Generic Name: Desoximetasone Topical Spray (des oks i MET a sone)
Brand Name: Topicort Spray
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jun 19, 2020.
Uses of Topicort Spray:
- It is used to treat psoriasis.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Topicort Spray?
- If you have an allergy to desoximetasone or any other part of Topicort Spray (desoximetasone topical spray).
- If you are allergic to Topicort Spray (desoximetasone topical spray); any part of Topicort Spray (desoximetasone topical spray); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Topicort Spray (desoximetasone topical spray) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Topicort Spray?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Topicort Spray (desoximetasone topical spray). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not use tight-fitting diapers or plastic pants if treated part is in the diaper area. This may cause more drug to get into the body.
- Talk with your doctor before you use other drugs or products on your skin.
- Do not put on cuts, scrapes, or damaged skin.
- Use care when putting on a large part of the skin or where there are open wounds. Talk with the doctor.
- Do not use Topicort Spray (desoximetasone topical spray) for longer than you were told by your doctor.
- This medicine is not approved for use in children. However, the doctor may decide the benefits of taking Topicort Spray (desoximetasone topical spray) outweigh the risks. If your child has been given Topicort Spray (desoximetasone topical spray), ask the doctor for information about the benefits and risks. Talk with the doctor if you have questions about giving Topicort Spray (desoximetasone topical spray) to your child.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
- If you are breast-feeding, do not put Topicort Spray (desoximetasone topical spray) on the chest. Talk with your doctor.
How is this medicine (Topicort Spray) best taken?
Use Topicort Spray (desoximetasone topical spray) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Use as you have been told, even if your signs get better.
- Do not take Topicort Spray (desoximetasone topical spray) by mouth. Use on your skin only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
- Wash your hands before and after use. Do not wash your hands after use if putting this on your hand.
- Clean affected part before use. Make sure to dry well.
- Put a thin layer on the affected skin and rub in gently.
- Do not use coverings (bandages, dressings) unless told to do so by the doctor.
- This medicine may catch on fire. Do not use near an open flame or while smoking.
- Do not put on the face, underarms, or the groin area. Do not put on skin that is thinning.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Put on a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not put on 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of a weak adrenal gland like a very bad upset stomach or throwing up, very bad dizziness or passing out, muscle weakness, feeling very tired, mood changes, not hungry, or weight loss.
- Signs of Cushing's disease like weight gain in the upper back or belly, moon face, very bad headache, or slow healing.
- Signs of high blood sugar like confusion, feeling sleepy, more thirst, more hungry, passing urine more often, flushing, fast breathing, or breath that smells like fruit.
- Skin changes (pimples, stretch marks, slow healing, hair growth).
- Thinning of the skin.
What are some other side effects of Topicort Spray?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Burning, itching, dryness, or other irritation where Topicort Spray (desoximetasone topical spray) was used.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Topicort Spray?
- Store at room temperature.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- Protect from heat or open flame.
- Throw away any unused portion after 30 days.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Topicort Spray (desoximetasone topical spray), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Topicort (desoximetasone topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 6 Reviews
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: topical steroids
Other brands: Topicort LP