Aerius Side Effects
Generic Name: desloratadine
Note: This page contains information about the side effects of desloratadine. Some of the dosage forms included on this document may not apply to the brand name Aerius.
For the Consumer
Applies to desloratadine: oral syrup, oral tablet, oral tablet disintegrating
In addition to its needed effects, some unwanted effects may be caused by desloratadine (the active ingredient contained in Aerius). In the event that any of these side effects do occur, they may require medical attention.
Major Side Effects
You should check with your doctor immediately if any of these side effects occur when taking desloratadine:Rare
- Anaphylaxis, such as, cough, difficulty swallowing, dizziness, fast heartbeat, hives, itching, puffiness or swelling of eyelids or around the eyes or face or lips or tongue, shortness of breath, skin rash, tightness in chest, unusual tiredness or weakness, wheezing
- dyspnea, such as, shortness of breath, difficult or labored breathing, tightness in chest, wheezing
- edema, such as, swelling
- pruritus, such as, itching skin
- tachycardia, such as, fast, pounding, or irregular heartbeat or pulse
- urticaria, such as, hives or welts, itching, redness of skin, skin rash.
Minor Side Effects
Some of the side effects that can occur with desloratadine may not need medical attention. As your body adjusts to the medicine during treatment these side effects may go away. Your health care professional may also be able to tell you about ways to reduce or prevent some of these side effects. If any of the following side effects continue, are bothersome or if you have any questions about them, check with your health care professional:More common:
- dry mouth
- dysmenorrhea, such as, difficult or painful menstruation
- dyspepsia, such as, acid or sour stomach, belching, heartburn, indigestion, stomach discomfort , upset or pain,
- fatigue, such as, unusual tiredness or weakness
- myalgia, such as, joint pain, swollen joints, muscle aching or cramping, muscle pains or stiffness, difficulty in moving
- pharyngitis, such as, body aches or pain, congestion, cough, dryness or soreness of throat, fever, hoarseness, runny nose, tender swollen glands in neck, trouble in swallowing, voice changes.
- somnolence, such as, sleepiness or unusual drowsiness
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to desloratadine: oral solution, oral tablet, oral tablet disintegrating
Cardiovascular side effects of spontaneous nature reported during the marketing of desloratadine (the active ingredient contained in Aerius) have included tachycardia and palpitations.[Ref]
Hypersensitivity side effects of spontaneous nature reported during the marketing of desloratadine (the active ingredient contained in Aerius) have included rash, pruritus, urticaria, edema, dyspnea, and anaphylaxis.[Ref]
Hepatic side effects have included elevated liver enzymes and bilirubin. Very rarely, hepatitis has been observed in clinical practice.[Ref]
Gastrointestinal side effects have included dry mouth, dry throat, nausea, and pharyngitis.[Ref]
Nervous system side effects have included somnolence and dizziness. Psychomotor hyperactivity and seizures have been observed in clinical practice.[Ref]
An increase in the incidence of somnolence has been reported in clinical trials (n=1838) at doses of 10 mg/day and 20 mg/day (5.2% and 7.6%, respectively), compared to placebo (2.3%).[Ref]
General side effects have included myalgia and influenza-like symptoms.[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Clarinex (desloratadine)." Schering Corporation, Kenilworth, NJ.
2. Layton D, Wilton L, Boshier A, Cornelius V, Harris S, Shakir SA "Comparison of the risk of drowsiness and sedation between levocetirizine and desloratadine: a prescription-event monitoring study in England." Drug Saf 29 (2006): 897-909
Not all side effects for Aerius may be reported. You should always consult a doctor or healthcare professional for medical advice. Side effects can be reported to the FDA here.
More about Aerius (desloratadine)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 2 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
Related treatment guides
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate safety, effectiveness, or appropriateness for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of materials provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.