User Reviews for Dimethyl fumarate

Also known as: Tecfidera

Multiple Sclerosis

Summary of Dimethyl fumarate reviews 7.0 45 reviews

Reviews for Dimethyl fumarate

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "My husband takes this after failing with Avonex and Copaxin for RRMS. Ever since he started he's had headaches, stomach aches, joint pain, and severe fatigue. He's now taking Vitamin D and Wellbutrin. Can't sleep through the night because of pain and can't stay awake because of the fatigue. Can't do much exercise or activities due to the headaches. Only good thing was it stopped the progression of lesions. But what good is that when you don't have quality of life?"

mimosa (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 4, 2018

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "Taking Tecfidera as part of a trial for Radiologically Isolated Syndrome in hopes of preventing MS, I have brain lesions, found inadvertently. At intake appointment, 6/18, I felt fit, energetic, healthy and agile. I started Tecfidera then. Here I am in 8/18. I now have weird sensations that migrate daily, like a padded foot, weird feeling toe, tingly pinky and extreme back pain. It changes location daily! This is aside from the extreme fire-face burning, runny nose and watery mouth when the drug hits me, followed by exhaustion for about an hour! I find eating apple sauce helps the "fire face" as well as white wine. Maybe the acidity counter acts the drug? All I know is, I feel awful, not myself, and felt normal before! The dangling carrot is, taking it will apparently prevent MS! I am in a tough spot. What should I do? Docs say I can still be in the study without the pills, with free MRI's, blood tests and a close watch on things."

EM August 21, 2018

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I just started Tecfidera. Aside from the expected nausea and loose stools, I immediately noticed that my joints hurt in my fingers, knees and ankles. Then I began to experience issues with my balance."

Ginchygirl (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2018

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I started Tecfidera in May 2016 and in the beginning I had flushing, itching, burning sensation that lasted about 2 weeks. I tolerate the drug well and have had no progression. However one side effect not listed is weight gain... I have gained 35 pounds and cannot lose it. Others have complained of the same thing, hopefully it wills soon be listed as a side effect."

LG23 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 18, 2018

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "Diagnosed with multiple sclerosis 5 years ago. 50 yrs old now Tried avonex and rebiff both were tough. Wiped out after every shot. Dr put me on Tecfidera 1.25 years ago. Stomach pain in beginning-bad too. Take Zantac before every pill 15 min and eating helps too. BIG TIME Now 1.25 years later, no stomach pain and most importantly no new lesions."

Raymone (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 29, 2018

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "Have been on Tecfidera for 6 weeks now and the joint pain is almost unbearable. I've never had the side effects that were described when reading up. My legs get rigid and are unbendable at times. I can barely walk. I really don't believe the MS diagnosis but thought "maybe" and hoped it would help. Doctor only worried about vitamin D count. What do I do now?"

Ror (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 16, 2018

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "Started 2 months ago on tecfidera after being on shots for 15 years. Nausea and extreme flushing and itching after pill. Seemed to subside somewhat. Having trouble with holding bladder which I never had on shots. Also a light cough every hour on the hour. Anyone else have these side effects?"

Kaye (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2018

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "Had a lot of hair lose in the first three months. Then started to have shock sensations of the head and body in the third month. I totally stopped taking at that point."

geelinda March 3, 2018

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "Ok so was given my first drug and my last for now. I had hair loss extreme balance issues, no stomach cramps etc the most common. But after 3 months taking this I got very severe joint pains that moved from one area of my body to another on a daily basis. After I stopped the drug the joint pain continued nearly 3 weeks, then stopped and I threw drugs away. It was confirmed after tests at my drs and hospital it was the drug. I have never experienced pain like it. Not a common side effect but a side effect all the same. Now I' m on no drug I feel normal like my old self. How interesting hardly any negative comments on here? Or there are plenty but not been published!"

Doesnt matter (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 21, 2017

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I was diagnosed with Relapsing-remitting Multiple sclerosis (RRMS) in August 2017. This is the only one I tried and started taking about 2 months ago. Only have minor side effects that is itching what comes and goes which told that is a side effect. I take it with food so it doesn't upset my stomach. So far don't have any problems."

tigers74 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 24, 2017

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "Today is first day I've taken it. 2hr after I took I was woken up by feeling like I was on fire and itching. I look like I have sunburn and itch and very hot! This is only 1st pill. Feel concerned so I checked side effects and sure enough this is one of them."

Multiple sclerosis (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2017

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I was diagnosed in 8/13 was originally on Fingolimod with no relapses or new lesions until my bloods (liver enzyme) went out of whack. Have been on Tecfidera for 8 months and am experiencing horrible itching that has led to sleepless nights and broken skin. Extremely frustrating to say the least."

Coops 63 August 3, 2017

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "Diagnosis with MS in 2010....initially started on with Avanox. Hated giving myself injection and the pen activated injection was absolutely stupid for my fear. After having three strokes aided in the complications...then started on Tecfidera. As I told the neurologist, everything above the shoulders has gotten better and everything below the shoulder has gotten worst. Interesting is I was diagnosis with blood clotting disorder as well. Took Lovenox for this at first and no MS medication. I'll actually did better."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 23, 2017

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "So far so good minor side effects that are tolerable.. A little itching some flashing but not bad at all compared to side effects of avonex which I lasted 3 months on."

