay (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety "Regular user of this "

Devotee (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 11, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Insomnia "I've struggled with sleep-onset insomnia for 15+ years. It started in my early forties when perimenopause hit. Tried 5-HTP recently and after 2 weeks I'm sleeping great! I take 200 mg time-release an hour before bed. Also drink milk/buttermilk before bed. And gelatin mixed with hot water and juice earlier. I only take Ambien or Ativan when I still can't get to sleep but that's unusual. Since I'm sleeping sounding again like when I was younger, my energy level is back to normal and I feel great again! I also changed my diet to low sugar/ high fiber. 5-HTP is a life saver to me!!!"

Econut August 17, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety "Works great!"

John3432 August 11, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety "I started taking 300 mg/day about a month ago, and it has drastically changed my quality of life (though it did not happen in one day for me, as other people have noted). I've been on a series of antidepressants over the last 5-6 years, but could never reconcile the side effects with the minimal improvements I got from the medications. Over the past 2-3 weeks, I've stopped the daily crying jags I was experiencing before, and I actually feel like I'm in a good mood a couple times a week. Even my child has commented that I'm more fun."

Kelleyp83 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 17, 2016

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Insomnia "I take 5-htp for both insomnia and anxiety .The benzos and other meds didn't work anymore . So I've started to take 100 mg of 5-htp at night with a bit (7.5 mg) of mirtazipine and bang , gone for the WHOLE night. Incredible. I was so happy after searching for a remedy for years. I've started to take some small doses of 5 htp during day time ( 50mg at noon) and my anxiety is down. Now I have to let go the ATIVAN slowly but surely for my daily anxiety because it is now useless so I just have to figure out the right dosage and hope to use only this and nothing else for my sleeping problem and anxiety. ( don't forget the vitamin B6 to make it work better) So I went from a bunch of pills at night to almost nothing :-)"

sirius1 (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety "I just started taking it.The results have so far been fantastic.I take 100 mgs./4 times a day. The depression has lifted and I have more energy.I think you have to be careful with it. Do a lot of reading and monitor yourself--keep a journal.I will take it for one month;see How I do and then maybe back off a bit.I have suffered severe depression my entire adult Life,I hope this is finally the miracle I have been praying for."

Duhka May 1, 2016

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety "5 htp worked straight away for me after been recommended by a friend .after losing my father suddenly , I found I was no longer normal felt so lost .unhappy .not sleeping .tearful .nothing in life made me happy .tried the doctors .they wanted to give me anti depression tablets .I did not want to go there .so I went shopping bumped into a friend .she recommend 5-htp.so the same day went and got them .haven't looked back since.that was 11 months ago .thamk you to 5htp"

joruby (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 18, 2016

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety "I have suffered from social/generalized anxiety for as long as I can remember, it got really bad as I entered puberty and I think I went out a maximum of 10 times my entire high school career. I also suffer from depression and when I went on the depo birth control shot both mental illness were the worst they have ever been, even my husband became concerned and spent hours a day researching ways to get me up and about again. I would spend my entire day in bed and the shot also caused me to gain 30lbs which distroyed any self esteem I had left. A customer and friend suggested 5-htp and I'm never looking back! I can enjoy life again, I can feel and I'm not having anxiety attacks from leaving my house any more. I've also lost 10lbs. It works!"

Tina Byrd (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 13, 2016

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety "For years I silently suffered from depression and bouts of anxiety. I just though this is who I am and accept it. I tried anti depressants only a couple times on and off again when I felt desperate or overwhelmed only too make me feel even worse. I was extremely tired all the time, pissed off at everything, became less social, eating more, and just never feeling a day of happiness without really trying. Until 5-HTP. For me it has worked wonders in just 24 hours of many years of not feeling right. I wake up and feel good! I am not tired one bit. I feel human again. Like someone gave me my life back as an unexpected gift. Never did I think it would help or work as amazing as It does and I feel. No side effects."

Jobella April 13, 2016

124 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety "Don't take this with benzos, made me extra drowsy and anxious. One pill, I only took half of one pill (50mg!). I got some kind of adverse reaction. My insomnia got worse, I got panic attacks, shivering, tremor, felt disorientated and seriously more depressed. Now I have woken up in the middle of the night for many nights to same feeling: anxious, cant fall asleep again. I regret taking this. And I said once again: DONT MIX THIS WITH BENZOS and be careful if your nervous system is sensitive, you are sensitive to supplements or you suffer from bad insomnia cause it can cause paradoxical reaction. Start with tiny doses to find out, whether this is the right supplement to you. For me it definately is NOT. This supplement also has many side effects"

Dizzie- (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2016

49 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety "I am taking 5-htp (100MG) combined with a complex B vitamin (100MG) and Sam-e 200MG everyday.. IT WORKS.. I am taking these three to treat depression and anxiety. I did not want to be on an anti depressant. My mood is lighter, I feel happier and I feel OKAY. I feel into a deep depression and felt very hopeless and these, along with counselling, are helping me through it. I am blown away by the effectiveness of these three supplements together. I highly recommend them. I can sleep just fine and I don't feel like there is a rain cloud over my head anymore. I've been waiting to see the sun shine through my heart (sounds cheese lol) but it's true! AND I FEEL IT! I hope you can too."

autiem001 January 18, 2016

131 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety "Been using timed release 200mgs for last month and used to 400mgs daily. Slight stomach and headache issues but gone after first week. Works very well but need to buy a quality product. I paired this with Niacinamide 1500-2000mgs this is all medicinal level and it's working nicely with slight mood swings. My sleep is better with higher dose and I'm not suffering major panic attacks. I'm off Seroquel for now and this is working for my seasonal depression and I am bipolar 1. I would recommend a neuropath when using this but I'm very well trained and aware of my body"

Onehotbike January 5, 2016

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety "Almost immediately effective. Clarity and calmness of mind restored and feeling 100% better. I can not believe it has worked so well."

Kellos December 3, 2015

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety "Don't start off with to high dosage , it affected my sleep . Went from 150mg back to 20mg and slowly increased . Two weeks of stomach upset but it went away . I have noticed I am calmer however my body seems to get use to the dosage quickly and I need to increase it . I am up to 180 mg now and again need to up the dosage . It's really worth giving this product a try before you turn to pharmaceutical medication ."

Gezabell (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 18, 2015

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety "Just want to add this has been great. I was on citalopram but became too much of a problem for me having to go to the doctors every month and having work. Getting this delivered to my door was so much easier. Been taking 100mg every night before bed, its reduced my anxiety quite a bit. I'm still on a benzo for the time being but what people here have to understand this drug works with chemicals in you brain. This is the reason you get increased anxiety. When I started citalopram my anxiety went through the roof before improving my condition after about 8 weeks. Let it ride through and take it at night at first, it will increase your anxiety at first and may increase your depression in some people at first but afterwards it works wonders."

zeden (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 28, 2015

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety "5- HTP has really helped me after being unable to tolerate side effects from Zoloft. I tapered off Zoloft and once I stopped I switched directly to 50 mg of 5-HTP in morning and 50 at night. I have had little to no side effects switching to the supplement. Very thankful to find 5 htp"

Hillccs August 1, 2015

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety "Supplements vary wildly in potency and quality from brand to brand. The way this stuff works for me is to put 50 mg of powder into a quart of water and drink it throughout the day. You do not want to get a huge spike of this stuff into your blood stream that later shoots down. I have great results for several months this way."

Hugh Johnson June 21, 2015

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

More about 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan)

Professional resources