What are the new drugs used for multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Medically reviewed by Judith Stewart, BPharm. Last updated on Sep 10, 2020.
The newest drugs for the treatment of multiple sclerosis include Kesimpta, Bafiertam, Zeposia, Vumerity, Mavenclad, Mayzent, Ocrevus, and Lemtrada.
Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a neurological disease that affects that affects the brain and spinal cord. In MS, the body's immune system attacks the protective myelin sheaths that cover nerve fibers, causing areas of scarring called sclerosis.
MS is a lifelong illness. It can follow one of several different patterns:
- Relapsing-Remitting MS (RRMS). The most common form of multiple sclerosis characterized by temporary periods of relapses and remissions.
- Secondary-Progressive MS (SPMS). Most people who are diagnosed with RRMS will transition to SPMS at some stage. In SPMS, symptoms worsen more steadily over time, with or without the occurrence of relapses and remissions.
- Primary-Progressive MS (PPMS). An uncommon form of MS characterized by slowly worsening symptoms from the onset, with no relapses or remissions.
- Progressive-Relapsing MS (PRMS). A rare form of MS characterized by a steadily worsening disease state from the onset.
Latest FDA Approvals for Multiple Sclerosis
|Novartis||August 20, 2020||CD20-directed cytolytic monoclonal antibody||RRMS, SPMS|
|Bafiertam||monomethyl fumarate (delayed-release capsules)||Banner Life Sciences LLC||April 28, 2020||oral fumarate||RRMS|
|Zeposia||ozanimod (capsules)||Bristol-Myers Squibb Company||March 25, 2020||sphingosine 1-phosphate receptor modulator||RRMS|
|Biogen||October 29, 2019||oral fumarate||RRMS|
|Mavenclad||cladribine (tablets)||EMD Serono, Inc.||March 29, 2019||purine antimetabolite||RRMS, SPMS|
|Mayzent||siponimod (tablets)||Novartis||March 26, 2019||sphingosine-1-phosphate receptor modulator||RRMS, SPMS|
|Ocrevus||ocrelizumab (injection)||Genentech, Inc.||March 28, 2017||CD20-directed cytolytic monoclonal antibody||RRMS, SPMS, PPMS|
|Zinbryta (withdrawn from market March 2018)||daclizumab (injection)||Biogen||May 27, 2016||interleukin-2 receptor blocking antibody||RRMS|
|Lemtrada||alemtuzumab (injection)||Genzyme Corporation||November 14, 2014||CD52-directed cytolytic monoclonal antibody||RRMS|
|Plegridy||peginterferon beta-1a (injection)||Biogen||August 15, 2014||pegylated interferon beta||RRMS, SPMS|
|Tecfidera||dimethyl fumarate (capsules)||Biogen||March 27, 2013||Nrf2 pathway activator||RRMS, SPMS|
|Aubagio||teriflunomide (tablets)||Sanofi||September 12, 2012||pyrimidine synthesis inhibitor||RRMS, SPMS|
|Gilenya||fingolimod (capsules)||Novartis||September 21, 2010||sphingosine 1-phosphate receptor modulator||RRMS, SPMS|
|Tysabri||natalizumab (injection)||Biogen||November 23, 2004||integrin receptor antagonist||RRMS, SPMS|
For more information, see Multiple Sclerosis: What's New in MS Treatment Options?
Drugs in Development for Multiple Sclerosis
|Brand Name||Generic Name||Company||Development Stage||Type||Condition|
|laquinimod||Teva Pharmaceuticals||Phase 2/3||CNS-active immunomodulator||RRMS, PPMS|
|ublituximab||TG Therapeutics||Phase 3||glycoengineered anti-CD20 monoclonal antibody||RRMS|
|ponesimod||Janssen||BLA||sphingosine-1-phosphate receptor 1 (S1P1) modulator||RRMS|
Related Medical Questions
- What types of MS does Ocrevus treat?
- How much does an Ocrevus infusion cost?
- Is Ocrevus a form of chemotherapy?
- How long does it take Ocrevus to work?
- How does Ocrevus work for MS?
- How long does an Ocrevus infusion take?
Related Support Groups
- Tecfidera (15 questions, 50 members)
- Dimethyl Fumarate
- Peginterferon Beta-1a
- Diroximel Fumarate
- Monomethyl Fumarate
- Multiple Sclerosis (66 questions, 518 members)