Minastrin 24 Fe Side Effects
Generic Name: ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone
Note: This document contains side effect information about ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Minastrin 24 Fe.
Common side effects of Minastrin 24 Fe include: amenorrhea. Other side effects include: headache. See below for a comprehensive list of adverse effects.
For the Consumer
Applies to ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone: oral capsule liquid filled, oral tablet, oral tablet chewable
Other dosage forms:
Along with its needed effects, ethinyl estradiol/norethindrone may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone:Incidence not known
- Absent, missed, or irregular menstrual periods
- change in vision
- changes in skin color
- chest pain or discomfort
- clay-colored stools
- dark urine
- dizziness or lightheadedness
- fast heartbeat
- hives or welts
- itching skin
- large, hive-like swelling on the face, eyelids, lips, tongue, throat, hands, legs, feet, or sex organs
- loss of appetite
- medium to heavy, irregular vaginal bleeding between regular monthly periods, which may require the use of a pad or a tampon
- pain or discomfort in the arms, jaw, back, or neck
- pain, tenderness, or swelling of the foot or leg
- pains in the chest, groin, or legs, especially in the calves of the legs
- pounding in the ears
- redness of the skin
- severe headaches of sudden onset
- slow or fast heartbeat
- stomach pain
- sudden loss of coordination or slurred speech
- troubled breathing
- unusual tiredness or weakness
- vomiting of blood
Some side effects of ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:Incidence not known
- blotchy spots on the exposed skin
- breast enlargement or tenderness
- feeling sad or empty
- itching of the vagina or outside genitals
- loss of interest or pleasure
- pain during sexual intercourse
- stomach cramps
- thick, white curd-like vaginal discharge without odor or with mild odor
- trouble concentrating
- trouble sleeping
- trouble wearing contact lenses
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone: oral capsule, oral tablet, oral tablet chewable
The most frequently reported side effects were headache, vaginal candidiasis, nausea, menstrual cramps, breast tenderness, abdominal pain, mood changes, bacterial vaginitis, acne, irregular uterine bleeding, and weight gain.[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Vaginal candidiasis, menstrual cramps, breast tenderness, bacterial vaginitis, abnormal/irregular bleeding, metrorrhagia, irregular menstruation, menorrhagia, vaginal hemorrhage, breast pain, dysmenorrhea, vaginal hemorrhage, dysfunctional uterine bleeding
Frequency not reported: Ovarian vein thrombosis, vaginitis, amenorrhea, breakthrough bleeding, breast enlargement, breast secretion, cervical erosion changed, cervical secretion, menstrual flow changed, diminution in lactation, spotting, temporary infertility after discontinuation of treatment, premenstrual syndrome, uterine fibroid disease exacerbated
Postmarketing reports: Vaginal infection, pollakiuria, dysuria, ovarian cyst, pelvic pain, ovarian cyst rupture, pelvic fluid collection, nipple pain, nipple discharge, galactorrhea, fibrocystic breast change, breast disorder, breast mass, uterine leiomyomata size increased, cervical ectropion changed, endometrial hyperplasia, ovarian cyst, uterine enlargement[Ref]
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Blood pressure increased
Frequency not reported: Deep vein thrombosis, myocardial infarction, hypertension, arterial thromboembolism, thrombophlebitis
Postmarketing reports: Coronary artery thrombosis, palpitation, tachycardia, angina pectoris, hot flush, heart rate irregular[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Nausea/vomiting, abdominal pain
Frequency not reported: Abdominal cramps, bloating, colitis, dyspepsia, inflammatory bowel disease, Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, mesenteric thrombosis
Postmarketing reports: Constipation, pancreatitis[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Headache
Frequency not reported: Migraine, dizziness, cerebral hemorrhage, cerebral thrombosis
Postmarketing reports: Loss of consciousness, hyperesthesia, paresthesia, hypoesthesia, somnolence, sensory disturbance, transient ischemic attack, ischemic stroke, chorea, epilepsy exacerbated, dementia, hemiparesis[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Mood swing, depression, mood changed, anxiety
Frequency not reported: Nervousness
Postmarketing reports: Insomnia, suicidal ideation, panic attack, libido changed, homicidal ideation, dissociation, bipolar disorder, mood disturbed, irritability[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Acne
Frequency not reported: Hirsutism, loss of scalp hair, melasma, chloasma, erythema multiforme, erythema nodosum, hemorrhagic eruption, photosensitivity, pruritus
Postmarketing reports: Alopecia, generalized rash, allergic rash, skin discoloration, urticaria, angioedema, night sweats, angioedema, hirsutism, skin burning sensation, generalized erythema[Ref]
Postmarketing reports: Hypersensitivity reaction, anaphylactic/anaphylactoid reaction[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Corneal curvature change/steepening, contact lens intolerance, cataracts, retinal thrombosis
Postmarketing reports: Vision blurred, vision impaired, corneal thinning, fungal infection, transient blindness[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Weight fluctuation
Frequency not reported: Tolerance to carbohydrates reduced
Postmarketing reports: Appetite increased, appetite decreased, diabetes mellitus, hypoglycemia, hypocalcemia, triglycerides increased, blood glucose abnormal[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Cervical smear abnormal, weight gain, edema
Frequency not reported: Fatigue, porphyria, Vitamin B6 deficient
Postmarketing reports: Weight decreased, peripheral edema, malaise, chest pain[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Lo Minastrin Fe (ethinyl estradiol-norethindrone)." Warner Chilcott Laboratories, Rockaway, NJ.
2. "Product Information. Femhrt (ethinyl estradiol-norethindrone)" Parke-Davis, Morris Plains, NJ.
3. "Product Information. Loestrin 24 Fe (ethinyl estradiol-norethindrone)." Warner Chilcott Laboratories, Rockaway, NJ.
4. "Product Information. Estrostep Fe (ethinyl estradiol-norethindrone)." Parke-Davis, Morris Plains, NJ.
5. "Product Information. Femcon FE (ethinyl estradiol-norethindrone)." Actavis (formerly Abrika Pharmaceuticals LLP), Sunrise, FL.
6. "Product Information. Briellyn (ethinyl estradiol-norethindrone)." Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Inc, Princeton, NJ.
7. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
8. "Product Information. Lo Loestrin Fe (ethinyl estradiol-norethindrone)." Warner Chilcott Laboratories, Rockaway, NJ.
9. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about Minastrin 24 Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone)
- Minastrin 24 Fe Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Pricing & Coupons
- 212 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: contraceptives