Package insert / product label
Generic name: cetirizine hydrochloride
Dosage form: capsule, liquid filled
Drug class: Antihistamines
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Aug 24, 2023.
Indications and Usage for Zyrtec Capsule
temporarily relieves these symptoms due to hay fever or other upper respiratory allergies:
- runny nose
- itchy, watery eyes
- itching of the nose or throat
Do not use if you have ever had an allergic reaction to this product or any of its ingredients or to an antihistamine containing hydroxyzine.
Ask a doctor before use if you have liver or kidney disease.
Your doctor should determine if you need a different dose.
When using this product
- drowsiness may occur
- avoid alcoholic drinks
- alcohol, sedatives, and tranquilizers may increase drowsiness
- be careful when driving a motor vehicle or operating machinery
Stop use and ask a doctor if an allergic reaction to this product occurs. Seek medical help right away.
If pregnant or breast-feeding
- if breast-feeding: not recommended
- if pregnant: ask a health professional before use.
Zyrtec Capsule Dosage and Administration
|adults and children 6 years and over||one 10 mg capsule once daily; do not take more than one 10 mg capsule in 24 hours. A 5 mg product may be appropriate for less severe symptoms.|
|adults 65 years and over||ask a doctor|
|children under 6 years of age||ask a doctor|
|consumers with liver or kidney disease||ask a doctor|
Storage and Handling
- store at 20°-25°C (68°-77°F)
- avoid high humidity and excessive heat above 40°C (104°F)
- protect from light
- do not use if foil inner seal printed with "SAFETY SEAL®" is broken or missing
gelatin, glycerin, mannitol, pharmaceutical ink, polyethylene glycol 400, purified water, sodium hydroxide, sorbitan, sorbitol
PRINCIPAL DISPLAY PANEL
Original Prescription Strength
INDOOR + OUTDOOR
10 mg capsules
- Runny Nose
- Itchy, Watery Eyes
- Itchy Throat or Nose
10 mg each
cetirizine hydrochloride capsule, liquid filled
|Labeler - Johnson & Johnson Consumer Inc. (878046358)|
Frequently asked questions
- Should cetirizine be taken at bedtime or upon awakening?
- Can you take antihistamines when pregnant?
- Is Generic Zyrtec Available?
More about cetirizine
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Reviews (290)
- Drug images
- Latest FDA alerts (1)
- Side effects
- Dosage information
- Patient tips
- During pregnancy
- Support group
- Drug class: antihistamines