Aler-Tab Side Effects
Generic name: diphenhydramine
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 3, 2022.
Note: This document contains side effect information about diphenhydramine. Some dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Aler-Tab.
Applies to diphenhydramine: oral capsules and tablets, parenteral injection.
Side effects include:
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to diphenhydramine: compounding powder, injectable solution, oral capsule, oral disintegrating strip, oral liquid, oral tablet, oral tablet chewable, oral tablet disintegrating.
The most commonly reported side effects included somnolence, dizziness, and incoordination.[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Sedation/somnolence/sleepiness, drowsiness, unsteadiness, dizziness, headache, attention disturbance
Rare (0.01% to 0.1%): Extrapyramidal effects, tremor, convulsions
Drowsiness usually diminishes after a few days.[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Dry mouth
Common (1% to 10%): Fatigue
Rare (0.01% to 0.1%): Confusion, depression, sleep disturbances
Rare (0.01% to 0.1%): Blood disorders
Rare (0.01% to 0.1%): Hypersensitivity reactions
Rare (0.01% to 0.1%): Liver dysfunction[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Blurred vision, dry eyes, diplopia[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Muscle twitching/weakness[Ref]
Frequently asked questions
- How much Benadryl can I take? What is too much?
- What is the max dose of diphenhydramine for adults?
- Does diphenhydramine raise blood pressure?
- Can diphenhydramine be used as a sleep aid?
- Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride vs Citrate: What's the difference?
More about Aler-Tab (diphenhydramine)
- Check interactions
- Latest FDA alerts (2)
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: anticholinergic antiemetics
Related treatment guides
1. "Product Information. Benadryl (diphenhydramine)." Parke-Davis (2002):
2. "Product Information. Benadryl Children's Allergy Fastmelt (diphenhydrAMINE)." Pfizer U.S. Pharmaceuticals Group (2022):
3. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
4. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.