Polaramine Repetabs Side Effects
Generic Name: dexchlorpheniramine
Note: This document contains side effect information about dexchlorpheniramine. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Polaramine Repetabs.
For the Consumer
Applies to dexchlorpheniramine: oral syrup
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Not able to pass urine or change in how much urine is passed.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Change in eyesight.
- Change in balance.
- Any unexplained bruising or bleeding.
- Feeling very tired or weak.
- Feeling confused.
- A burning, numbness, or tingling feeling that is not normal.
- Ringing in ears.
What are some other side effects of this drug?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Feeling sleepy.
- Loose stools (diarrhea).
- Hard stools (constipation).
- Dry mouth.
- Dry nose.
- Feeling nervous and excitable.
- Not hungry.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Not able to sleep.
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Thickening of mucus in nose or throat.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to dexchlorpheniramine: compounding powder, oral syrup, oral tablet, oral tablet extended release
Hypersensitivity reactions have included drug rash, anaphylactic shock, and photosensitivity.[Ref]
Nervous system side effects have included sedation, sleepiness, dizziness, disturbed coordination, fatigue, confusion, restlessness, excitation, nervousness, tremor, irritability, insomnia, euphoria, paresthesias, hysteria, neuritis, and convulsions.[Ref]
Ocular side effects have included blurred vision and diplopia.[Ref]
Respiratory side effects have included thickening of bronchial secretions, tightness of chest, wheezing, and nasal stiffness.[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Polaramine (dexchlorpheniramine)." Schering-Plough Corporation, Kenilworth, NJ.
2. Theunissen EL, Vermeeren A, Ramaekers JG "Repeated-dose effects of mequitazine, cetirizine and dexchlorpheniramine on driving and psychomotor performance." Br J Clin Pharmacol 61 (2006): 79-86
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about Polaramine Repetabs (dexchlorpheniramine)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 1 Review – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: antihistamines