User Reviews for Tecfidera

Multiple Sclerosis 6.3

Reviews for Tecfidera

BearMog July 24, 2020

For Multiple Sclerosis: “I’ve been on Tecfidera since October 2016. MS diagnosed 2006. Been on Copaxone, Rebif, Gilenya, Tysabri. I’m now Secondary Progressive MS (not even 50yo yet). For first year on Tecfidera my side effects that I had were severe flushing, rash, and itching which lasted about 2 hours after each dose. I was told by neurologist to chew half to full baby aspirin with each dose to help with the Tecfidera side effects and it worked - NO MORE FLUSHING or ITCHING. For the past two years I’ve been able to reduce the amount of aspirin to about a 1/4 baby aspirin per dose. Sometimes I can go without it for a day or two. But the chewable baby aspirin (84mg) works like magic to take away the severe flushing, rash, and itching. Also, I’ve only had one exacerbation since being on Tecfidera and it was mild. Such a huge relief because I had exacerbations every 12-18 months previously. I’m not switching off this as long it keeps working. Especially during this pandemic! No way I’m going in for infusions.”

KJ · Taken for less than 1 month June 16, 2020

For Multiple Sclerosis: “I was diagnosed with MS in February 2018. I started taking Copaxone but after the first year, an MRI showed a new lesion so I stopped. I did not enjoy injections three times a week, but I had very few side effects. I stayed off of medication for about a year and again had one new lesion. I started Tecfidera three weeks ago today. Day two of the starter dose had mild GI troubles. Then day four got a little worse but not horrible. I started the full dose and had slightly worse GI symptoms. Sadly day six on the full dose I was bad. I have terrible diarrhea and stomach cramps. Now my heart rate is elevated, I have a low grade fever, and I’m on day three of very bad GI symptoms. I’m trying to stay hydrated and am hoping this will be short lived.”

Carpy · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 1, 2020

For Multiple Sclerosis: “Been on Tecfidera since 2017 for MS have found out recently that my white blood cells count are low which has placed me on the at risk list, but on the good side my MRI scan results show that they are working, down side still continue to get bad flushing”

Donny Juan · Taken for less than 1 month May 31, 2020

For Multiple Sclerosis: “I started taking Tecfidera about 3 weeks ago. I started on the lower dose of 120 mg twice a day for 7 days. I experienced pretty bad flushing the first day, but it didn’t really bother me. I compared it to using tingle tanning lotion. I also had bloating, but again nothing too bad. After 7 days I started taking 240 mg twice a day. I felt okay for the first few days. The bloating got a little worse, and I did have stomach pains 1 night, but I thought maybe I ate something bad. Fast forward to a week later, and I begin having severe stomach pains/ cramping and bloating. It started early Friday morning (woke me up), and is continuing. Nothing helps the pain. Not Kaopectate, GasX, Tums, extra strength Tylenol, nothing. I’ve barely slept at all this weekend because the pain is so bad. I decided to not take any more of the medicine until I speak with my doctor. I read the side effects will subside, and I really tried to tough it out, but I can’t handle the pain anymore.”

Norse · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 12, 2020

For Multiple Sclerosis: “After 4 months on this I dropped it. I experienced brain fog, heavy headedness and tiredness right after taking always. Occasionally, it would leave me with a bad headache, again right after taking. Followed by an annoying flushing and runny nose throughout the day. It was interrupting my life, and as soon as I stopped, these symptoms stopped too.”

buddy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 5, 2020

For Multiple Sclerosis: “certainly not the most comfortable medication in terms of sideffects;joint ligaments discomfort, hip , evil ”

Mason · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 26, 2020

For Multiple Sclerosis: “I have been on Tecfidera for 5 years. The only side effect I ever have is flushing. I always take the pill with a full meal. The flushing normally comes on if I eat lunch. Maybe eating once the pill is fully in your stomach reacts with the lunch, I'm not sure. Over all, even the flushing is normally minor and goes away after 10 mins. I have had no flare ups in the five years I've been on the med that I know of.”

Nikki · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 9, 2020

For Multiple Sclerosis: “I was diagnosed Sept 2018 with MS and started tecfidera. I was symptom free for a year but doc says got few more lesions so they want to change to gilenya I'm scared.”

Karen · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 16, 2019

For Multiple Sclerosis: “I've been on Tecfidera for 8 months. Been having stomach issues, thought it was my pancreas which I do have a cyst on. The pain after taking this medication is terrible!!! The flushing is getting worse not better!! Now because of aspirin and the meds, I am having severe gastrointestinal issues!! I would rather deal with the side effects of of Injections, much easier to deal with!! Seeing my doctor in 2 weeks and am going off of it!!”

NoElle November 11, 2019

For Multiple Sclerosis: “I have been on Tecfidera since it was approved in 2013. It has been a god-send as it kept all the lesions away for 6 years (with little to no side-effects), but now I find myself having to search for another medication as I have had 2 lesions just this year. My old Neuro had been pushing Tysabri, so I went searching for another Neuro ( also found my old Neuro on Dollars for Docs, she made $180,000 from big Pharma last year!! and that did not include her normal doctor salary) Now my new Neuro is looking to get me on Tysabri as well, but I am having lots of concerns on the side-effects and the black-box label. (plus reading the reviews..) I starting in 2010 with Copaxone (9 months) and probably would have stayed on it but it almost sent me to the emergency room (twice). Switched to AVONEX (2 years) but the side-effects of flu left me out of commission for 2~3 days after. Switched to Tecfidera when it came available. Now it looks like I will have to make another switch.”

