Generic name: Hydroxyzine Syrup (hye DROX i zeen)
Brand name: Atarax
Drug class: Antihistamines, Miscellaneous anxiolytics, sedatives and hypnotics
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Dec 26, 2020.
Uses of Hydroxyzine Syrup:
- It is used to treat itching.
- It is used to treat anxiety.
- It is used to put you to sleep for surgery.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Hydroxyzine Syrup?
- If you have an allergy to hydroxyzine or any other part of hydroxyzine syrup.
- If you are allergic to hydroxyzine syrup; any part of hydroxyzine syrup; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have ever had a long QT on ECG.
- If you are in early pregnancy. Do not take hydroxyzine syrup during early pregnancy.
- If you are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed while you take hydroxyzine syrup.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with hydroxyzine syrup.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take hydroxyzine syrup with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Hydroxyzine Syrup?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take hydroxyzine syrup. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how hydroxyzine syrup affects you.
- Talk with your doctor before you drink alcohol or use other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- An unsafe heartbeat that is not normal (long QT on ECG) has happened with hydroxyzine syrup. This may raise the chance of sudden death. Talk with the doctor.
- If you are 65 or older, use hydroxyzine syrup with care. You could have more side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using hydroxyzine syrup while you are pregnant.
How is this medicine (Hydroxyzine Syrup) best taken?
Use hydroxyzine syrup as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with hydroxyzine syrup. If there is none, ask the pharmacist for a device to measure hydroxyzine syrup.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you take hydroxyzine syrup on a regular basis, take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times hydroxyzine syrup is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- A heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- A fast heartbeat.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Trouble controlling body movements.
- Feeling confused.
- Rarely, a very bad skin reaction has happened with hydroxyzine syrup. Signs include fever and many small skin spots within large areas of redness and swelling. Call your doctor right away if you have a rash or any of these signs.
What are some other side effects of Hydroxyzine Syrup?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Dry mouth.
- Feeling sleepy.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Hydroxyzine Syrup?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about hydroxyzine syrup, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Frequently asked questions
More about hydroxyzine
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Patient Tips
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 1207 Reviews
- Drug class: antihistamines
- Patient Information
- Hydroxyzine (Advanced Reading)
- Hydroxyzine Intramuscular (Advanced Reading)
- Hydroxyzine Capsules and Tablets
- Hydroxyzine Injection
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.