User Reviews for Dimethyl fumarate

Also known as: Tecfidera

Multiple Sclerosis   6.3

Reviews for Dimethyl fumarate

CM · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 4, 2021

For Multiple Sclerosis: “Have been taking this for about 6 years. Have had no side effects and NO relapses. Wish this had been available when I was diagnosed 27 years ago.”

SM · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 2, 2021

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: “Been on Tecfidera for 7+ years. When I first started it the ramp up from 140 mg to 240 mg was too fast. Got really sick. So I told my Dr. I wanted to taper it. I took 140 mg 2x day for a month+, then moved to 140 mg in AM and 240 mg in PM for 2+ months then I finally got up to full dose in about 4 months. Seemed to work. No new lesions and minor flushing. BUT after only 12 months on it my lymphocytes dropped from my normal 2.0 to as low as 0.4. They have hovered around 0.5 - 0.8 for years now. The Dr. and Biogen keeps say as long as they don't go below 0.5 for 3 months its fine. I have always been worried about PML and now COVID. In recent 12 months have been considering going off it. However I have heard even if you do they do not come back to normal? I know most MS drugs will lower your WBC.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 30, 2021

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: “Have had MS for over 15 years. Started with betaseron..which was like having the flu for 8 years straight. Switched to Tysabri, which I loved. I had no side effects, but sadly got JC virus so switched to Tecfidera. Been on it for 3 months and I have to quit. The constant itching and joint pain is bad, but the burning and sharp stomach and intestinal pain is too much on top of the nausea and vomiting. I don't know what I'll be on next but it can't be worse.”

PeterO · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 15, 2021

For Multiple Sclerosis: “The only noticeable side effect was occasional flushing that went away after a few minutes. I had to stop taking this as my Lymph count dropped below 500. Waiting for my levels to return before trying something else.”

Fed up · Taken for less than 1 month December 31, 2020

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: “Dx in 2014. Started on copaxone but taken off 6 months after because it failed. Started on rebif. Was on rebif for 5 years. Flu like side effects initially but then nothing. For 5 years I was great. Didn't mind the injections at all. Was changed to tecfidera this year because of one new lesion. First week of low dosing was fine. I'm on the first week of the full dose and I'm ready to quit. AWFUL STOMACH PAINS, BLOATING, NAUSEA, DIARRHEA, FLUSHING. The treatment is worse than the disease. It's embarrassing that in this century, there isn't a decent drug for MS. And the docs don't care. They prescribe from behind the desk. Will look for naturopath for help. Nature has a cure for everything. And we all know there will never be a cure for any disease, including MS, because there is no money in cures!! I wish you all a health new year 2021!”

SG · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 21, 2020

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: “I was diagnosed in June with MS and started my Tecfidera medication in September. It has been two months and I have not had a single side effect or relapse. Only time will tell in terms of progress when I have my first MRI since starting on medication to see if there are any new active lesions. Since being diagnosed, I changed my diet by no longer having any Dairy or Gluten. I believe this diet change has helped me and helped not having any side effects once I started my medication.”

Sasvbl October 20, 2020

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: “Love this! Minimum of side effects, hope this will work for years!”

Jan · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 31, 2020

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: “Taking this drug for 8 months and since the first day my MS has become steadily worse. Do I continue to take it? So confused”

Filly42 · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 14, 2020

For Multiple Sclerosis: “I was on dimethyl fumarate for a little over a year and had nothing but issues. GI issues made it nearly impossible to eat and I was put on a steroid that I had a different reaction to. Flushing was a major issue and 1 baby aspirin was not helping so I had to take 2 every dose...4 a day. My blood was so thin that if I do much as gripped a pen too hard, I got a bruise. Sitting in class and lightly bump my knee on table? Bruise. Go swimming with my dog and her paw catches my leg? Bruised. I had so many bruises that people asked if I was being abused at home. I was miserable. Then, to make matters worse my neurologist didn’t even remember prescribing this drug to me. He only uses it for patients who also have psoriasis. Go figure. Thank goodness I didn’t pay for it because of copay assistance.”

BearMog July 24, 2020

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: “I’ve been on Tecfidera since October 2016. MS diagnosed 2006. Been on Copaxone, Rebif, Gilenya, Tysabri. I’m now Secondary Progressive MS (not even 50yo yet). For first year on Tecfidera my side effects that I had were severe flushing, rash, and itching which lasted about 2 hours after each dose. I was told by neurologist to chew half to full baby aspirin with each dose to help with the Tecfidera side effects and it worked - NO MORE FLUSHING or ITCHING. For the past two years I’ve been able to reduce the amount of aspirin to about a 1/4 baby aspirin per dose. Sometimes I can go without it for a day or two. But the chewable baby aspirin (84mg) works like magic to take away the severe flushing, rash, and itching. Also, I’ve only had one exacerbation since being on Tecfidera and it was mild. Such a huge relief because I had exacerbations every 12-18 months previously. I’m not switching off this as long it keeps working. Especially during this pandemic! No way I’m going in for infusions.”

KJ · Taken for less than 1 month June 16, 2020

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: “I was diagnosed with MS in February 2018. I started taking Copaxone but after the first year, an MRI showed a new lesion so I stopped. I did not enjoy injections three times a week, but I had very few side effects. I stayed off of medication for about a year and again had one new lesion. I started Tecfidera three weeks ago today. Day two of the starter dose had mild GI troubles. Then day four got a little worse but not horrible. I started the full dose and had slightly worse GI symptoms. Sadly day six on the full dose I was bad. I have terrible diarrhea and stomach cramps. Now my heart rate is elevated, I have a low grade fever, and I’m on day three of very bad GI symptoms. I’m trying to stay hydrated and am hoping this will be short lived.”

