Icy Hot Advanced Relief (Menthol Patch)
Generic name: Menthol Patch [ MEN-thole ]
Brand names: Bengay, Icy Hot Advanced Relief
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Feb 20, 2022.
Uses of Icy Hot Advanced Relief:
- It is used to ease muscle and joint aches and pain.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Icy Hot Advanced Relief?
- If you are allergic to Icy Hot Advanced Relief (menthol patch); any part of Icy Hot Advanced Relief (menthol patch); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Icy Hot Advanced Relief (menthol patch) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Icy Hot Advanced Relief?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Icy Hot Advanced Relief (menthol patch). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not use coverings (bandages, dressings) unless told to do so by the doctor.
- This medicine may cause harm if chewed or swallowed. If Icy Hot Advanced Relief (menthol patch) has been put in the mouth, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Avoid use of heat sources (such as sunlamps, tanning beds, heating pads, electric blankets, heat lamps, saunas, hot tubs, heated waterbeds). Avoid long, hot baths or sunbathing. Your temperature may rise and cause too much drug to pass into your body.
- Different brands of Icy Hot Advanced Relief (menthol patch) may be for use in different ages of children. Talk with the doctor before giving Icy Hot Advanced Relief (menthol patch) to a child.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Icy Hot Advanced Relief (menthol patch) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Icy Hot Advanced Relief) best taken?
Use Icy Hot Advanced Relief (menthol patch) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not take Icy Hot Advanced Relief (menthol patch) by mouth. Use on your skin only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, ears, and eyes (may burn).
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- Put patch on clean, dry, healthy skin.
- Do not put on cuts, scrapes, or damaged skin.
- Do not put on open wounds.
- Do not put on irritated skin.
- Do not bandage tightly.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you use Icy Hot Advanced Relief (menthol patch) on a regular basis, put on a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not put on 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times Icy Hot Advanced Relief (menthol patch) is used on an as needed basis. Do not use more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad skin irritation.
What are some other side effects of Icy Hot Advanced Relief?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Skin irritation.
- Burning or stinging feeling. Most of the time, this will go away after a few days.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Icy Hot Advanced Relief?
- Store at room temperature.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Icy Hot Advanced Relief (menthol patch), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about Icy Hot Advanced Relief Pain Relief Patch (menthol topical)
- Other brands
- Biofreeze, Halls Mentho-Lyptus Drops, Aspercreme Pain Relieving Heat Gel, Bengay Ultra Strength Pain Relieving Patch, ... +31 more
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.