User Reviews for Copaxone

Multiple Sclerosis   7.7

Reviews for Copaxone

jmb70 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 18, 2021

For Multiple Sclerosis: “I had tried Copaxone after Avonex (which had caused horrific headaches 5 out of 7 days of the week) and after 2 months on the medication I had two horrible reactions 2 out of 3 days. Same symptoms, second time sent me to the Emergency Room. I really thought I was having a heart attack. Freezing/Chills for hours, severe shaking, heart palpitations, - I thought I was the end of me. Neurologist said those symptoms are rare, but twice in 3 days was a bit much. Not to mention the daily injections and the pain after the injections in my legs and stomach. Switched to Rebif. Was on that for 7 years and have been off all medications for over a year. MS symptoms getting worse but the side effects of all the newer medications make me question whether it is worse to take them or just naturally worsen. I know that is sad, but I have young children and don't want to develop PML. I wish they would come out with medications that don't have a laundry list of side effects.”

MaggieMayTB · Taken for 10 years or more March 7, 2020

For Multiple Sclerosis: “Dx w/ MS 9/26/2006 at age 43. I started using Copaxone on 10/11/2006. At the time I started using Copaxone, it was a daily injection. I now use the 40mg / 3x a week injection. I am proud to report I have never missed an injection ***100% compliance *** ! I work 60hrs a week and as long Copaxone is available I will never change. No pills or infusion. I hate needles so the auto-inject is a life saver. MS sucks but I feel I am on the right path.”

Stimmy · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 17, 2019

For Multiple Sclerosis: “Have been using 9 years. Had mild injection reactions initially that lasted a few minutes. Have had very mild progression overall.”

Meog · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 14, 2019

For Multiple Sclerosis: “I was on Copaxone 40 mg for 2 months before I quit. It was my 1st MS drug; I hope I won't react so poorly to the next. For me each injection just really hurt. It *burned* starting 15 - 30 sec in, even with an ice pack. The burn was intense for ~15 min, then in ~1 hour it lessened enough I could limp off to bed. Welts ~2" in diameter formed on my arms and thighs, and lumps formed in my stomach or the back of my hips. The welts were painful and hot for 3-7 days (thigh injections were the worst; I cried after those). The lumps itched for ~5 days after stopping hurting (~1 day). Not to say they weren't bad too; just less so. The burning was bad enough that by the 2nd month I had my husband do the injections; I just couldn't bring myself to put the needle in anymore. Does everyone who uses Copaxone feel like this and just suck it up? Am I being a wimp here? I hope not.”

Tabpolo · Taken for 10 years or more June 1, 2019

For Multiple Sclerosis: “Diagnoses in 2006, started on Rebif which early killed me. Crashing Blood sugar levels. Got on Copaxone, first 20 mg every day, then 40 mg 3x/week. Besides the minor effects of tingling, fatigue, slowing down, no major issues. MRIs show minor progression. Nov 2018 my insurance notified me it would no longer cover the cost. I’ve been working with my doctor to find the next med, tried Tecfidera, stopped after 3 weeks the side effects were so horrible. I want back on Copaxone.”

Alleyah · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 12, 2019

For Multiple Sclerosis: “Copaxone didn't work for me, I had severe shaking episodes after administering the medication and my doctor suggested that I might be having allergic reactions to the treatment. I'm in the process of selecting another one.”

Lee · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 31, 2019

For Multiple Sclerosis: “I had injection site reactions, shortness of breath and mild chest pains. Was told these were normal reactions that would pass. Well. They in fact never passed. Instead this drug caused me to go into anaphylactic shock. I'm lucky I'm here to write this review. I checked and cannot find anywhere on this drugs page where my experience was indicated. Shows similar reactions but yrs ago. My experience was within the last few years. It is important that people comment with anapylactic shock reactions so more people are aware. So I felt compelled to share my story”

Ironmoon · Taken for 10 years or more January 15, 2019

For Multiple Sclerosis: “Transitioned from Avonex when it stopped providing benefits. While Copaxone has not fully stopped disease progression, it has slowed progression to a crawl. In fact any progression of the MS has been difficult to discern except over long periods of time, looking back!”

