Generic name: cetirizine hydrochloride
Dosage form: children's syrup
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Sep 21, 2020.
Active ingredient (in each 5 mL teaspoonful)
Cetirizine HCl 5 mg
temporarily relieves these symptoms due to hay fever or other upper respiratory allergies:
- runny nose
- itchy, watery eyes
- itching of the nose or throat
Do not use if you have ever had an allergic reaction to this product or any of its ingredients or to an antihistamine containing hydroxyzine.
Ask a doctor before use if you have liver or kidney disease. Your doctor should determine if you need a different dose.
Ask a doctor or pharmacist before use if you are taking tranquilizers or sedatives.
When using this product
- drowsiness may occur
- avoid alcoholic drinks
- alcohol, sedatives, and tranquilizers may increase drowsiness
- be careful when driving a motor vehicle or operating machinery
Stop use and ask a doctor if an allergic reaction to this product occurs. Seek medical help right away.
If pregnant or breast-feeding:
- if breast-feeding: not recommended
- if pregnant: ask a health professional before use.
Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away. (1-800-222-1222)
- use only with enclosed dosing cup
|adults and children 6 years and over||1 teaspoonful (5 mL) or 2 teaspoonfuls (10 mL) once daily depending upon severity of symptoms; do not take more than 2 teaspoonfuls (10 mL) in 24 hours.|
|adults 65 years and over||1 teaspoonful (5 mL) once daily; do not take more than 1 teaspoonful (5 mL) in 24 hours.|
|children 2 to under 6 years of age||1/2 teaspoonful (2.5 mL) once daily. If needed, dose can be increased to a maximum of 1 teaspoonful (5 mL) once daily or ½ teaspoonful (2.5 mL) every 12 hours. Do not give more than 1 teaspoonful (5 mL) in 24 hours.|
|children under 2 years of age||ask a doctor|
|consumers with liver or kidney disease||ask a doctor|
- store between 20° to 25°C (68° to 77°F)
- do not use if carton is opened; or if bottle wrap or foil inner seal printed with "Safety Seal®" is broken or missing
- see bottom panel for lot number and expiration date
anhydrous citric acid, flavors, propylene glycol, purified water, sodium benzoate, sorbitol solution, sucralose
PRINCIPAL DISPLAY PANEL
1 mg/mL oral solution
Indoor & Outdoor Allergies
•Itchy, Watery Eyes
•Itchy Throat or Nose
Dye-Free • Sugar-Free
4 FL OZ (118 mL)
Dosing Cup Included
cetirizine hydrochloride syrup
|Labeler - McNeil Consumer Healthcare Div McNeil-PPC, Inc (878046358)|
Frequently asked questions
- Should cetirizine be taken at bedtime or upon awakening? And before or after any particular meal?
- Is Generic Zyrtec Available?
More about cetirizine
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Patient Tips
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 233 Reviews
- Drug class: antihistamines
- Prescribing Information
- Cetirizine (Systemic) (Professional Patient Advice)
- Cetirizine (FDA)
- Cetirizine Oral Solution (FDA)
- Cetirizine Tablets (FDA)
- Cetirizine Tablets Chewable (FDA)