Oyster Shell Calcium with Vitamin D
What is Oyster Shell Calcium with Vitamin D?
Calcium is a mineral that is found naturally in foods. Calcium is necessary for many normal functions of your body, especially bone formation and maintenance.
Vitamin D is important for the absorption of calcium from the stomach and for the functioning of calcium in the body.
Oyster Shell Calcium with Vitamin D is used to prevent or to treat a calcium deficiency.
There are many brands and forms of Oyster Shell Calcium with Vitamin D available. Not all brands are listed on this leaflet.
Oyster Shell Calcium with Vitamin D may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Follow all directions on your medicine label and package. Tell each of your healthcare providers about all your medical conditions, allergies, and all medicines you use.
Before taking this medicine
Ask a doctor or pharmacist if it is safe for you to take this medicine if you have ever had:
high levels of calcium in your blood;
circulation problems; or
a parathyroid gland disorder.
Ask a doctor before using this product if you are pregnant or breast-feeding. Your dose needs may be different during pregnancy or while you are nursing.
How should I take Oyster Shell Calcium with Vitamin D?
Use exactly as directed on the label, or as prescribed by your doctor. Do not use in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
Check the label of your Oyster Shell Calcium with Vitamin D product to see if it should be taken with or without food.
Take the calcium and vitamin D regular tablet with a full glass of water.
The chewable tablet must be chewed before you swallow it.
Do not crush, chew, or break an extended-release tablet. Swallow it whole.
Calcium and vitamin D may be only part of a complete program of treatment that also includes dietary changes. Learn about the foods that contain calcium and vitamin D.
Your supplement dose may need to be adjusted as you make changes to your diet. Follow your doctor's instructions very closely.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
What happens if I miss a dose?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
What happens if I overdose?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222.
What should I avoid while taking Oyster Shell Calcium with Vitamin D?
Ask a doctor or pharmacist before taking any multivitamins, mineral supplements, or antacids while you are taking Oyster Shell Calcium with Vitamin D.
Oyster Shell Calcium with Vitamin D side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have signs of too much calcium in your body, such as:
increased thirst or urination;
muscle weakness, bone pain; or
confusion, lack of energy, or feeling tired.
Common side effects may include:
dry mouth, or a metallic taste in your mouth; or
muscle or bone pain.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
What other drugs will affect Oyster Shell Calcium with Vitamin D?
Calcium can make it harder for your body to absorb certain medicines, and some medicines can make it harder for your body to absorb vitamin D. If you take other medications, take them at least 2 hours before or 4 to 6 hours after you take Oyster Shell Calcium with Vitamin D.
Other drugs may interact with calcium and vitamin D, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products. Tell your doctor about all your current medicines and any medicine you start or stop using.
More about Oyster Shell Calcium with Vitamin D (calcium / vitamin d)
- Side Effects
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: vitamin and mineral combinations
Related treatment guides
Where can I get more information?
- Your pharmacist can provide more information about Oyster Shell Calcium with Vitamin D.
- Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
- Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2012 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 4.01.
Date modified: January 03, 2018
Last reviewed: December 13, 2017