How long does it take for Vumerity to work?
Vumerity (diroximel fumarate) is a delayed-release capsule used to treat relapsing forms of the autoimmune disorder multiple sclerosis. It is thought to have an effect as early as 24 weeks after patients start taking it.
MS is a condition in which a person’s own immune system mistakenly attacks the central nervous system (CNS), causing inflammation and damage to myelin, which forms fatty sheaths around nerve cells to protect them. It is not yet known exactly how Vumerity works in the treatment of MS, but it has anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidative properties.
Vumerity contains diroximel fumarate. Diroximel fumarate is rapidly converted in the body to monomethyl fumarate (MMF), which is the same active metabolite Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) has.
The results of clinical studies investigating Tecfidera were used to gain FDA approval for Vumerity, given that they both have the same active metabolite, MMF.
In an analysis of data from the phase III DEFINE and CONFIRM studies, which looked at the effects of Tecfidera on health-related quality of life, the drug was found to start working as early as 24 weeks after it was started, although it can take up to 2 years to for its full effects to be seen.
- Parodi B, Rossi S, Morando S, et al. Fumarates modulate microglia activation through a novel HCAR2 signaling pathway and rescue synaptic dysregulation in inflamed CNS. Acta Neuropathol. 2015;130(2):279-295. doi:10.1007/s00401-015-1422-3.
- Yadav SK, Soin D, Ito K, Dhib-Jalbut S. Insight into the mechanism of action of dimethyl fumarate in multiple sclerosis. J Mol Med (Berl). 2019 Apr;97(4):463-472. doi: 10.1007/s00109-019-01761-5. Epub 2019 Feb 28. PMID: 30820593.
- Kourakis, S.; Timpani, C.A.; de Haan, J.B.; Gueven, N.; Fischer, D.; Rybalka, E. Dimethyl Fumarate and Its Esters: A Drug with Broad Clinical Utility? Pharmaceuticals 2020, 13(10), 306; https://doi.org/10.3390/ph13100306.
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Vumerity. Available from: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2020/211855s002lbl.pdf. [Accessed December 11, 2020].
- Kita M, Fox RJ, Gold R, et al. Effects of delayed-release dimethyl fumarate (DMF) on health-related quality of life in patients with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis: an integrated analysis of the phase 3 DEFINE and CONFIRM studies [published correction appears in Clin Ther. 2018 Mar 7;:]. Clin Ther. 2014;36(12):1958-1971. doi:10.1016/j.clinthera.2014.08.013.
Related Medical Questions
- How do Vumerity and Tecfidera compare for multiple sclerosis (MS)?
- How does Vumerity work?
- Vumerity vs Mayzent - what's the difference?
- What are the new drugs used for multiple sclerosis (MS)?
- Vumerity Information for Consumers
- Vumerity Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Vumerity (detailed)