Molindone Side Effects
For the Consumer
Applies to molindone: oral tablet
- There is a higher chance of death in older adults who take this drug for mental problems caused by dementia. Most of the deaths were linked to heart disease or infection. This drug is not approved to treat mental problems caused by dementia.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Shakiness, trouble moving around, or stiffness.
- Nipple discharge.
- For women, no period.
- Enlarged breasts.
- Not able to get or keep an erection.
- More interest in sex.
- Not able to sit still.
- Mood changes.
- Trouble swallowing.
- A fast heartbeat.
- Trouble passing urine.
- Some people may get a severe muscle problem called tardive dyskinesia. This problem may lessen or go away after stopping this drug, but it may not go away. The risk is greater with diabetes and in older adults, especially older women. The risk is greater with longer use or higher doses, but it may also occur after short-term use with low doses. Call your doctor right away if you have trouble controlling body movements or problems with your tongue, face, mouth, or jaw like tongue sticking out, puffing cheeks, mouth puckering, or chewing.
- A very bad and sometimes deadly health problem called neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS) may happen. Call your doctor right away if you have any fever, muscle cramps or stiffness, dizziness, very bad headache, confusion, change in thinking, fast heartbeat, heartbeat that does not feel normal, or are sweating a lot.
- Call your doctor right away if you have a painful erection (hard penis) or an erection that lasts for longer than 4 hours. This may happen even when you are not having sex. If this is not treated right away, it may lead to lasting sex problems and you may not be able to have sex.
What are some other side effects of this drug?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to molindone: oral concentrate, oral tablet
Akathisia/motor restlessness occurred early in treatment.
Drowsiness occurred with initial treatment and usually subsided with continued use or lowering of the dose.
Extrapyramidal symptoms (EPS) may occur in susceptible patients, but is usually reversible with appropriate therapy; EPS symptoms include akathisia.
Parkinson syndrome occurred less frequently than akathisia and includes rigidity, immobility, and reduction of voluntary movements/tremor.[Ref]
Constipation may occur more frequently during concomitant use with anticholinergic drugs.[Ref]
Rare, transient, nonspecific T wave changes have been reported on ECGs; however, there is no established association with this drug.[Ref]
Red blood cell alterations were not clinically significant.[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Depression, euphoria, increased libido[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Blood glucose alteration, weight gain/loss (not excessive)[Ref]
Blood glucose alterations were not considered clinically significant.[Ref]
Thyroid function alterations were not clinically significant.[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Alterations in thyroid function, gynecomastia[Ref]
Nonspecific skin rash (likely of allergic origin) occurred early during treatment.
Skin pigmentation did not occur when this drug is used alone.[Ref]
Liver function alterations have been clinically significant in some patients.[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Alterations in liver function[Ref]
BUN alterations were not clinically significant.[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Alterations in blood urea nitrogen (BUN)[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Blurring of vision[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Moban (molindone)." Gate Pharmaceuticals, Sellersville, PA.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about molindone
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 1 Review
- Drug class: miscellaneous antipsychotic agents
- FDA Alerts (2)
Other brands: Moban