A good support and backup · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 24, 2018

For Multiple Sclerosis: “I was diagnosed in 2008. Was put on Betasron - didn't work, Techfidera (nightmare no good always read ingredients),Then Copaxone which was a great fit, 20mg works for me and exercise that helps balance and builds muscle. Copaxone it helps but talk to your and nurse because most patient reacts differently.”

Lake girl · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 20, 2018

For Multiple Sclerosis: “I was diagnosed with Relapsing MS August 2017. I started on 40mg Copaxone Injectable 3/week. At first it didn’t seem so bad. Then after the repetitiveness, I began having terrible site reactions after 5 months. I tried sticking it out, but then I started getting bad headaches, weight gain & joint pain. I decided to switch to a once a day pill.”

Vamp E · Taken for less than 1 month May 16, 2018

For Multiple Sclerosis: “OMG, first time taking copaxone after taking avonex for 20 years. It is unbelievable, no side effects. Even though I am happy that avonex was there and I truly believe that because I stayed on it my MS is controllable it was a pain, the side affects were too much. I am happy to try copaxone, I was not happy with injecting myself daily but since there are no side effects....that helps. :)”

Shereld8808 · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 4, 2018

For Multiple Sclerosis: “Was on it for 2 yrs then it just stopped working”

Ranharri May 1, 2018

For Multiple Sclerosis: “Diagnosed in 2000. Lost all feeling in half of right arm. MRI showed innumerable lesions in brain & 3 on spine. Also evidence of MS in spinal fluid. Immediately began Copaxone 20 mg daily. Swank MS diet limiting saturated fat to 15 grams per day. Have taken Vit B, D , Coq 10, chorella ( for the amino acids), multi-vits, sphingolin ( Myelin protein) , evening primrose oil & fish oil w/ food at lunch.. Also apitherapy ( hugely helpful) sting myself with live honeybees whenever possible . I Had one exacerbation in 2005 where I was dragging my foot when walking & was put on steroid intervenous drip for 2nd time ( which reversed all symptoms..). I exercise 3 times per week with mild cardio (stairclimber, weights, swim) don't push myself except to get heart rate up to about 130- 150 with push at the end. No real symptoms except for occasional tingling & minor balance issues. Naps also very important . Massage also helpful... Something is working... Don't know what...”

Fern · Taken for 10 years or more April 15, 2018

For Multiple Sclerosis: “I had my first MS symptoms in 1985; diagnosed with RRMS in 1990. Started on Copaxone in 2000, 18 years ago. When they came out with 3x a week injections, I switched to that. My course has been largely benign: most of my symptoms involve sensory sensations on my right side, a few times those sensations have been pronounced enough that it causes weakness/numbness in my foot and some trouble walking. I haven't had a relapse for 8 years now; not sure if it's because I have mild MS or if it's the Copaxone. For now, I'm not willing to go off it to find out. Of all the MS drugs, I think Copaxone has the most manageable side effects. I've never had any problems aside from being a little sore after the injection and getting those lumps after repeated injections. Years back I stopped injecting in my arms/legs because I don't have a lot of fat there and the lumps I felt in those areas eventually went away. It took about a year, but they did disappear.”

Itasara · Taken for 10 years or more March 28, 2018

For Multiple Sclerosis: “Diagnosed with MS 2005 started on Copaxone daily. A few months later in 2006. Stayed on it for about nine years and then the 40 mg came out I have been on there for the past three years or so. My first major symptom was transverse myelitis Which eventually led to my diagnosis. It basically went away on its own except left my feet with sensory numbness. Other than a couple other very annoying symptoms, I’ve had no major problems with either the 20 mg or the 40 mg dose. I use an injector and always have. I will be having my first MRI in 12 years next week so will be interesting to see if anything has really changed. In any case my neurologist said he would not change my Treatment regardless of what an MRI Showed which is why he never order an MRI after original ones. Now it’s more of a curiosity after all this time.”

JONSYGIRL · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 20, 2018

For Multiple Sclerosis: “My hair fell out, I gained a lot of weight, my tooth decayed and I ended up with severe shakes after taking it. ”

Meme!1 · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 12, 2017

For Multiple Sclerosis: “I've been on Copaxone since 2015 tried Amryia brand it was terrible side effects. Copaxone was slightly annoying but not bad. Recently I've experience a relapse and had one 3day intravenous therapy. Tried to take my Copaxone and the nuasea was unbearable with gaging and pain in my back. My Dr. told me to take a break. I'll do that. Also the Flushing and itching seem to have heighten. I'm going to try in a week and see if the symptoms decrease if not I'm going to have to try something else.. I'm taking turmeric and multi 5000 mg vitamins.. My only recourse at this time...any suggestions..???”

