User Reviews for 5-HTP

Learn more about 5-HTP.

5-HTP Rating Summary

5.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 112 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for 5-HTP to treat Insomnia

"I take 5-htp for both insomnia and anxiety .The benzos and other meds didn't work anymore . So I've started to take 100 mg of 5-htp at night with a bit (7.5 mg) of mirtazipine and bang , gone for the WHOLE night. Incredible. I was so happy after searching for a remedy for years. I've started to take some small doses of 5 htp during day time ( 50mg at noon) and my anxiety is down. Now I have to let go the ATIVAN slowly but surely for my daily anxiety because it is now useless so I just have to figure out the right dosage and hope to use only this and nothing else for my sleeping problem and anxiety. ( don't forget the vitamin B6 to make it work better) So I went from a bunch of pills at night to almost nothing :-)"

sirius1 (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2016

"I have a love hate relationship with 5 HTP. it has definitely helped me sleep in the past but after a while I build up a tolerance. I don't like stopping and restarting because the first few days of restarting give me an upset stomach."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 25, 2015

"I love 5-htp because it not only helps with my sleeping patterns but its definitely had a noticeable difference in me having a better, non-dreading approach to life. "

BigBrainTheory March 30, 2014

"Natural alternative - prescribed by my M.D. helped 'boost' effect of Lunesta when I wasn't sleeping long enough at night."

WaterskiGirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 28, 2012

"It works very well with my Ambien pills which have almost stopped working but can't sleep without (sounds familiar to chronic insomniacs I guess). I fall asleep amazingly fast (faster than at any time in my life) and I sleep up to 8 hours which I had forgotten about even on Ambien! I take only 50mg in late afternoon with food because I have a sensitive stomach. I wish I had tried this before."

Anonymous August 11, 2011

More about 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan)

Professional resources