Generic Name: Aripiprazole Lauroxil (ay ri PIP ray zole lawr OX il)
Brand Name: Aristada, Aristada Initio
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jul 8, 2020.
- There is a higher chance of death in older adults who take aripiprazole lauroxil for mental problems caused by dementia. Most of the deaths were linked to heart disease or infection. This medicine is not approved to treat mental problems caused by dementia.
Uses of Aripiprazole Lauroxil:
- It is used to treat schizophrenia.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Aripiprazole Lauroxil?
- If you have an allergy to aripiprazole or any other part of aripiprazole lauroxil.
- If you are allergic to aripiprazole lauroxil; any part of aripiprazole lauroxil; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you take any drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) that must not be taken with aripiprazole lauroxil, like certain drugs that are used for seizures, fungal infections, or rifampin. There are many drugs that must not be taken with aripiprazole lauroxil.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with aripiprazole lauroxil.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take aripiprazole lauroxil with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Aripiprazole Lauroxil?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take aripiprazole lauroxil. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how aripiprazole lauroxil affects you.
- To lower the chance of feeling dizzy or passing out, rise slowly if you have been sitting or lying down. Be careful going up and down stairs.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking aripiprazole lauroxil.
- Talk with your doctor before you use other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- Be careful in hot weather or while being active. Drink lots of fluids to stop fluid loss.
- Low white blood cell counts have happened with drugs like this one. This may lead to a higher chance of infection. Rarely, infections have been deadly. Tell your doctor if you have ever had a low white blood cell count. Call your doctor right away if you have signs of infection like fever, chills, or sore throat.
- High blood sugar or diabetes, high cholesterol, and weight gain have happened with drugs like this one. These may raise the chance of heart and brain blood vessel disease.
- Check your blood sugar as you have been told by your doctor.
- Dizziness, sleepiness, and feeling less stable may happen with aripiprazole lauroxil. These may lead to falling, which can cause broken bones or other health problems.
- If you are 65 or older, use aripiprazole lauroxil with care. You could have more side effects.
- Older adults with dementia taking drugs like this one have had a higher number of strokes. Sometimes these have been deadly. This medicine is not approved to treat mental problems caused by dementia.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
- Taking aripiprazole lauroxil in the third trimester of pregnancy may lead to uncontrolled muscle movements and withdrawal in the newborn.
How is this medicine (Aripiprazole Lauroxil) best taken?
Use aripiprazole lauroxil as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- It is given as a shot into a muscle.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Call your doctor to find out what to do.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of high blood sugar like confusion, feeling sleepy, more thirst, more hungry, passing urine more often, flushing, fast breathing, or breath that smells like fruit.
- Trouble controlling body movements, twitching, change in balance, trouble swallowing or speaking.
- Strong urges that are hard to control (such as eating, gambling, sex, or spending money).
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- A fast heartbeat.
- A very bad and sometimes deadly health problem called neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS) may happen. Call your doctor right away if you have any fever, muscle cramps or stiffness, dizziness, very bad headache, confusion, change in thinking, fast heartbeat, heartbeat that does not feel normal, or are sweating a lot.
- Some people may get a severe muscle problem called tardive dyskinesia. This problem may lessen or go away after stopping aripiprazole lauroxil, but it may not go away. The risk is greater with diabetes and in older adults, especially older women. The risk is greater with longer use or higher doses, but it may also occur after short-term use with low doses. Call your doctor right away if you have trouble controlling body movements or problems with your tongue, face, mouth, or jaw like tongue sticking out, puffing cheeks, mouth puckering, or chewing.
What are some other side effects of Aripiprazole Lauroxil?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Weight gain.
- Irritation where the shot is given.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Aripiprazole Lauroxil?
- If you need to store aripiprazole lauroxil at home, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- This medicine comes with an extra patient fact sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it with care. Read it again each time aripiprazole lauroxil is refilled. If you have any questions about aripiprazole lauroxil, please talk with the doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Vraylar vs Abilify - How do they compare?
- What is the difference between Abilify and Abilify Maintena?
- How do you administer Abilify Maintena?
- How often is Abilify Maintena given?
More about aripiprazole
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Patient Tips
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 1081 Reviews
- Drug class: atypical antipsychotics
- FDA Alerts (4)
- Aripiprazole injection
- Aripiprazole Orally Disintegrating Tablets
- Aripiprazole Tablets
- Aripiprazole Tablets with Sensor
- ... +4 more