Topicort Side Effects
Generic Name: desoximetasone topical
Note: This document contains side effect information about desoximetasone topical. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Topicort.
For the Consumer
Applies to desoximetasone topical: topical application cream, topical application gel/jelly, topical application ointment, topical application spray
Side effects requiring immediate medical attention
Along with its needed effects, desoximetasone topical (the active ingredient contained in Topicort) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking desoximetasone topical:
- Flushing or redness of the skin
- redness, blistering, peeling, or loosening of the skin
- unusually warm skin
Incidence not known
- Blistering, burning, crusting, dryness, or flaking of the skin
- itching, scaling, severe redness, soreness, or swelling of the skin
- redness and scaling around the mouth
- thinning of the skin with easy bruising, especially when used on the face or where the skin folds together (eg, between the fingers)
- thinning, weakness, or wasting away of the skin
Side effects not requiring immediate medical attention
Some side effects of desoximetasone topical may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects.
Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
- Burning, itching, and pain in hairy areas, or pus at the root of the hair
Incidence not known
- Acne or pimples
- burning and itching of the skin with pinhead-sized red blisters
- increased hair growth on the forehead, back, arms, and legs
- lightening of normal skin color
- lightening of treated areas of dark skin
- reddish purple lines on the arms, face, legs, trunk, or groin
- softening of the skin
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to desoximetasone topical: compounding powder, topical cream, topical gel, topical ointment, topical spray
Frequency not reported: Folliculitis, hypertrichosis, acneiform eruptions, hypopigmentation, perioral dermatitis, allergic contact dermatitis, maceration of the skin, secondary infection, skin atrophy, striae, miliaria[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Application site dryness, application site irritation, application site pruritus
Frequency not reported: Burning, itching[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Topicort (desoximetasone topical)." Hoechst Marioin-Roussel Inc, Kansas City, MO.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about Topicort (desoximetasone topical)
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 6 Reviews
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: topical steroids
Other brands: Topicort LP