Can you drink alcohol while taking Tecfidera?
Although there is no direct interaction between alcohol and Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate), you should not drink excessive quantities of alcohol while you are taking Tecfidera, because it may increase the risk of side effects such as inflammation of the stomach (gastritis), especially in those with a history of stomach problems. You should avoid drinking alcohol, especially strong spirits, for at least an hour after taking Tecfidera; however, one glass of alcohol, now and then at a different time of day to your Tecfidera dose is considered OK.
Be aware that alcohol can also exacerbate MS symptoms, such as imbalance, tremor, numbness, and lack of coordination, even after just one drink in some people. If alcohol affects you in this way, then it is probably better that you avoid alcohol completely. The risks of alcohol consumption for people with MS are still being studied.
- Oglethorpe A. Do Multiple Sclerosis and Alcohol Mix? Web MD https://www.webmd.com/multiple-sclerosis/features/do-ms-alcohol-mix
- Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) 02/2020 Biogen Inc. https://www.drugs.com/pro/tecfidera.html
- Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) April 2020 Multiple Sclerosis Trust https://www.mstrust.org.uk/a-z/tecfidera-dimethyl-fumarate#:~:text=The%20way%20Tecfidera%20works%20is,released%20during%20the%20immune%20attack
Related Medical Questions
- How do Vumerity and Tecfidera compare for multiple sclerosis (MS)?
- Can Tecfidera cause stomach damage?
- What are the new drugs used for multiple sclerosis (MS)?
- Is Tecfidera an immunosuppressant?
- Can I stop taking Tecfidera? What happens if I do?
- What causes flushing with Tecfidera?
- Gilenya vs Tecfidera. How do they compare?
- How long can you take Tecfidera?
- Does Tecfidera cause weight gain or loss?
- How long does it take Tecfidera to start working?
- Can Tecfidera cause progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy (PML)?
- Can Tecfidera cause low lymphocytes?