Anonymous May 20, 2017

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "The only thing I am worried about is Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy (PML). I hope it will never come to me. "

Mina84 March 27, 2017

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I was diagnosed with MS about 3 months ago. My MS is mild so I could try weaker drugs which are usually injections (every other day). But I hate needles so my doctor prescribed tecfidera for me. It has been really good for me so far with almost no side effects. "

Mina62 March 9, 2017

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "This chemical nearly killed me ! Question : is this drug in the same category as the biologics ? If so, then I am not surprised. Like Humira, Xeljanz, Opdivo, Methotrexate, et al; I can "see the writing on the wall", in a manner of speaking. I hope not two see an entirely new year of people who are injured by an entire nation of people too impatient with the same period of time it'll take for the 15 to 20 years of strict FDA latitudinal / longitudinal double - blind studies necessary to ensure ALL SIDE EFFECTS ARE ABLE TO BE AS MINIMIZED AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE. For me, with my history of strict regimentation of timing my own medications, I came within 96 hours of loss of life due to a 3- organ-system failure. These things are like rat poison !"

marinemouse1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 1, 2017

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I was diagnosed with MS in June 2014; and was prescribed Tecfidera. I was fine on the initial 120mg dose, but once I had to take the 240mg dose, I started having severe GI issues...vomiting, diarrhea, cramping...similar to food poisoning. I couldn't even keep water down. I stopped taking the Tecfidera for two months until my body got back to normal; then had my neurologist prescribe me one month of the 120 mg capsules before increasing to the 240mg dose; and started taking Singulair with my morning dose. It is also essential that I eat a substantial meal with fat and starch before taking the Tecfidera. I've not had any new lesions since. For me, its a great med as long as I can manage the GI side effects."

Janette75 September 26, 2016

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I was diagnosed with rrms in May this year. Tecfidera was the first medication I have tried. I felt good for about three days in the first week on the 120mg dose, apart from some flushing and burning skin. I haven't felt that clear headed for such a long time. Then, two weeks into the full dose I developed such severe cramping in my stomach with vomiting and diarrhea that I was too scared to take another dose. I will try something else instead. I really really want to have clear thoughts and energy!"

Pippy9 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2016

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "MS diagnosed own 1996; Used Avonex, had bad reaction; still have MS exacerbations, involuntary movements of my arms & legs, and flu; switched to Rebif in 1998, now flu there e tomes a week, and still had involuntary movements of my arms & legs. Used until 2013, we my neurologist suggested Tecfidera which I still l use with zero side effects ever. None at all. Now I bene walk about 6 miles, every other day, and I am 62 years ols."

Talsa August 10, 2016

For Multiple Sclerosis: "I have taken Tecfidera for about 2 years. I have had anemia a few times but nothing serious. I have had hair loss since I took the pill. I am taking the twice a day 240mg version of the pill. My doctor has not seen any more bigger lesions. The ones that I have are still there so they have not gone away. I took Gilenya for a year and did not tolerate it. I was like a robot. I would go the whole day without remembering what I had done. It also make my heart beat fast. My heart beats fast on Tecfidera sometimes and I have only had one panic attack. It was an adjustment to get on the Tecfidera but I think it helps. It is definitely not the cure. I have had less attacks but I am not working so I am not sure if it is the medicine."

SunnyPark July 10, 2016

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I have taken Rebif (hated injections), Tysabri (loved) and Tecfidera. I lasted 6 months on the drug after experiencing the flushing and feeling blah every day and 10 lbs weight loss which I can't handle. I was pulled off this past March after having a low White Blood Cell count."

Alexsmomma May 14, 2016

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "Been on Tecfidera for one week now, staring with a 120 mg dose in the evening. I take the drug after dinner. Before dinner (~15 min) I take 100 mg acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin). No important symptom yet. Just some lite flushing during the first three days (in the 7th day, no flushing, no gastro-intestinal problems). Indeed, after the very first dose, when I didn't take the aspirin I experienced mild flushing doubled by "sun burn"-like sensation over the scalp, face and neck that gone after ~30 min. This first experience begun after ~5h from drug administration (delay caused most probably by the food intake)."

AlexCon (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2016

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I have been diagnosed since 5/13. I have been on tecfidEra al.osteoporosis the whole time. I have had no growth in my lesions and no new lesions at all. I was recently taken off my meds to see if I have any relapses and where my disease is....I feel like this is a wonderful medication. Also they had a program to make the meds reasonable or free if needed. Would definitely refer this medication. My cousin used to have to go get 5 hour treatments for her MS. grateful this kind of med is out there."

Brittney14! (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 24, 2016

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I took Avonex for 18 years and was recently prescribed Tecfidera. I have only been on it for three months. I was so happy to not have to inject, but swallowing these pills twice a day takes getting use to. The two side effects I seem to have is being exhausted all the time and my depression seems to be a little worse."

Pug Lady (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2016