Alkums Side Effects
Generic Name: calcium carbonate
Note: This document contains side effect information about calcium carbonate. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Alkums.
For the Consumer
Applies to calcium carbonate: oral tablet
Other dosage forms:
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of high calcium levels like weakness, confusion, feeling tired, headache, upset stomach and throwing up, hard stools (constipation), or bone pain.
- Mood changes.
What are some other side effects of this drug?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Hard stools (constipation).
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Stomach pain.
- Not hungry.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to calcium carbonate: compounding powder, oral capsule, oral gum, oral powder, oral suspension, oral tablet, oral tablet chewable
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Hypercalcemia
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Loss of appetite, milk-alkali syndrome
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Hypercalciuria
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Renal impairment[Ref]
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Continuous headache[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Unusual tiredness or weakness[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Muscular weakness[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Calci-Chew (calcium carbonate)." R & D Laboratories Inc, Marina Del Rey, CA.
2. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
3. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.