User Reviews for Tecfidera to treat Multiple Sclerosis

Tecfidera Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 92 medications used in the treatment of Multiple Sclerosis.

Reviews for Tecfidera

jonsygirl · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 30, 2019

"Been on this medicine for two months and it worst than having a baby and tooth ache, the severe stomach cramps , hard time breathing and bowel movements, I asked my doctor to take me off this meds. I've been very sick since taking these meds."

Chuckles · Taken for less than 1 month July 28, 2019

"I started Tecfidera three weeks ago. First week I had transient symptoms but they were tolerable. Beginning my third week, I developed a severe cold with fever, diarrhea and nausea. They said this can happen because of my lowered immunity. I feel sick as a dog and just want to stop this drug."

NOMAM PAM · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 24, 2019

"Say no to this one ! I tried this and the side effects were horrible- very severe hot flashes, burning and itching sensation over my entire body. I stopped it 2and a half years ago and those hot flushes won't go away "

Ldybug · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 23, 2019

"Diagnosed with MS 2015. Tecfidera is my 2nd MS medication, first was copaxone 40mg, no side effects so far except very mild flushing with my first pill. Been on it for 2 months."

Benito · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 15, 2019

"So far so good. Been taking it for more than a year after having more than 15 active lesions when I was with Copaxone. MRI scan last week found 0 new lesions, so I guess I've been doing well on this drug. The only side effect that I've experienced is redness on my skin, however it has only happened less than 5 times since I've been on Tecfidera and it lasts no longer than 2 hours."

Turbo · Taken for less than 1 month July 9, 2019

"Hands down the worst horrifying medication I have ever took!!! Took for 6 days, trial pack thank god was smart enough to stop taking. 1st day trouble swallowing, lips swelled. 2nd day swollen lips , unbalanced, 3rd day all the above plus excruciating neck, head severe pains and redness right cheek. 4,5,6th day massive pain around right eye, right ear, right cheek. All I was told 5 out of 6 days was "it will get better keep taking it" by neurologist and tecfidera!! Was losing vision in right eye in 3 days, that was May 2019 and now it July 2019 still having eye issues, swelling if right check, redness on right cheek. Have been taking benadryl since May . I have also had 2 steroid shots once in ER , 2nd in Drs office pcp. There is more and I am beyond livid. I want to be compensated from May and into the far future. Considering 1 of side effects is lip swelling to be told to keep taking it shame on you!!!!"

Flipper · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 2, 2019

"Dx in 05 , started taking after 80+ Tysabri sessions ; no adverse effects whatsoever !"

Tabpolo · Taken for less than 1 month June 1, 2019

"I was diagnosed 13 years ago with RRMS, started on Rebif which nearly killed me. Crashing blood sugar, 34, passed out at work. Was on Copaxone for 12 years, all going well, until insurance said they would no longer cover. Put on Tecfidera. By week 2 vomited, severe cramping, pounding headaches, thought I was having a stroke. I stopped. My doctor wants me to try again claiming I did not give it long enough to get over the hump of the negative side effects. When the side effects are worse than the disease it treats, I am very cautious. It just doesn’t feel right. I’m speculative as to why my doctor is pushing this drug so hard when it made me feel so bad. Is it time for a new doctor, not just a new drug?"

Plb · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 1, 2019

"I was diagnosed with MS 3 months ago, I am 30 and my doctor put me on Tecfidera as my first MS drug. After 1 month I got VERY stomach sick and vomiting for days. Turns out it was gastroenteritis and they say it is not related to my medication. Probably because I had low defences at that moment (?). Other than that, I have had the usual side effects like flushing, but only when I eat small meals. Will be posting more in the future. Wish you all the best!"

Molly · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 22, 2019

"Been taking Tecfidera for 3 years now. I was very sick in week 3. Vomiting for several days. Got through that. I have a burning flush 3 1/2 hours after taking tablet if not got enough food in my system. Other than that, I think it’s doing its job. I have wondered if my weight gain in the last couple of years might be influenced by it but I’m not sure. No relapses in the MS though despite death in the family and full on chickenpox a couple of years ago. If you’re new to it, persevere."

DB · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 18, 2019

"Eight months in. Flushing sometimes (twice a week) maybe. Went through 3 days of fetal position causing stomach pains. That was about 2 months in. I've been working out 4 times a week, and staying positive. I feel like attitude has a lot to do with triggering symptoms/side effects."

Debbie January 23, 2019

"I started tecfidera 3 years ago. After three month I felt pain in muscles . My dr said this isn’t a side effect. For the past year I have been dealing with so much body ache that I had enough and stopped tecfedera 3 days ago , I will let you guys know if I feel better by time."

