Generic Name: Desoximetasone Cream, Gel, and Ointment (des oks i MET a sone)
Brand Name: Topicort, Topicort LP
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on May 1, 2019.
Uses of Topicort:
- It is used to treat skin irritation.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Topicort?
- If you have an allergy to desoximetasone or any other part of Topicort (desoximetasone cream, gel, and ointment).
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Topicort (desoximetasone cream, gel, and ointment) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Topicort?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Topicort (desoximetasone cream, gel, and ointment). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not use tight-fitting diapers or plastic pants if treated part is in the diaper area. This may cause more drug to get into the body.
- Talk with your doctor before you use other drugs or products on your skin.
- Do not put on cuts, scrapes, or damaged skin.
- Use care when putting on a large part of the skin or where there are open wounds. Talk with the doctor.
- Do not use Topicort (desoximetasone cream, gel, and ointment) for longer than you were told by your doctor.
- This medicine may affect growth in children and teens in some cases. They may need regular growth checks. Talk with the doctor.
- Use with care in children. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
- If you are breast-feeding, do not put Topicort (desoximetasone cream, gel, and ointment) on the chest. Talk with your doctor.
How is this medicine (Topicort) best taken?
Use Topicort (desoximetasone cream, gel, and ointment) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Use as you have been told, even if your signs get better.
- Do not take Topicort (desoximetasone cream, gel, and ointment) by mouth. Use on your skin only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
- Wash your hands before and after use. Do not wash your hands after use if putting this on your hand.
- Clean affected part before use. Make sure to dry well.
- Put a thin layer on the affected skin and rub in gently.
- Do not use coverings (bandages, dressings) unless told to do so by the doctor.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Put on a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not put on 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
- Signs of a weak adrenal gland like a very bad upset stomach or throwing up, very bad dizziness or passing out, muscle weakness, feeling very tired, mood changes, not hungry, or weight loss.
- Signs of Cushing's disease like weight gain in the upper back or belly, moon face, very bad headache, or slow healing.
- Signs of high blood sugar like confusion, feeling sleepy, more thirst, more hungry, passing urine more often, flushing, fast breathing, or breath that smells like fruit.
- Skin changes (pimples, stretch marks, slow healing, hair growth).
- Thinning of the skin.
What are some other side effects of Topicort?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Burning, itching, dryness, or other irritation where Topicort (desoximetasone cream, gel, and ointment) was used.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
How do I store and/or throw out Topicort?
- Store at room temperature.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Topicort (desoximetasone cream, gel, and ointment), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
More about Topicort (desoximetasone topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 6 Reviews
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: topical steroids
Other brands: Topicort LP