Ecotrin Maximum Strength Side Effects
Generic name: aspirin
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on May 26, 2022.
Note: This document contains side effect information about aspirin. Some dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Ecotrin Maximum Strength.
More frequent side effects include: dyspepsia, epigastric discomfort, heartburn, and nausea. Continue reading for a comprehensive list of adverse effects.
Applies to aspirin: oral capsule extended release 24 hr, oral capsule liquid filled, oral tablet, oral tablet chewable, oral tablet enteric coated.
Serious side effects
Along with its needed effects, aspirin (the active ingredient contained in Ecotrin Maximum Strength) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking aspirin:
Incidence not known
- Abdominal or stomach pain, cramping, or burning
- black, tarry stools
- bloody or cloudy urine
- change in consciousness
- chest pain or discomfort
- convulsions, severe or continuing
- dark urine
- decreased frequency or amount of urine
- difficult breathing
- fast breathing
- feeling that something terrible will happen
- general tiredness and weakness
- greatly decreased frequency of urination or amount of urine
- increased thirst
- irregular heartbeat
- light-colored stools
- loss of appetite
- loss of consciousness
- lower back or side pain
- muscle cramping and weakness
- muscle tremors
- nausea or vomiting
- numbness or tingling in the hands, feet, or lips
- rapid, deep breathing
- skin rash
- stomach cramps
- swelling of the face, fingers, or lower legs
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- unusual tiredness or weakness
- upper right abdominal or stomach
- vomiting of blood or material that looks like coffee grounds
- weakness or heaviness of the legs
- weight gain
- yellow eyes and skin
Other side effects
Some side effects of aspirin may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects.
Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
Incidence not known
- Acid or sour stomach
- dry mouth
- stomach discomfort, upset, or pain
- trouble sleeping
- unusual drowsiness, dullness, tiredness, weakness, or feeling of sluggishness
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to aspirin: compounding powder, oral capsule, oral capsule extended release, oral delayed release capsule, oral delayed release tablet, oral gum, oral powder for reconstitution, oral tablet, oral tablet chewable, oral tablet disintegrating, oral tablet dispersible, oral tablet extended release, rectal suppository.
Common (1% to 10%): Dyspepsia,
Frequency not reported: Interstitial nephritis, papillary necrosis, renal insufficiency and failure[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Increased bleeding tendencies
Rare (0.01% to 0.1%): Anaphylactic reactions including shock
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Urticaria
Frequency not reported: Transient elevations of hepatic enzymes, hepatitis, Reye's syndrome, hepatic insufficiency[Ref]
Rare (0.01% to 0.1%): Hemorrhagic vasculitis
Frequency not reported: Rhabdomyolysis[Ref]
The more commonly experienced adverse effects include indigestion, dyspepsia, bleeding, and bruising.[Ref]
Rare (0.01% to 0.1%): Menorrhagia
Frequency not reported: Proteinuria[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Agitation, confusion[Ref]
Frequently asked questions
- What's the difference between aspirin and ibuprofen?
- Which painkiller should you use?
- Can you take ibuprofen with Excedrin Migraine?
- Aspirin Overdose: Symptoms, Diagnosis, Emergency Treatment
- Can you take tramadol with acetaminophen, ibuprofen, or aspirin?
More about Ecotrin Maximum Strength (aspirin)
- Check interactions
- Reviews (1)
- Latest FDA alerts (3)
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: platelet aggregation inhibitors
Related treatment guides
1. "Product Information. Bayer Aspirin (acetylsalicylsyra)." Bayer
2. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
3. US Food and Drug Administration "TITLE 21--FOOD AND DRUGS,CHAPTER I--FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION,DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES SUBCHAPTER D--DRUGS FOR HUMAN USE,PART 341 COLD, COUGH, ALLERGY, BRONCHODILATOR, AND ANTIASTHMATIC DRUG PRODUCTS FO. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov" (2016):
4. "Product Information. Durlaza (aspirin)." New Haven Pharmaceuticals (2022):
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.