How do you use Onzetra Xsail?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 21, 2019.
Onzetra Xsail is a migraine treatment that is used by exhaling into a device which has a sealing nosepiece.
Onzetra Xsail (sumatriptan), is a fast-acting, serotonin 5-HT1B/1D receptor agonist (triptan) used for the acute treatment of migraine with or without aura in adults. It comes as a low-dose (22 mg) intranasal powder administered by use of one nosepiece (11 mg) in each nostril, with a maximum of two doses in any 24-hour period.
- A dose is delivered when the user exhales into the device.
- When the user exhales, this causes the soft palate to automatically close and seals off the nasal cavity which helps to prevent swallowing and reduces absorption through the stomach.
- A sealing nosepiece is placed into the nostril, and the exhaled breath carries medication from the device directly into one side of the nose and deep into the nasal cavity.
Side effects include abnormal taste, nasal discomfort, and runny nose.
Related Medical Questions
- What are the new drugs for the treatment and prevention of migraine?
- What are the brands of sumatriptan?
- Where do they inject Botox for migraines?
- Does Botox for migraines also help with wrinkles?
- Ubrelvy vs Emgality: How do they compare for migraines?
- Does Ajovy cause weight gain?
- How much caffeine is in Excedrin Migraine?