Who makes Skyrizi and where is it made?
Skyrizi is made by AbbVie Inc., a pharmaceutical company located in North Chicago, Illinois. You can contact AbbVie at 1-800-222-6885 or contact them online at Abbvie.com.
When was Skyrizi approved?
In April 2019 the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) first approved Skyrizi (risankizumab-rzaa) from Abbvie. It is an interleukin-23 (IL-23) inhibitor for the treatment of plaque psoriasis in adults who are candidates for systemic therapy or phototherapy.
In 2021, Skyrizi was also approved to treat active psoriatic arthritis in adults, and in 2022 it was approved for moderate-to-severe Crohn's disease in adults.
- For plaque psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis, Skyrizi is given as two initiation doses at week 0 and 4 by a subcutaneous (under the skin) injection, then it is given every 12 weeks as a maintenance dose.
- In Crohn’s Disease, an induction dosage is given via intravenous infusion at Week 0, Week 4, and Week 8. Maintenance dosage is then given by a subcutaneous injection at Week 12, then every 8 weeks thereafter.
- Your doctor can give you the Skyrizi injections at the office, or you (or your caregiver), can learn to give them at home (pre-filled pen or syringe).
Does Skyrizi have common side effects?
Common side effects in plaque psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis include upper respiratory infections, headache, fatigue, injection site reactions and tinea (fungal) infections.
In Crohn's disease, common side effects include upper respiratory infections, headache, and arthralgia (joint pain) during the induction period, and arthralgia, injection site reactions, abdominal pain, anemia, pyrexia (fever), back pain, arthropathy (joint disease), and urinary tract infection.
Learn More: Skyrizi Uses and Safety Information
This is not all the information you need to know about Skyrizi (risankizumab-rzaa) for safe and effective use and does not take the place of talking to your doctor about your treatment. Review the full Skyrizi information here, and discuss this information and any questions you have with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Skyrizi (risankizumab-rzaa) prescribing information. AbbVie Inc. 6/2022. Accessed June 20, 2022 at https://www.rxabbvie.com/pdf/skyrizi_pi.pdf
Related medical questions
- What does psoriasis look like?
- How does Tremfya work to treat plaque and psoriatic arthritis?
- How do you get psoriasis and is it contagious?
- How does Ilumya work to treat psoriasis?
- Why should I take folic acid with methotrexate?
- What are the new drugs for the treatment of plaque psoriasis?
- How do you use clobetasol propionate on your scalp?
- What is a substitute for fluocinonide cream?
- Halobetasol vs. clobetasol - how do they compare?
- What causes Plaque Psoriasis?
- How long does methotrexate stay in your system?