Generic Name: Sumatriptan Nasal Powder (soo ma TRIP tan)
Brand Name: ONZETRA Xsail
Medically reviewed on Feb 19, 2019
Uses of ONZETRA Xsail:
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take ONZETRA Xsail?
- If you have an allergy to sumatriptan succinate or any other part of ONZETRA Xsail (sumatriptan nasal powder).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have any of these health problems: High blood pressure or some types of migraine headaches like hemiplegic or basilar migraine.
- If you have ever had any of these health problems: Chest pain or pressure; diseased arteries going to the legs or arms; heart attack; heart disease; poor blood flow in the heart, brain, bowel, or kidney; stroke or transient ischemic attack (TIA); or a heartbeat that is not normal like Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome.
- If you have liver disease.
- If you have taken certain drugs used for low mood (depression) like isocarboxazid, phenelzine, or tranylcypromine or drugs used for Parkinson's disease like selegiline or rasagiline in the last 14 days. Taking ONZETRA Xsail (sumatriptan nasal powder) within 14 days of those drugs can cause very bad high blood pressure.
- If you are taking another drug that has the same drug in it.
- If you have taken almotriptan, eletriptan, frovatriptan, naratriptan, rizatriptan, or zolmitriptan in the last 24 hours.
- If you have taken ergotamine, methysergide, dihydroergotamine, or any drug like them in the last 24 hours.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with ONZETRA Xsail (sumatriptan nasal powder).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take ONZETRA Xsail (sumatriptan nasal powder) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take ONZETRA Xsail?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take ONZETRA Xsail (sumatriptan nasal powder). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how ONZETRA Xsail (sumatriptan nasal powder) affects you.
- High blood pressure has happened with ONZETRA Xsail (sumatriptan nasal powder). Have your blood pressure checked as you have been told by your doctor.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly allergic side effects have rarely happened. Talk with your doctor.
- This medicine is not meant to prevent or lower the number of migraine headaches you get. Talk with your doctor.
- If you have a headache that is not like your usual migraine headaches, talk with your doctor before you take ONZETRA Xsail (sumatriptan nasal powder).
- Taking more of ONZETRA Xsail (sumatriptan nasal powder) (a higher dose, more often) than your doctor told you to take may cause your headaches to become worse.
- Use care if you have risks for heart disease (high blood pressure, high cholesterol, overweight, high blood sugar or diabetes, cigarette smoking, man older than 40 years of age, other family members with early heart disease, woman after change of life). Talk with your doctor.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly heart problems like heart attack and a heartbeat that is not normal have rarely happened within a few hours of taking ONZETRA Xsail (sumatriptan nasal powder). Call your doctor right away if you have chest, throat, neck, or jaw tightness, pain, pressure, or heaviness; break out in a cold sweat; shortness of breath; a fast heartbeat; a heartbeat that does not feel normal; or very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly brain blood vessel problems like stroke have rarely happened with ONZETRA Xsail (sumatriptan nasal powder). Call your doctor right away if you have weakness on 1 side of the body, trouble speaking or thinking, change in balance, drooping on 1 side of the face, or change in eyesight.
- If you are 65 or older, use ONZETRA Xsail (sumatriptan nasal powder) with care. You could have more side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using ONZETRA Xsail (sumatriptan nasal powder) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
- This medicine is not approved for use in children. However, the doctor may decide the benefits of taking ONZETRA Xsail (sumatriptan nasal powder) outweigh the risks. If your child has been given ONZETRA Xsail (sumatriptan nasal powder), ask the doctor for information about the benefits and risks. Talk with the doctor if you have questions about giving ONZETRA Xsail (sumatriptan nasal powder) to your child.
How is this medicine (ONZETRA Xsail) best taken?
Use ONZETRA Xsail (sumatriptan nasal powder) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Follow how to use as you have been told by the doctor or read the package insert.
- For the nose only.
- Use ONZETRA Xsail (sumatriptan nasal powder) as early as you can after the attack has started.
- Use nosepiece right after taking it out of the foil pouch.
- Only use the device that comes with ONZETRA Xsail (sumatriptan nasal powder). Do not use any other devices.
- If your headache comes back after the first dose, 1 more dose may be taken 2 hours after the first one.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- This medicine is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of high blood pressure like very bad headache or dizziness, passing out, or change in eyesight.
- Loss of eyesight. This can be long-lasting.
- Very bad headache or if headache is not better after the first dose.
- A burning, numbness, or tingling feeling that is not normal.
- Change in color of skin to a bluish color like on the lips, nail beds, fingers, or toes.
- Very upset stomach or throwing up.
- Severe stomach pain or bloody diarrhea.
- Belly pain after meals.
- Weight loss.
- Leg cramps.
- Feeling of heaviness or tightness in the leg muscles.
- Feeling cold.
- Burning or aching pain in the feet or toes.
- Change in hearing.
- A very bad and sometimes deadly health problem called serotonin syndrome may happen. The risk may be greater if you take ONZETRA Xsail (sumatriptan nasal powder) with drugs for depression, migraines, or certain other drugs. Call your doctor right away if you have agitation; change in balance; confusion; hallucinations; fever; fast or abnormal heartbeat; flushing; muscle twitching or stiffness; seizures; shivering or shaking; sweating a lot; very bad diarrhea, upset stomach, or throwing up; or very bad headache.
What are some other side effects of ONZETRA Xsail?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Feeling of warmth.
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Feeling sleepy.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Bad taste in your mouth.
- Nose and throat irritation.
- Runny nose.
- Stuffy nose.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out ONZETRA Xsail?
- Store at room temperature. Do not refrigerate or freeze.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Protect from light.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about ONZETRA Xsail (sumatriptan nasal powder), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Onzetra Xsail (sumatriptan)
- Onzetra Xsail Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 4 Reviews
- Drug class: antimigraine agents
- FDA Alerts (1)