Does Tazorac help with acne scars?
Can Tazorac gel or cream be used to treat pitted acne scars?
Tazarotene gel 0.1% has successfully treated atrophic post acne scarring in a small clinical trial using microneedling as an active control. An active control trial is when you are testing to find out if the test treatment (eg. tazarotene gel) is as good as a known effective treatment (eg. microneedling).
The conclusion of the trial using subjective scoring by the independent dermatologist showed that acne scarring improved by:
- 45% with tazarotene gel 0.1% treatment
- 55% with microneedling therapy
Both treatment options successfully reduced acne scarring, with the difference between each treatment option being not clinically relevant or statistically significant.
Tazarotene gel 0.1% is a home based topical treatment making it accessible to more patients, compared to microneedling which is an office based procedure.
- Tazorac cream and Tazorac gel do NOT have post acne scar treatment as an FDA approved indication.
- Tazarotene gel 0.1% has been used for atrophic post acne scar treatment in a small clinical study.
- In this one study, using subjective scoring by the independent dermatologist, atrophic post acne scarring improved by 45%.
- Tazorac Gel Drugs.com: https://www.drugs.com/pro/tazorac-gel.html
- Topical Tazarotene Gel, 0.1%, as a Novel Treatment Approach for Atrophic Postacne Scars: A Randomized Active-Controlled Clinical Trial: https://europepmc.org/article/MED/30452511#qoi180033r13
Related Medical Questions
- Is Tazorac better than tretinoin?
- Is Tazorac the same as Retin-A?
- Tazorac Cream vs Gel: What's the difference?
- Does Tazorac cause purging?
- How long does it take Tazorac to work?
- What does tazarotene do to your skin?
- Can Tazorac and Differin be used together?
- What are the different brands of tazarotene?
- Tazorac Information for Consumers
- Tazorac Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Tazorac (detailed)
Related Support Groups
- Tazorac (8 questions, 15 members)