Generic Name: Calcitonin Nasal Spray (kal si TOE nin)
Brand Name: Fortical, Miacalcin
Medically reviewed on Feb 15, 2019
Uses of Calcitonin Nasal Spray:
- It is used to treat soft, brittle bones (osteoporosis) in women after change of life.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Calcitonin Nasal Spray?
- If you have an allergy to calcitonin or any other part of calcitonin nasal spray.
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have low calcium levels.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with calcitonin nasal spray.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take calcitonin nasal spray with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Calcitonin Nasal Spray?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take calcitonin nasal spray. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly allergic side effects have rarely happened. Talk with your doctor.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Have your urine checked as you have been told by your doctor.
- Take calcium and vitamin D as you were told by your doctor.
- This medicine may add to the chance of getting some types of cancer. Talk with the doctor.
- If you are taking lithium, talk with your doctor. You may need to have your blood work checked more closely while you are taking it with calcitonin nasal spray.
- If you are 65 or older, use calcitonin nasal spray with care. You could have more side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using calcitonin nasal spray while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Calcitonin Nasal Spray) best taken?
Use calcitonin nasal spray as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- For the nose only.
- Follow how to use as you have been told by the doctor or read the package insert.
- Prime pump before first use.
- Blow your nose before use.
- Change nostrils every day.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not use 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of low calcium levels like muscle cramps or spasms, numbness and tingling, or seizures.
- Bad nose irritation.
- Nose sores.
What are some other side effects of Calcitonin Nasal Spray?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Calcitonin Nasal Spray?
- Store unopened nose spray bottle in a refrigerator until ready to use. Do not freeze.
- After opening, store upright at room temperature. Follow how long you can use calcitonin nasal spray as you have been told by your doctor or read the package insert.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about calcitonin nasal spray, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about calcitonin
- Calcitonin Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Patient Tips
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- 7 Reviews
- Drug class: calcitonin
- Calcitonin injection
- Calcitonin nasal
- Calcitonin Injection (Advanced Reading)
- Calcitonin Nasal (Advanced Reading)