Tazorac Side Effects
Generic name: tazarotene topical
Note: This document contains side effect information about tazarotene topical. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Tazorac.
Common side effects of Tazorac include: burning sensation of skin, exacerbation of psoriasis, pruritus, skin irritation, stinging of the skin, erythema of skin, localized erythema, skin pain, and xeroderma. See below for a comprehensive list of adverse effects.
For the Consumer
Applies to tazarotene topical: topical cream, topical gel
Side effects include:
In patients treated for photoaging: Desquamation, erythema, burning, dry skin, skin irritation, pruritus.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to tazarotene topical: topical cream, topical foam, topical gel, topical lotion
Very common (10% or more): Desquamation (29%), dry skin (27%), erythema (21%), burning sensation (14%)
Common (1% to 10%): Pruritus, irritation, nonspecific rash, irritant contact dermatitis, skin pain, worsening of psoriasis, stinging sensation, inflammation
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Cheilitis, excoriated skin, eczema, erythema sun-induced, papules, skin tightness, worsened acne
Common (1% to 10%): Hypertriglyceridemia[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Facial pain[Ref]
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Infection[Ref]
Frequently asked questions
- Is Tazorac the same as Retin-A?
- Tazorac Cream vs Gel: What's the difference?
- Does it help with acne scars?
- Does it cause purging?
- How long does it take to work?
- Is Tazorac better than Retin-A?
- What does it do to your skin?
- Can Tazorac and Differin be used together?
- What are the different brands of tazarotene?
More about Tazorac (tazarotene topical)
- Drug interactions
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Reviews (34)
- Patient tips
- Drug images
- Pricing & coupons
- Generic availability
- En español
- Drug class: topical acne agents
Related treatment guides
1. "Product Information. Tazorac (tazarotene topical)." Allergan Inc (2001):
2. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
3. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.