User Reviews for Calcitonin

Also known as: Miacalcin, Calcimar

Calcitonin has an average rating of 4.1 out of 10 from a total of 9 ratings on Drugs.com. 25% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 50% reported a negative experience.

Osteoporosis
4.1
Summary of Calcitonin reviews 4.1 9 reviews

juliemarie · Taken for 2 to 5 years · August 15, 2021

Fortical (calcitonin) for Osteoporosis: “I took Fortical for 2 1/2 years. I immediately experienced extreme nausea and debilitating exhaustion. I could not get through my usual day. My body swelled up and I looked like the Michelin Man. I tried to fight through the effects and my doctor told me to take the spray for four days a week and then take a 'holiday' for the other three. Then, after two years, my calf and thigh muscles would seize and, finally, I started to fall after these occurances. I was given no directions on how much and what kind of calcium to take w/ the drug. No information on how much Vitamin D2 or other minerals to add to the treatment. When I started to fall, treatment was discontinued and we waited for two years to see if any increased bone growth and density had taken place. It had not, I continued to lose bone at 5 - 7% each year, Now on vegetable calcium and other minerals and bone growth has improved to 'normal.'”

119redmoon · April 12, 2015

Miacalcin (calcitonin) for Osteoporosis: “I had a terrible supposedly rare reaction to the protein in this medication. Every joint in my body was swollen and so painful that I couldn't even stand a sheet touching me. It took about 5 days for the symptoms to recede.”

Rebecca Anderson · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · October 26, 2016

For Osteoporosis: “I have very flat feet. I was told my ankles would be the first to go. December 2015 my ankle just broke. The doctor said my bones were just hollow and fragile it was very hard just to set my leg. I started on the medicine and calcium and vitamin D I've had no problems with it. I also broke my arm from falling from the crutches. I was quite a mess my bones have healed well I have been on the medicine almost a year I don't know how much longer I should take it but if it's fixing my bones I'm going to take it as long as I need to”

Amy · Taken for 1 to 6 months · July 7, 2018

For Osteoporosis: “I had severe pains in legs, hands and all the joints. Even walking became difficult, getting up after sitting for some time was worse. Was prescribed calcitonin nasal spray with vit D and calcium oral supplements with revidec and vit d injection every week. Since the day I had this spray, my stomach is very upset. I have diarrhoea with abdominal cramps and frequent urination problem. I'm going to ask doctor to change medication as I'm feeling very weak. I have also developed severe pain in one leg joint in which I had broken bone 20 yrs back. It never pained so much before.”

joss · Taken for 1 to 6 months · July 13, 2018

For Osteoporosis: “compression fracture of the spine. healed up in half the time. Even tho I have osteo p, I stopped after 5 weeks because I was leery of the potential cancer scare, which, by the way the crimp doesn't tell you which kind. [?????} It does work, and I had no side effects until week 5 when I developed back pain unrelated to fracture. I stopped using and it went away.”

Anonymous · September 28, 2009

Fortical (calcitonin) for Osteoporosis: “I took Fortical 3 times and had burning and pain upon urination. It took several days to clear up.”

Anonymous · March 16, 2010

Miacalcin Nasal (calcitonin) for Osteoporosis: “No problem with the medicine - don't know yet how effective for bone density but it has helped my back stop hurting!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month · January 16, 2016

For Osteoporosis: “Seems to have helped back pain. My nose runs water often and sometimes bleeds all day, one side at a time. Scared about the cancer threat though ... had breast cancer about 14 years ago.”

Mildred · Taken for 1 to 6 months · December 19, 2021

For Osteoporosis: “I have osteoporosis. I was given Calcitonin. After only one month I got severe pain in my right hip. It was so bad I couldn't walk except with a walker. Then I stopped taking it.”