Cepacol Regular Strength
Generic name: Menthol Lozenges (MEN thol)
Brand name: Cepacol Regular Strength, Cepacol Sore Throat, Dads Menthol Throat Drop, Flanax Cough Relief, Halls Cough Drops, ...show all 16 brand names.Ludens Throat Drops, Medikoff Drops, Medikoff Drops SF, Ricola Cherry Honey Herb, Ricola Herb, Ricola Honey Herb, Ricola Lemon Mint, Ricola Mountain Herb, Ricola Natural Herb, Ricola with Echinacea, Vicks VapoDrops
Drug class: Topical rubefacient
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 1, 2020.
Uses of Cepacol Regular Strength:
- It is used to relieve coughing.
- It is used to treat a sore throat.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Cepacol Regular Strength?
- If you are allergic to Cepacol Regular Strength (menthol lozenges); any part of Cepacol Regular Strength (menthol lozenges); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Cepacol Regular Strength (menthol lozenges) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Cepacol Regular Strength?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Cepacol Regular Strength (menthol lozenges). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- If you have high blood sugar (diabetes), check labels closely. Some products have sugar.
- Do not use Cepacol Regular Strength (menthol lozenges) for longer than you were told by your doctor.
- When treating a very sore throat, talk with the doctor if signs last more than 2 days, or happen with fever, headache, rash, upset stomach, or throwing up.
- Different brands of Cepacol Regular Strength (menthol lozenges) may be for use in different ages of children. Talk with the doctor before giving Cepacol Regular Strength (menthol lozenges) to a child.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Cepacol Regular Strength (menthol lozenges) while you are pregnant.
- Tell the doctor if your child is breast-feeding a baby. You will need to talk about any risks to the baby.
How is this medicine (Cepacol Regular Strength) best taken?
Use Cepacol Regular Strength (menthol lozenges) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Suck oral lozenge. Do not chew, break, or crush it. Do not swallow it whole.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you take Cepacol Regular Strength (menthol lozenges) on a regular basis, take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times Cepacol Regular Strength (menthol lozenges) is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
What are some other side effects of Cepacol Regular Strength?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Cepacol Regular Strength?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from heat.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Cepacol Regular Strength (menthol lozenges), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about menthol topical
- Drug Information
- Menthol topical oral mucous membrane
- Menthol Aerosol
- Menthol Aerosol Powder
- Menthol Cream, Lotion, and Ointment
- Other brands
- Biofreeze, Flexall, Bengay Ultra Strength Pain Relieving Patch, Blue-Emu Maximum Strength Arthritis, Muscle & Joint Pain Relief, ... +32 more
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.