Stuck.. · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 18, 2017

For Multiple Sclerosis: “I was diagnosed wiht relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis (RRMS) in 2009. Started Copaxone 20 mg. Used auto inject..Had injection site lumps, itching, bee sting like reaction always. The skin began to atrophy. Had the immediate post-injection reaction (IPIR) too many times to count. Can't breathe, flushing, back spasms, terrible headache, chest pain... was switched to 40 mg because of lack of injection sites a few years later.. IPIR was THE WORST I've ever experienced. Stopped taking it for about 6 weeks. No exacerbations since my diagnosis. While off the meds I started having more nerve pain. My MS Dr said to switch back to 20 mg. I had a bad reaction last night w freezing shaking and joint/muscle pain for an hour. I have 4 injection sites left to use. Hips and flanks. Don't want liver trouble from other meds. Stuck.”

Basisforhope · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 11, 2017

For Multiple Sclerosis: “Taking 40mg 3x week for RIS, scans show MS but don't yet have a clinical diagnosis. Some welts and one large bruise but otherwise shots (all self inject) have been OK.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 28, 2017

For Multiple Sclerosis: “Diagnosed MS 2/2015; problems started 12/2014 1st Tecfidera: @4-5 months, many side-effects, horrible flushing, medicine worse than MS, t-cells plummeted. 2nd Copaxone: @ 2 months: hypothermia (one time very serious), and infections; @9 months, mammogram showed calcification. Pre-filled needle is thick and painful; syringes are poorly made and slip, causing pain; big lumps at injection site. 3rd Wahl's protocal (level 1 w/supplements) and Radical Remission protocal: All symptoms resolved, am better now than any time I can remember. I look forward to MRI next month, will be about 1 1/2 months off meds at that time, and 11 months on Wahls & Radical Remission lifestyle.”

ciara77 · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 25, 2017

For Multiple Sclerosis: “Started taking Copaxone 16 months ago- no major side effects until last two months , On two occasions MS Nurse thinks I may of injected into bloodstream - uncontrollable shaking and chills - my husband almost called an ambulance. Neuro wants me to start Aubagio but I would like to trial the MS diet first on a 3 month trial.I don't know what to do !”

Gilenyasurvivor August 20, 2017

For Multiple Sclerosis: “Doctor and I, together, decided to begin copaxone 40 mg after having been on copaxone 20 mg for 6 years, gilenya for 6 years (survived viral Encephalitis after this drug). Almost immediately, my joints began to stiffen and became painful ... so much so that lifting and using my hands is very difficult. It feels like I have arthritis in my joints. The nurse and the MS clinic informed me this is a 2.7% reported side effect. Now trying to detox my body.”

FiftySue July 15, 2017

For Multiple Sclerosis: “Hey all! I was diagnosed with MS 25 years ago. I was on no meds for 15 yrs, Copaxone 20mg for 5 yrs then switched to Gilenya for 6 yrs. Then 2 weeks hospitalized with viral encephalitis!! Do not go on immune suppressing MS drugs!! I agree with others about the Wahl protocol... eat to feed your brain. Also include cardo, strength training and stretching weekly. I am starting Copaxone 40 mg. Should be no problem. ”

Adge · Taken for less than 1 month June 25, 2017

For Multiple Sclerosis: “Took about 20 injections no effect yet”

Fdriver May 29, 2017

For Multiple Sclerosis: “I was diagnosed with MS at 41 in 1998..I was relieved when my doctor recommended the once a week shot Avonex thinking it would be the easiest. Not so...bad side effects. I went from cane to walker to wheel chair to hospital all in the few years I was on it. Just before I went into the hospital I went on 20 mg seven days a week of copaxone. It gave me my life back. I then went from wheel chair to walker to cane and then nothing in about two years time.. I've now been on it for 17 years with no major relapses. Not a day goes by that I don't feel the effects of MS but nothing compared to what it was before copaxone..”