Chlorpheniramine / phenylephrine Side Effects
For the Consumer
Applies to chlorpheniramine / phenylephrine: oral liquid, oral syrup, oral tablet
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
What are some other side effects of this drug?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Feeling nervous and excitable.
- Not able to sleep.
- Feeling sleepy.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine: oral capsule extended release, oral drops, oral elixir, oral liquid, oral suspension, oral suspension extended release, oral syrup, oral tablet, oral tablet chewable, oral tablet extended release
General side effects including drowsiness, lassitude, giddiness, and increased irritability or excitement have been reported.[Ref]
1. "PDR Generics. 4th ed." Montvale, NJ: Medical Economics (1998):
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- 11 Reviews
- Drug class: upper respiratory combinations
- Chlorpheniramine and phenylephrine
- Chlorpheniramine and Phenylephrine Liquid
- Chlorpheniramine and Phenylephrine Tablets
- Phenylephrine and Chlorpheniramine Tablets (FDA)
- Chlorpheniramine and Phenylephrine (Wolters Kluwer)