Generic Name: carisoprodol (kar-EYE-soe-PROE-dol)
Brand Name: Soma
Soma is used for:
Short-term (up to 2 to 3 weeks) relief of discomfort caused by certain painful muscle conditions.
Soma is a muscle relaxant. It works in the brain and nervous system to relax the muscles.
Do NOT use Soma if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Soma or to a carbamate medicine (eg, meprobamate)
- you have a history of a certain blood disease (acute intermittent porphyria)
- you take sodium oxybate (GHB) or meprobamate
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Soma:
Some medical conditions may interact with Soma. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of kidney or liver problems, the blood disease porphyria, or seizures
- If you drink alcohol or if you have a history of alcohol or other substance abuse or dependence
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Soma. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Benzodiazepines (eg, alprazolam), opioid (narcotic) pain medicines (eg, hydrocodone), sodium oxybate (GHB), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because the risk of severe drowsiness may be increased
- Fluvoxamine, meprobamate, or omeprazole because they may increase the risk of Soma's side effects
- Rifampin or St. John's wort because they may decrease Soma's effectiveness
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Soma may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Soma:
Use Soma as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Soma by mouth with or without food.
- If you miss a dose of Soma and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is nearing time for the next dose, do not double the dose to catch up, unless advised by your health care provider. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Soma.
Important safety information:
- Soma may cause drowsiness or dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Soma with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using Soma.
- Check with your doctor before you use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Soma; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Soma may cause dizziness, light-headedness, or fainting; alcohol, hot weather, exercise, or fever may increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Sit or lie down at the first sign of any of these effects.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or take Soma for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Use Soma with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Soma should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 16 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY AND BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Soma while you are pregnant. Soma is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Soma, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Some people who use Soma for a long time may develop a need to continue taking it. People who take high doses are also at risk. This is known as DEPENDENCE or addiction.
If you have been taking Soma regularly or for a prolonged period of time and you stop taking it suddenly, you may have WITHDRAWAL symptoms.
Possible side effects of Soma:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dizziness; drowsiness; headache.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; hoarseness); confusion; fainting; fast heartbeat; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; loss of coordination; mood or mental changes (eg, agitation, depression, irritability); seizures; severe or persistent dizziness; severe or persistent trouble sleeping; tremors; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual tiredness or weakness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; coma; confusion; enlarged pupils; fainting; fast heartbeat; hallucinations; loss of consciousness; loss of coordination; rigid muscles; seizures; severe or unusual dizziness, drowsiness, or headache; slow, shallow, or difficult breathing; uncontrollable or involuntary muscle movements; uncontrolled eye movements.Proper storage of Soma:
Store Soma at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Soma out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Soma, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Soma is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Soma or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Soma. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Soma. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Soma.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Soma (carisoprodol)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 143 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: skeletal muscle relaxants
Other brands: Vanadom