Loperamide Side Effects
For the Consumer
Applies to loperamide: oral capsule, oral capsule liquid filled, oral liquid, oral solution, oral suspension, oral tablet, oral tablet chewable
Side effects requiring immediate medical attention
Along with its needed effects, loperamide may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking loperamide:
Check with your doctor as soon as possible if any of the following side effects occur while taking loperamide:
Side effects not requiring immediate medical attention
Some side effects of loperamide may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects.
Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
- Dizziness or drowsiness
- dryness of mouth
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to loperamide: compounding powder, oral capsule, oral liquid, oral suspension, oral tablet, oral tablet chewable
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Abdominal discomfort, abdominal pain upper, dyspepsia
Common (1% to 10%): Headache, dizziness
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Somnolence
Rare (less than 0.1%): Loss of consciousness, stupor, depressed level of consciousness, hypertonia, coordination abnormality
Rare (less than 0.1%): Fatigue
Postmarketing reports: Death, tiredness[Ref]
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Rash
Rare (less than 0.1%): Miosis
1. "Product Information. Loperamide Hydrochloride (loperamide)." Teva Pharmaceuticals USA, North Wales, PA.
2. Brown JW "Toxic megacolon associated with loperamide therapy." JAMA 241 (1979): 501-2
3. Walley T, Milson D "Loperamide related toxic megacolon in Clostridium difficile colitis." Postgrad Med J 66 (1990): 582
4. "Product Information. Imodium (loperamide)." Janssen Pharmaceutica, Titusville, NJ.
5. Ericsson CD, Johnson PC "Safety and efficacy of loperamide." Am J Med 88 (1990): s10-4
6. Olm M, Gonzalez FJ, Garcia-Valdecasas JC, Fuster J, Bertran A, Milla J "Necrotising colitis with perforation in diarrhoic patients treated with loperamide." Eur J Clin Pharmacol 40 (1991): 415-6
7. Katz JP, Sturmann KM "Appendicitis associated with loperamide hydrochloride abuse." Ann Pharmacother 27 (1993): 369-70
8. Hill MA, Greason FC "Loperamide dependence." J Clin Psychiatry 53 (1992): 450
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about loperamide
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Patient Tips
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 60 Reviews
- Drug class: antidiarrheals
- FDA Alerts (2)
- Loperamide Capsules and Tablets
- Loperamide Oral Solution and Suspension
- Loperamide (Advanced Reading)