What are the new drugs used for multiple sclerosis (MS)?
The newest drugs for the treatment of multiple sclerosis include Ponvory, Kesimpta, Bafiertam, Zeposia, Vumerity, Mavenclad, Mayzent, Ocrevus, and Lemtrada.
Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a neurological disease that affects the brain and spinal cord. In MS, the body's immune system attacks the protective myelin sheaths that cover nerve fibers, causing areas of scarring called sclerosis.
MS is a lifelong illness. It can follow one of several different patterns:
- Relapsing-Remitting MS (RRMS). The most common form of multiple sclerosis characterized by temporary periods of relapses and remissions.
- Secondary-Progressive MS (SPMS). Most people who are diagnosed with RRMS will transition to SPMS at some stage. In SPMS, symptoms worsen more steadily over time, with or without the occurrence of relapses and remissions.
- Primary-Progressive MS (PPMS). An uncommon form of MS characterized by slowly worsening symptoms from the onset, with no relapses or remissions.
- Progressive-Relapsing MS (PRMS). A rare form of MS characterized by a steadily worsening disease state from the onset.
Latest FDA Approvals for Multiple Sclerosis
|Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.||March 18, 2021||sphingosine 1-phosphate receptor modulator||RRMS, SPMS|
|Novartis||August 20, 2020||CD20-directed cytolytic monoclonal antibody||RRMS, SPMS|
|Bafiertam||monomethyl fumarate (delayed-release capsules)||Banner Life Sciences LLC||April 28, 2020||oral fumarate||RRMS, SPMS|
|Zeposia||ozanimod (capsules)||Bristol-Myers Squibb Company||March 25, 2020||sphingosine 1-phosphate receptor modulator||RRMS, SPMS|
|Biogen||October 29, 2019||oral fumarate||RRMS, SPMS|
|Mavenclad||cladribine (tablets)||EMD Serono, Inc.||March 29, 2019||purine antimetabolite||RRMS, SPMS|
|Mayzent||siponimod (tablets)||Novartis||March 26, 2019||sphingosine-1-phosphate receptor modulator||RRMS, SPMS|
|Ocrevus||ocrelizumab (injection)||Genentech, Inc.||March 28, 2017||CD20-directed cytolytic monoclonal antibody||RRMS, SPMS, PPMS|
|Zinbryta (withdrawn from market March 2018)||daclizumab (injection)||Biogen||May 27, 2016||interleukin-2 receptor blocking antibody||RRMS|
|Lemtrada||alemtuzumab (injection)||Genzyme Corporation||November 14, 2014||CD52-directed cytolytic monoclonal antibody||RRMS, SPMS|
|Plegridy||peginterferon beta-1a (injection)||Biogen||August 15, 2014||pegylated interferon beta||RRMS, SPMS|
|Tecfidera||dimethyl fumarate (capsules)||Biogen||March 27, 2013||Nrf2 pathway activator||RRMS, SPMS|
|Aubagio||teriflunomide (tablets)||Sanofi||September 12, 2012||pyrimidine synthesis inhibitor||RRMS, SPMS|
|Gilenya||fingolimod (capsules)||Novartis||September 21, 2010||sphingosine 1-phosphate receptor modulator||RRMS, SPMS|
|Tysabri||natalizumab (injection)||Biogen||November 23, 2004||integrin receptor antagonist||RRMS, SPMS|
For more information, see Multiple Sclerosis: What's New in MS Treatment Options?
Drugs in Development for Multiple Sclerosis
|Brand Name||Generic Name||Company||Development Stage||Type||Condition|
|laquinimod||Teva Pharmaceuticals||Phase 2/3||CNS-active immunomodulator||RRMS, PPMS|
|ublituximab||TG Therapeutics||Phase 3||glycoengineered anti-CD20 monoclonal antibody||RRMS|
Related Medical Questions
- How do Vumerity and Tecfidera compare for multiple sclerosis (MS)?
- Can Tecfidera cause stomach damage?
- Is Tecfidera an immunosuppressant?
- Can I stop taking Tecfidera? What happens if I do?
- Can you drink alcohol while taking Tecfidera?
- What causes flushing with Tecfidera?
- Gilenya vs Tecfidera. How do they compare?
- How long can you take Tecfidera?
- Does Tecfidera cause weight gain or loss?
- How long does it take Tecfidera to start working?
- Can Tecfidera cause progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy (PML)?
- Can Tecfidera cause low lymphocytes?
Related Support Groups
- Tecfidera (15 questions, 52 members)
- Aubagio (11 questions, 28 members)
- Dimethyl Fumarate (11 questions, 5 members)
- Gilenya (10 questions, 83 members)
- Ocrevus (9 questions, 10 members)
- Fingolimod (9 questions, 9 members)
- Ocrelizumab (7 questions, 3 members)
- Teriflunomide (6 questions, 4 members)
- Mayzent (6 questions, 4 members)
- Vumerity (5 questions, 3 members)
- Cladribine (5 questions, 10 members)
- Mavenclad (5 questions, 3 members)
- Zeposia (4 questions, 3 members)
- Ozanimod (4 questions, 3 members)
- Peginterferon Beta-1a (3 questions, 3 members)
- Plegridy (3 questions, 4 members)
- Zinbryta (2 questions, 3 members)
- Lemtrada (1 questions, 5 members)
- Daclizumab (1 questions, 3 members)
- Diroximel Fumarate (1 questions, 3 members)
- Siponimod (1 questions, 3 members)
- Monomethyl Fumarate (1 questions, 3 members)
- Alemtuzumab (1 questions, 3 members)
- Bafiertam (1 questions, 3 members)
- Multiple Sclerosis (79 questions, 528 members)