Cat · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 7, 2019

For Multiple Sclerosis: “I was taking Tecfidera for about 2 years. I regularly had my white blood cells checked. They dropped below 1 and dr took me off and no medication until white count comes up. After two years my white count has not improved. Still no MS medication, luckily no new flare-ups of my MS. If you take this medication, please keep a check on white blood cells.”

Unfair · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 5, 2019

For Multiple Sclerosis: “Its really sad that a medication that is needed for somebody suffering with MS costs so much. My mom can't afford it and there are no grant's available. Sad that she will now suffer because pharmaceutical companies are greedy.”

DEE November 3, 2019

For Multiple Sclerosis: “I was diagnosed in March of 2019 with MS and put on Tecfidera in August. The pain from the burning for hours is terrible. It's NOT a flushing feeling. It's burning. My scalp, chest , armband, back area. Told my Neurologist and he said stay on it a while longer to get adjusted to it. But the burning feeling won't let you. Something is wrong with those ingredients. No medication should add to your problems that bad. Praying for another medication for all MS patients to get some relief.”

BrilliantApex · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 31, 2019

For Multiple Sclerosis: “I was told I had MS in 2004. Doctor started me out with taking Avonex weekly. I hated injecting myself and the flu like feeling after taking it. That was 8 years. Doctor suggested Tefidera so I decided to try it. I have found that taking it with food helps the flushing and itching. Also it helps to take the medicine at the same time each day. Missing a dose will usually cause the flushing and itching to return. Also find that taking without food causes stomach issues. MRI results show that it is indeed working with no new signs of MS showing.”

Newly diagnosed · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 27, 2019

For Multiple Sclerosis: “Flushing and itching on first day. Taking baby aspirin and 24hr non drowsy Claritin. No more side effects. Always take at the end of meal.”

Rusty · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 23, 2019

For Multiple Sclerosis: “Have been taking DMF (dimethyl fumarate) for MS for the past four years and since taken MRI has shown no increase in lesions. Only side effect has been occasional flushing which can be itchy, uncomfortable and embarrassing. Flushing typically only lasts about 20 min.”

T2019 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 21, 2019

For Multiple Sclerosis: “Been taking tecfidera for my MS about 4 months been having hot flashes very little stomach discomfort but my huge complaint is my hair is falling out it’s pretty bad and very upsetting from a woman’s stand point. Trying to switch from Tecfidera which was my first MS drug - I was diagnosed in July. The hair loss is not a common side effect but I think it needs to be added to the list!”

CLS · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 26, 2019

For Multiple Sclerosis: “I was put on Tecfidera 5 years ago to change from 5 years of daily Copaxone injections. Initially, I was fine with it. At year 4 side effects attributed to the medication began. Sinusitis and headaches started. Medications to treat these issues did not work. Then came the skewed liver function tests. Since long term and untreatable liver damage would occur, I was taken off of it. Now that I have been off Tecfidera for 4 months I am healthy again. I was diagnosed 10 years ago and my repeated MRI and testing show no new lesions or inflammation has ever occurred during this time. Sometimes I wonder if I really do have MS.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 26, 2019

For Multiple Sclerosis: “I've been on this for a 1.5 years. I had no issues from the beginning. No new lesions since diagnosed. No stomach issues. My arms will itch every now and then. There are people that are like me and don't have any problems. If you are trying to decide on this drug- know that.”

Jane Deer · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 16, 2019

For Multiple Sclerosis: “I have been on Tecfidera for 8 mths for MS and have decided to stop. Since taking it fatigue has gone through the roof to the point I can't work anymore. Also I had hair loss which is not a noted side effect. I felt better when I was taking nothing (previously on avonex). We all react differently but I just feel a break from any drug worth a shot to see if life improves. Good luck everyone x”

Ash · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 4, 2019

For Multiple Sclerosis: “I've been taking Tecfidera for almost 3 years and in 3 years I've only had 1 lesion added based on the MRI. This is very good news... Due to fatigue and slow bowel movements I stopped taking it for about 2 months and it seems I have more energy. I'm seeing my neurologist in 2 weeks to see if there is an alternative or if he has any recommendations.”

easypeesylemon · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 29, 2019

For Multiple Sclerosis: “Been on tecfidera for 6 months now. Had noticeable flushing at the start but nothing unmanageable (tried to think of it as a funny thing). Can take it now without food and have a slight feeling of flushing but not much. Not sure if it's working but easy to take and glad I choose this over avonex (side effects wise). I would recommend this from my experience but everyone seems to react differently.”

jonsygirl · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 30, 2019

For Multiple Sclerosis: “Been on this medicine for two months and it worst than having a baby and tooth ache, the severe stomach cramps , hard time breathing and bowel movements, I asked my doctor to take me off this meds. I've been very sick since taking these meds.”

Chuckles · Taken for less than 1 month July 28, 2019

For Multiple Sclerosis: “I started Tecfidera three weeks ago. First week I had transient symptoms but they were tolerable. Beginning my third week, I developed a severe cold with fever, diarrhea and nausea. They said this can happen because of my lowered immunity. I feel sick as a dog and just want to stop this drug.”

NOMAM PAM · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 24, 2019

For Multiple Sclerosis: “Say no to this one ! I tried this and the side effects were horrible- very severe hot flashes, burning and itching sensation over my entire body. I stopped it 2and a half years ago and those hot flushes won't go away ”