Zostrix Sports Side Effects
Generic Name: capsaicin topical
Note: This page contains side effects data for the generic drug capsaicin topical. It is possible that some of the dosage forms included below may not apply to the brand name Zostrix Sports.
For the Consumer
Applies to capsaicin topical: topical cream, topical film, topical gel/jelly, topical liquid, topical lotion, topical ointment, topical pad, topical patch extended release, topical stick
As well as its needed effects, capsaicin topical (the active ingredient contained in Zostrix Sports) may cause unwanted side effects that require medical attention.
If any of the following side effects occur while taking capsaicin topical, check with your doctor immediately:More common - all forms
- Burning, itching, dryness, pain, redness, swelling, or soreness at the application site
- cough-producing mucus
- difficulty with breathing
- shortness of breath or troubled breathing
- sore throat
- stuffy or runny nose
- tightness in the chest or wheezing
- Blurred vision
- pounding in the ears
- slow or fast heartbeat
- Bloating or swelling of the face, arms, hands, lower legs, or feet
- increased sensitivity to pain
- increased sensitivity to touch
- rapid weight gain
- tingling in the hands and feet
- unsteadiness or awkwardness
- unusual weight gain or loss
- weakness in the arms, hands, legs, or feet
Some capsaicin topical side effects may not need any medical attention. As your body gets used to the medicine these side effects may disappear. Your health care professional may be able to help you prevent or reduce these side effects, but do check with them if any of the following side effects continue, or if you are concerned about them:Less common - patch only
- muscle aches
- pain or tenderness around the eyes and cheekbones
- unusual tiredness or weakness
- Abnormal skin color
- change in taste
- loss of taste
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to capsaicin topical: compounding powder, topical cream, topical film, topical gel, topical kit, topical liquid, topical lotion, topical stick
The most commonly reported side effects were application site erythema and application site pain.[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Application site erythema (63%), application site pain (42%)
Common (1% to 10%): Application site pruritus, application site papules, application site edema, application site swelling, application site dryness
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Application site urticaria, application site paresthesia, application site dermatitis, application site hyperesthesia, application site excoriation, application site warmth, application site anesthesia, application site bruising, application site inflammation, application site exfoliation[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Hypertension
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): First degree atrio-ventricular (AV) block, tachycardia, palpitations, increased blood pressure[Ref]
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Herpes zoster, pruritus
Frequency not reported: Abnormal skin odor, second degree burns[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Nasopharyngitis, bronchitis, sinusitis
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Cough, throat irritation
Frequency not reported: Sneezing, dyspnea, wheezing, exacerbation of asthma, irritation of the mucous membranes of the respiratory tract (such as nasal and throat irritation)[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Nausea[Ref]
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Pain in extremity, muscle spasms[Ref]
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Dysgeusia, hypoesthesia, burning sensation
Frequency not reported: Headache, peripheral sensory neuropathy, dizziness, dysgeusia, hyperesthesia[Ref]
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Eye irritation
Frequency not reported: Irritation of the mucous membranes of the eyes, runny eyes[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Peripheral edema[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Zostrix-HP (capsaicin topical)." Medicis Pharmaceutical Corporation, Scottsdale, AZ.
2. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
3. "Product Information. Qutenza (capsaicin topical)." NeurogesX Inc, San Mateo, CA.
4. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
5. "Product Information. Zostrix (capsaicin topical)." Southwood Pharmaceuticals Inc, Lake Forest, CA.
6. "Product Information. Axsain (capsaicin topical)." Rodlen Laboratories, Vernon Hills, IL.
It is possible that some side effects of Zostrix Sports may not have been reported. These can be reported to the FDA here. Always consult a healthcare professional for medical advice.
More about Zostrix Sports (capsaicin topical)
- Other brands: Trixaicin, Salonpas Pain Patch with Capsaicin, Capsicum Oleoresin, Capzasin, More (13) »
Related treatment guides
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate safety, effectiveness, or appropriateness for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of materials provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.