Clarinex Reditabs Side Effects
Generic Name: desloratadine
Note: This document contains side effect information about desloratadine. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Clarinex Reditabs.
For the Consumer
Applies to desloratadine: oral syrup, oral tablet, oral tablet disintegrating
Along with its needed effects, desloratadine (the active ingredient contained in Clarinex Reditabs) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking desloratadine:Rare
- Anaphylaxis, such as, cough, difficulty swallowing, dizziness, fast heartbeat, hives, itching, puffiness or swelling of eyelids or around the eyes or face or lips or tongue, shortness of breath, skin rash, tightness in chest, unusual tiredness or weakness, wheezing
- dyspnea, such as, shortness of breath, difficult or labored breathing, tightness in chest, wheezing
- edema, such as, swelling
- pruritus, such as, itching skin
- tachycardia, such as, fast, pounding, or irregular heartbeat or pulse
- urticaria, such as, hives or welts, itching, redness of skin, skin rash.
Some side effects of desloratadine may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:More common
- dry mouth
- dysmenorrhea, such as, difficult or painful menstruation
- dyspepsia, such as, acid or sour stomach, belching, heartburn, indigestion, stomach discomfort , upset or pain,
- fatigue, such as, unusual tiredness or weakness
- myalgia, such as, joint pain, swollen joints, muscle aching or cramping, muscle pains or stiffness, difficulty in moving
- pharyngitis, such as, body aches or pain, congestion, cough, dryness or soreness of throat, fever, hoarseness, runny nose, tender swollen glands in neck, trouble in swallowing, voice changes.
- somnolence, such as, sleepiness or unusual drowsiness
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to desloratadine: oral solution, oral tablet, oral tablet disintegrating
Cardiovascular side effects of spontaneous nature reported during the marketing of desloratadine (the active ingredient contained in Clarinex Reditabs) have included tachycardia and palpitations.[Ref]
Hypersensitivity side effects of spontaneous nature reported during the marketing of desloratadine (the active ingredient contained in Clarinex Reditabs) have included rash, pruritus, urticaria, edema, dyspnea, and anaphylaxis.[Ref]
Hepatic side effects have included elevated liver enzymes and bilirubin. Very rarely, hepatitis has been observed in clinical practice.[Ref]
Gastrointestinal side effects have included dry mouth, dry throat, nausea, and pharyngitis.[Ref]
Nervous system side effects have included somnolence and dizziness. Psychomotor hyperactivity and seizures have been observed in clinical practice.[Ref]
An increase in the incidence of somnolence has been reported in clinical trials (n=1838) at doses of 10 mg/day and 20 mg/day (5.2% and 7.6%, respectively), compared to placebo (2.3%).[Ref]
General side effects have included myalgia and influenza-like symptoms.[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Clarinex (desloratadine)." Schering Corporation, Kenilworth, NJ.
2. Layton D, Wilton L, Boshier A, Cornelius V, Harris S, Shakir SA "Comparison of the risk of drowsiness and sedation between levocetirizine and desloratadine: a prescription-event monitoring study in England." Drug Saf 29 (2006): 897-909
Some side effects of Clarinex Reditabs may not be reported. Always consult your doctor or healthcare specialist for medical advice. You may also report side effects to the FDA.
More about Clarinex Reditabs (desloratadine)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: antihistamines
Related treatment guides
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate safety, effectiveness, or appropriateness for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of materials provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.