Generic Name: desoximetasone (des-OX-i-MET-a-sone)
Brand Name: Topicort
Topicort spray is used for:
Treating plaque psoriasis.
Topicort spray is a topical corticosteroid. It works by reducing skin inflammation (redness, swelling, itching, and irritation).
Do NOT use Topicort spray if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Topicort spray
- you have thinning of the skin at the treatment site
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Topicort spray:
Some medical conditions may interact with Topicort spray. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a skin infection, measles, thinning of the skin, tuberculosis (TB), chickenpox, shingles, a positive TB skin test, or have recently had a vaccination
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Topicort spray. Because little, if any, of Topicort spray is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Topicort spray may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Topicort spray:
Use Topicort spray as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet with detailed instructions for use is available with Topicort spray. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Apply a small amount of medicine to the affected area(s). Use only enough to cover the affected area. Gently rub the medicine in until it is evenly distributed. Wash your hands after applying the medicine, unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- Do not bandage, cover, or wrap the treated area unless advised to do so by your health care provider.
- If you miss a dose of Topicort spray, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Topicort spray.
Important safety information:
- Topicort spray is for external use only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth. Do not get it in the vagina. If you get it in any of these areas, flush right away with cool tap water.
- Do not use Topicort spray on the face, groin, or underarms.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or use for longer than 4 weeks without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 4 weeks or if they get worse, contact your doctor.
- Do not use Topicort spray for other skin conditions at a later time.
- Topicort spray has a corticosteroid in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has a corticosteroid in it too. If it does or you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Topicort spray before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Serious side effects may occur if too much of Topicort spray is absorbed through the skin. This may be more likely to occur if you use Topicort spray over a larger area of the body. It may also be more likely if you wrap or bandage the area after you apply Topicort spray. Do not use more than the prescribed dose. Contact your doctor right away if you develop unusual weight gain (especially in the face), muscle weakness, increased thirst or urination, confusion, unusual drowsiness, severe or persistent headache, or vision changes. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Topicort spray is flammable. Do not store or use near an open flame. Do not smoke during or right after use of Topicort spray.
- Topicort spray should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 18 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Topicort spray while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Topicort spray, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Topicort spray:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dryness, irritation, or itching at the application site.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); acne-like rash; inflamed hair follicles; inflammation around the mouth; severe or persistent burning, irritation, redness, or swelling of the skin; thinning, softening, or discoloration of the skin.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Topicort spray may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Topicort spray:
Store Topicort spray at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Throw away any unused medicine after 30 days. Keep Topicort spray out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Topicort spray, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Topicort spray is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Topicort spray or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Topicort spray. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Topicort spray. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Topicort spray.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Topicort (desoximetasone topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 6 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: topical steroids
Other brands: Topicort LP