Carpy · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 1, 2020

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: “Been on Tecfidera since 2017 for MS have found out recently that my white blood cells count are low which has placed me on the at risk list, but on the good side my MRI scan results show that they are working, down side still continue to get bad flushing”

Donny Juan · Taken for less than 1 month May 31, 2020

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: “I started taking Tecfidera about 3 weeks ago. I started on the lower dose of 120 mg twice a day for 7 days. I experienced pretty bad flushing the first day, but it didn’t really bother me. I compared it to using tingle tanning lotion. I also had bloating, but again nothing too bad. After 7 days I started taking 240 mg twice a day. I felt okay for the first few days. The bloating got a little worse, and I did have stomach pains 1 night, but I thought maybe I ate something bad. Fast forward to a week later, and I begin having severe stomach pains/ cramping and bloating. It started early Friday morning (woke me up), and is continuing. Nothing helps the pain. Not Kaopectate, GasX, Tums, extra strength Tylenol, nothing. I’ve barely slept at all this weekend because the pain is so bad. I decided to not take any more of the medicine until I speak with my doctor. I read the side effects will subside, and I really tried to tough it out, but I can’t handle the pain anymore.”

Norse · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 12, 2020

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: “After 4 months on this I dropped it. I experienced brain fog, heavy headedness and tiredness right after taking always. Occasionally, it would leave me with a bad headache, again right after taking. Followed by an annoying flushing and runny nose throughout the day. It was interrupting my life, and as soon as I stopped, these symptoms stopped too.”

buddy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 5, 2020

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: “certainly not the most comfortable medication in terms of sideffects;joint ligaments discomfort, hip , evil ”

Mason · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 26, 2020

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: “I have been on Tecfidera for 5 years. The only side effect I ever have is flushing. I always take the pill with a full meal. The flushing normally comes on if I eat lunch. Maybe eating once the pill is fully in your stomach reacts with the lunch, I'm not sure. Over all, even the flushing is normally minor and goes away after 10 mins. I have had no flare ups in the five years I've been on the med that I know of.”

Nikki · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 9, 2020

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: “I was diagnosed Sept 2018 with MS and started tecfidera. I was symptom free for a year but doc says got few more lesions so they want to change to gilenya I'm scared.”

Karen · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 16, 2019

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: “I've been on Tecfidera for 8 months. Been having stomach issues, thought it was my pancreas which I do have a cyst on. The pain after taking this medication is terrible!!! The flushing is getting worse not better!! Now because of aspirin and the meds, I am having severe gastrointestinal issues!! I would rather deal with the side effects of of Injections, much easier to deal with!! Seeing my doctor in 2 weeks and am going off of it!!”

NoElle November 11, 2019

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: “I have been on Tecfidera since it was approved in 2013. It has been a god-send as it kept all the lesions away for 6 years (with little to no side-effects), but now I find myself having to search for another medication as I have had 2 lesions just this year. My old Neuro had been pushing Tysabri, so I went searching for another Neuro ( also found my old Neuro on Dollars for Docs, she made $180,000 from big Pharma last year!! and that did not include her normal doctor salary) Now my new Neuro is looking to get me on Tysabri as well, but I am having lots of concerns on the side-effects and the black-box label. (plus reading the reviews..) I starting in 2010 with Copaxone (9 months) and probably would have stayed on it but it almost sent me to the emergency room (twice). Switched to AVONEX (2 years) but the side-effects of flu left me out of commission for 2~3 days after. Switched to Tecfidera when it came available. Now it looks like I will have to make another switch.”

Cat · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 7, 2019

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: “I was taking Tecfidera for about 2 years. I regularly had my white blood cells checked. They dropped below 1 and dr took me off and no medication until white count comes up. After two years my white count has not improved. Still no MS medication, luckily no new flare-ups of my MS. If you take this medication, please keep a check on white blood cells.”

Unfair · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 5, 2019

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: “Its really sad that a medication that is needed for somebody suffering with MS costs so much. My mom can't afford it and there are no grant's available. Sad that she will now suffer because pharmaceutical companies are greedy.”

DEE November 3, 2019

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: “I was diagnosed in March of 2019 with MS and put on Tecfidera in August. The pain from the burning for hours is terrible. It's NOT a flushing feeling. It's burning. My scalp, chest , armband, back area. Told my Neurologist and he said stay on it a while longer to get adjusted to it. But the burning feeling won't let you. Something is wrong with those ingredients. No medication should add to your problems that bad. Praying for another medication for all MS patients to get some relief.”

BrilliantApex · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 31, 2019

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: “I was told I had MS in 2004. Doctor started me out with taking Avonex weekly. I hated injecting myself and the flu like feeling after taking it. That was 8 years. Doctor suggested Tefidera so I decided to try it. I have found that taking it with food helps the flushing and itching. Also it helps to take the medicine at the same time each day. Missing a dose will usually cause the flushing and itching to return. Also find that taking without food causes stomach issues. MRI results show that it is indeed working with no new signs of MS showing.”

Newly diagnosed · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 27, 2019

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: “Flushing and itching on first day. Taking baby aspirin and 24hr non drowsy Claritin. No more side effects. Always take at the end of meal.”

Rusty · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 23, 2019

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: “Have been taking DMF (dimethyl fumarate) for MS for the past four years and since taken MRI has shown no increase in lesions. Only side effect has been occasional flushing which can be itchy, uncomfortable and embarrassing. Flushing typically only lasts about 20 min.”