Belief · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 2, 2019

"I am taking Tecfidera now for 9 months as my first MS drug. It started well but the last 2 months I experienced a terrible back pain changing location daily. Painkiller help a bit but not an alternative for each day. No new lesions but is this the price to pay? "

Nurse Lauren · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 2, 2018

"This is the 3rd drug I’ve tried for RRMS (Relapsing Remitting Multiple Sclerosis). About 5-6 weeks into taking it, I did start to notice the facial flushing. About 3 hours after taking a dose, my face would turn red, then start burning and itching for about 20min. Also had stomach cramping and nausea. Taking Aspirin 324mg chewed and taking the 1st dose after 9am with a snack helped reduce those symptoms. After taking this drug for 3 months, I suddenly developed severe joint pain and swelling that limited my movement. The pains were there when I woke up and would resolve in one joint and present in another throughout the day. I’ll be leery of these drugs from now on. Background info-I take VitD 50,000iu weekly, B-12 500mcg daily, and Align daily. I am a runner and a nurse."

Adial · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 27, 2018

"Dont take it! Side effects are miserable. Felt like I was better off dead. Over a year I hung in there because my Neuro said give your system time to adjust. Don't listen to them. Gastric issues, flushing for hours. My body is on fire and I'm sick as a dog like you have the flu. Made my body hurt. Take something else. Trust me."

Vglgirll · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 21, 2018

"I was diagnosed 2015 with MS and the first drug was Tecfidera had no side effects until recent after catching the flu. I have taken Tecfidera for 3 years with no side affects. Now I have stomach problems which consist of cramps and nausea. When the doctor told me to stop, I felt like a new person no fatigue or restless. Now I am waiting to see what my new medication is going to be, do not like what I see when it comes to MS drugs with all the side affects."

mimosa · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 4, 2018

"My husband takes this after failing with Avonex and Copaxin for RRMS. Ever since he started he's had headaches, stomach aches, joint pain, and severe fatigue. He's now taking Vitamin D and Wellbutrin. Can't sleep through the night because of pain and can't stay awake because of the fatigue. Can't do much exercise or activities due to the headaches. Only good thing was it stopped the progression of lesions. But what good is that when you don't have quality of life?"

EM August 21, 2018

"Taking Tecfidera as part of a trial for Radiologically Isolated Syndrome in hopes of preventing MS, I have brain lesions, found inadvertently. At intake appointment, 6/18, I felt fit, energetic, healthy and agile. I started Tecfidera then. Here I am in 8/18. I now have weird sensations that migrate daily, like a padded foot, weird feeling toe, tingly pinky and extreme back pain. It changes location daily! This is aside from the extreme fire-face burning, runny nose and watery mouth when the drug hits me, followed by exhaustion for about an hour! I find eating apple sauce helps the "fire face" as well as white wine. Maybe the acidity counter acts the drug? All I know is, I feel awful, not myself, and felt normal before! The dangling carrot is, taking it will apparently prevent MS! I am in a tough spot. What should I do? Docs say I can still be in the study without the pills, with free MRI's, blood tests and a close watch on things."

Ginchygirl · Taken for less than 1 month July 25, 2018

"I just started Tecfidera. Aside from the expected nausea and loose stools, I immediately noticed that my joints hurt in my fingers, knees and ankles. Then I began to experience issues with my balance."

LG23 · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 18, 2018

"I started Tecfidera in May 2016 and in the beginning I had flushing, itching, burning sensation that lasted about 2 weeks. I tolerate the drug well and have had no progression. However one side effect not listed is weight gain... I have gained 35 pounds and cannot lose it. Others have complained of the same thing, hopefully it wills soon be listed as a side effect."

Raymone · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 29, 2018

"Diagnosed with multiple sclerosis 5 years ago. 50 yrs old now Tried avonex and rebiff both were tough. Wiped out after every shot. Dr put me on Tecfidera 1.25 years ago. Stomach pain in beginning-bad too. Take Zantac before every pill 15 min and eating helps too. BIG TIME Now 1.25 years later, no stomach pain and most importantly no new lesions."

Ror · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 16, 2018

"Have been on Tecfidera for 6 weeks now and the joint pain is almost unbearable. I've never had the side effects that were described when reading up. My legs get rigid and are unbendable at times. I can barely walk. I really don't believe the MS diagnosis but thought "maybe" and hoped it would help. Doctor only worried about vitamin D count. What do I do now?"

Kaye · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 23, 2018

"Started 2 months ago on tecfidera after being on shots for 15 years. Nausea and extreme flushing and itching after pill. Seemed to subside somewhat. Having trouble with holding bladder which I never had on shots. Also a light cough every hour on the hour. Anyone else have these side effects?"

geelinda March 3, 2018

"Had a lot of hair lose in the first three months. Then started to have shock sensations of the head and body in the third month. I totally stopped taking at that point."

Doesnt matter · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 21, 2017

"Ok so was given my first drug and my last for now. I had hair loss extreme balance issues, no stomach cramps etc the most common. But after 3 months taking this I got very severe joint pains that moved from one area of my body to another on a daily basis. After I stopped the drug the joint pain continued nearly 3 weeks, then stopped and I threw drugs away. It was confirmed after tests at my drs and hospital it was the drug. I have never experienced pain like it. Not a common side effect but a side effect all the same. Now I' m on no drug I feel normal like my old self. How interesting hardly any negative comments on here? Or there are plenty but not been published!"

Learn more about Multiple Sclerosis

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)