Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jan 31, 2021.
Generic name: dimethyl fumarate 120mg; dimethyl fumarate 240mg
Dosage form: capsules
The starting dose for TECFIDERA is 120 mg twice a day orally. After 7 days, the dose should be increased to the maintenance dose of 240 mg twice a day orally. Temporary dose reductions to 120 mg twice a day may be considered for individuals who do not tolerate the maintenance dose. Within 4 weeks, the recommended dose of 240 mg twice a day should be resumed. Discontinuation of TECFIDERA should be considered for patients unable to tolerate return to the maintenance dose. The incidence of flushing may be reduced by administration of TECFIDERA with food. Alternatively, administration of non-enteric coated aspirin (up to a dose of 325 mg) 30 minutes prior to TECFIDERA dosing may reduce the incidence or severity of flushing [see Clinical Pharmacology (12.3)].
TECFIDERA should be swallowed whole and intact. TECFIDERA should not be crushed or chewed and the capsule contents should not be sprinkled on food. TECFIDERA can be taken with or without food.
Blood Tests Prior to Initiation of Therapy
Obtain a complete blood cell count (CBC) including lymphocyte count before initiation of therapy [see Warnings and Precautions (5.4)].
Obtain serum aminotransferase, alkaline phosphatase, and total bilirubin levels prior to treatment with TECFIDERA [see Warnings and Precautions (5.5)].
Frequently asked questions
- How do Vumerity and Tecfidera compare for multiple sclerosis (MS)?
- Can it cause stomach damage?
- What are the new drugs used for multiple sclerosis (MS)?
- Is Tecfidera an immunosuppressant?
- Can I stop taking Tecfidera? What happens if I do?
- Can you drink alcohol while taking Tecfidera?
- What causes flushing with Tecfidera?
- How long can you take Tecfidera?
- Gilenya vs Tecfidera. How do they compare?
- Does Tecfidera cause weight gain or loss?
- How long does it take Tecfidera to start working?
- Can Tecfidera cause progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy (PML)?
- Can Tecfidera cause low lymphocytes?
More about Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Patient Tips
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 89 Reviews
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: selective immunosuppressants
- FDA Approval History
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.