Generic Name: Carisoprodol (kar eye soe PROE dole)
Brand Name: Soma
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jun 29, 2019.
Uses of Soma:
- It is used to relax muscles.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Soma?
- If you have an allergy to carisoprodol, meprobamate, or any other part of Soma (carisoprodol).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have ever had porphyria.
- If you are taking meprobamate.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Soma (carisoprodol).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Soma (carisoprodol) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Soma?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Soma (carisoprodol). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for alertness while you take Soma (carisoprodol). Talk with your doctor.
- Use Soma (carisoprodol) for short periods of time. If signs show up again, talk with the doctor.
- Do not take Soma (carisoprodol) for longer than you were told by your doctor.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking Soma (carisoprodol).
- Talk with your doctor before you use other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- This medicine may be habit-forming with long-term use.
- If you have been taking Soma (carisoprodol) on a regular basis and you stop it all of a sudden, you may have signs of withdrawal. Do not stop taking Soma (carisoprodol) all of a sudden without calling your doctor. Tell your doctor if you have any bad effects.
- Taking more of Soma (carisoprodol) or taking it more often than you have been told may cause it to not work as well. This is known as tolerance. Talk with your doctor if Soma (carisoprodol) stops working well. Do not take more than ordered.
- Abuse and misuse of Soma (carisoprodol) by itself or with certain other drugs may cause seizures, slow or shallow breathing, changes in alertness, coma, or death. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Soma (carisoprodol) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Soma) best taken?
Use Soma (carisoprodol) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you take Soma (carisoprodol) on a regular basis, take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times Soma (carisoprodol) is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Feeling very tired or weak.
What are some other side effects of Soma?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
How do I store and/or throw out Soma?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Soma (carisoprodol), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Soma (carisoprodol)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 172 Reviews
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: skeletal muscle relaxants
Other brands: Vanadom