Generic name: Sumatriptan Injection [ soo-ma-TRIP-tan ]
Brand names: Imitrex, Imitrex STATdose, Zembrace SymTouch
Drug class: Antimigraine agents
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 5, 2022.
Uses of Zembrace SymTouch:
- It is used to treat migraine headaches.
- It is used to treat cluster headaches.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Zembrace SymTouch?
- If you have an allergy to sumatriptan succinate or any other part of Zembrace SymTouch (sumatriptan injection).
- If you are allergic to Zembrace SymTouch (sumatriptan injection); any part of Zembrace SymTouch (sumatriptan injection); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have any of these health problems: High blood pressure or some types of migraine headaches like hemiplegic or basilar migraine.
- If you have ever had any of these health problems: Chest pain or pressure; diseased arteries going to the legs or arms; heart attack; heart disease; poor blood flow in the heart, brain, bowel, or kidney; stroke or transient ischemic attack (TIA); or a heartbeat that is not normal like Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome.
- If you have liver disease.
- If you have taken certain drugs for depression or Parkinson's disease in the last 14 days. This includes isocarboxazid, phenelzine, tranylcypromine, selegiline, or rasagiline. Very high blood pressure may happen.
- If you are taking another drug that has the same drug in it.
- If you have taken almotriptan, eletriptan, frovatriptan, naratriptan, rizatriptan, or zolmitriptan in the last 24 hours.
- If you have taken ergotamine, methysergide, dihydroergotamine, or any drug like them in the last 24 hours.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Zembrace SymTouch (sumatriptan injection).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Zembrace SymTouch (sumatriptan injection) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Zembrace SymTouch?
For all patients taking Zembrace SymTouch (sumatriptan injection):
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Zembrace SymTouch (sumatriptan injection). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how Zembrace SymTouch (sumatriptan injection) affects you.
- High blood pressure has happened with Zembrace SymTouch (sumatriptan injection). Have your blood pressure checked as you have been told by your doctor.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly allergic side effects have rarely happened. Talk with your doctor.
- This medicine is not meant to prevent or lower the number of migraine headaches you get.
- If you have a headache that is not like your usual migraine headaches, talk with your doctor before you take Zembrace SymTouch (sumatriptan injection).
- Taking more of Zembrace SymTouch (sumatriptan injection) (a higher dose, more often) than your doctor told you to take may cause your headaches to become worse.
- Use care if you have risks for heart disease (high blood pressure, high cholesterol, overweight, high blood sugar or diabetes, cigarette smoking, man older than 40 years of age, other family members with early heart disease, woman after change of life). Talk with your doctor.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly heart problems like heart attack and a heartbeat that is not normal have rarely happened within a few hours of taking Zembrace SymTouch (sumatriptan injection). Call your doctor right away if you have chest, throat, neck, or jaw tightness, pain, pressure, or heaviness; break out in a cold sweat; shortness of breath; a fast heartbeat; a heartbeat that does not feel normal; or very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly brain blood vessel problems like stroke have rarely happened with Zembrace SymTouch (sumatriptan injection). Call your doctor right away if you have weakness on 1 side of the body, trouble speaking or thinking, change in balance, drooping on 1 side of the face, or change in eyesight.
- If you have a latex allergy, talk with your doctor. Some products have latex.
- If you are 65 or older, use Zembrace SymTouch (sumatriptan injection) with care. You could have more side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
- This medicine is not approved for use in children. However, the doctor may decide the benefits of taking Zembrace SymTouch (sumatriptan injection) outweigh the risks. If your child has been given Zembrace SymTouch (sumatriptan injection), ask the doctor for information about the benefits and risks. Talk with the doctor if you have questions about giving Zembrace SymTouch (sumatriptan injection) to your child.
How is this medicine (Zembrace SymTouch) best taken?
Use Zembrace SymTouch (sumatriptan injection) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- If your headache comes back after the first dose, another dose may be used as your doctor has told you. Be sure you know how many hours to space each dose. This includes if other forms of Zembrace SymTouch (sumatriptan injection) were used for the first dose.
- The shot is given under the skin as early as it can be after the attack has started.
- If you will be giving yourself the shot, your doctor or nurse will teach you how to give the shot.
- Be sure you know where to give the shot. If you are not sure where to give the shot, talk with the doctor.
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- Do not use if the solution is cloudy, leaking, or has particles.
- Do not use if solution changes color.
- Throw away needles in a needle/sharp disposal box. Do not reuse needles or other items. When the box is full, follow all local rules for getting rid of it. Talk with a doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- This medicine is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of high blood pressure like very bad headache or dizziness, passing out, or change in eyesight.
- Loss of eyesight. This can be long-lasting.
- Very bad headache or if headache is not better after the first dose.
- A burning, numbness, or tingling feeling that is not normal.
- Change in color of skin to a bluish color like on the lips, nail beds, fingers, or toes.
- Diarrhea or constipation.
- Severe stomach pain or bloody diarrhea.
- Belly pain after meals.
- Weight loss.
- Cramps and pain in legs or hips.
- Feeling of heaviness or tightness in the leg muscles.
- Feeling cold.
- Burning or aching pain in the feet or toes.
- A severe and sometimes deadly problem called serotonin syndrome may happen. The risk may be greater if you also take certain other drugs. Call your doctor right away if you have agitation; change in balance; confusion; hallucinations; fever; fast or abnormal heartbeat; flushing; muscle twitching or stiffness; seizures; shivering or shaking; sweating a lot; severe diarrhea, upset stomach, or throwing up; or very bad headache.
What are some other side effects of Zembrace SymTouch?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Feeling dizzy, sleepy, tired, or weak.
- Feeling of warmth.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Irritation where the shot is given.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Zembrace SymTouch?
- Store at room temperature. Do not refrigerate or freeze.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Protect from light.
- If you were given a storage case, store in the case you were given.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Zembrace SymTouch (sumatriptan injection), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Frequently asked questions
- What are the new drugs for the treatment of migraines?
- Ubrelvy vs Imitrex (sumatriptan): How do they compare?
- What are the brands of sumatriptan?
- How do you use Onzetra Xsail?
More about Zembrace SymTouch (sumatriptan)
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Side effects
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- FDA approval history
- Drug class: antimigraine agents
- En español
Imitrex, Imitrex Statdose, Onzetra Xsail, Tosymra, ... +3 more
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.