Generic Name: Levocetirizine Oral Solution (LEE voe se TIR a zeen)
Brand Name: Xyzal
Medically reviewed on Sep 5, 2018
Uses of Xyzal:
- It is used to ease allergy signs.
- It is used to treat hives.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Xyzal?
- If you have an allergy to levocetirizine, cetirizine, or any other part of Xyzal (levocetirizine oral solution).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have kidney disease.
- If you are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed while you take Xyzal (levocetirizine oral solution).
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Xyzal (levocetirizine oral solution).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Xyzal (levocetirizine oral solution) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Xyzal?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Xyzal (levocetirizine oral solution). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how Xyzal (levocetirizine oral solution) affects you.
- Taking Xyzal (levocetirizine oral solution) in high doses may make you feel sleepy. Do not take more than your doctor or the package label tells you.
- Avoid alcohol or other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Xyzal (levocetirizine oral solution) while you are pregnant.
How is this medicine (Xyzal) best taken?
Use Xyzal (levocetirizine oral solution) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take in the evening.
- Take with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with Xyzal (levocetirizine oral solution). If there is none, ask the pharmacist for a device to measure Xyzal (levocetirizine oral solution).
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Trouble passing urine.
What are some other side effects of Xyzal?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Feeling sleepy.
- Nose and throat irritation.
- Loose stools (diarrhea).
- Hard stools (constipation).
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Xyzal?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Xyzal (levocetirizine)
- Xyzal Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 187 Reviews
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: antihistamines