User Reviews for Dimethyl fumarate

Also known as: Tecfidera

Learn more about Dimethyl fumarate.

Multiple Sclerosis 28 reviews 87 medications

7.8
Summary of Dimethyl fumarate reviews 28 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Dimethyl fumarate

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I was diagnosed with MS in June 2014; and was prescribed Tecfidera. I was fine on the initial 120mg dose, but once I had to take the 240mg dose, I started having severe GI issues...vomiting, diarrhea, cramping...similar to food poisoning. I couldn't even keep water down. I stopped taking the Tecfidera for two months until my body got back to normal; then had my neurologist prescribe me one month of the 120 mg capsules before increasing to the 240mg dose; and started taking Singulair with my morning dose. It is also essential that I eat a substantial meal with fat and starch before taking the Tecfidera. I've not had any new lesions since. For me, its a great med as long as I can manage the GI side effects."

Janette75 September 26, 2016

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I was diagnosed with rrms in May this year. Tecfidera was the first medication I have tried. I felt good for about three days in the first week on the 120mg dose, apart from some flushing and burning skin. I haven't felt that clear headed for such a long time. Then, two weeks into the full dose I developed such severe cramping in my stomach with vomiting and diarrhea that I was too scared to take another dose. I will try something else instead. I really really want to have clear thoughts and energy!"

Pippy9 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2016

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "MS diagnosed own 1996; Used Avonex, had bad reaction; still have MS exacerbations, involuntary movements of my arms & legs, and flu; switched to Rebif in 1998, now flu there e tomes a week, and still had involuntary movements of my arms & legs. Used until 2013, we my neurologist suggested Tecfidera which I still l use with zero side effects ever. None at all. Now I bene walk about 6 miles, every other day, and I am 62 years ols."

Talsa August 10, 2016

For Multiple Sclerosis: "I have taken Tecfidera for about 2 years. I have had anemia a few times but nothing serious. I have had hair loss since I took the pill. I am taking the twice a day 240mg version of the pill. My doctor has not seen any more bigger lesions. The ones that I have are still there so they have not gone away. I took Gilenya for a year and did not tolerate it. I was like a robot. I would go the whole day without remembering what I had done. It also make my heart beat fast. My heart beats fast on Tecfidera sometimes and I have only had one panic attack. It was an adjustment to get on the Tecfidera but I think it helps. It is definitely not the cure. I have had less attacks but I am not working so I am not sure if it is the medicine."

SunnyPark July 10, 2016

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I have taken Rebif (hated injections), Tysabri (loved) and Tecfidera. I lasted 6 months on the drug after experiencing the flushing and feeling blah every day and 10 lbs weight loss which I can't handle. I was pulled off this past March after having a low White Blood Cell count."

Alexsmomma May 14, 2016

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "Been on Tecfidera for one week now, staring with a 120 mg dose in the evening. I take the drug after dinner. Before dinner (~15 min) I take 100 mg acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin). No important symptom yet. Just some lite flushing during the first three days (in the 7th day, no flushing, no gastro-intestinal problems). Indeed, after the very first dose, when I didn't take the aspirin I experienced mild flushing doubled by "sun burn"-like sensation over the scalp, face and neck that gone after ~30 min. This first experience begun after ~5h from drug administration (delay caused most probably by the food intake)."

AlexCon (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2016

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I have been diagnosed since 5/13. I have been on tecfidEra al.osteoporosis the whole time. I have had no growth in my lesions and no new lesions at all. I was recently taken off my meds to see if I have any relapses and where my disease is....I feel like this is a wonderful medication. Also they had a program to make the meds reasonable or free if needed. Would definitely refer this medication. My cousin used to have to go get 5 hour treatments for her MS. grateful this kind of med is out there."

Brittney14! (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 24, 2016

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I took Avonex for 18 years and was recently prescribed Tecfidera. I have only been on it for three months. I was so happy to not have to inject, but swallowing these pills twice a day takes getting use to. The two side effects I seem to have is being exhausted all the time and my depression seems to be a little worse."

Pug Lady (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2016

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I was diagnosed in September 2012, Started on compaxone with relapses and cognative issues. After about 6mths I started Tecfidera. I initially had the flushing which went away after about 6mths. Some hair loss but I have thick hair. No new lesions or relapses since I started tec! It was a miracle drug for me! No issues or problems since."

Amanda Irene (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 19, 2016

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "Been taking Tecfidera 2 years plus. Took Tysabri 2 years prior to that. Tysabri left me wiped the day of transfusion and tired for a week. JVC antibodies detected so switched to Tecfidera. Flushing and stomach pains in the first two months were fierce but stomach pains settled. Manageable diahrea. Still flush with burning skin sensation on face, chest, arms starts 4 to 5 hrs after dose and lasts 15 to 30 minutes. On a good note, have not had noted change in MRIs sense taking the drug. Optical neuritis in 2013 permanently damaged vision but the loss has stabilized. Doctors are monitoring my white blood cells to lower risk of PML occurrence. Recommend considering the drug for relapsing MS after you weigh cost benefits in your case."

-RED- April 12, 2016

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I had been on it for two years. My insurance didn't cover it, the company provided it for me free (thankful) until recently when my dh got a raise (also thankful). The first year was really good, some flushing but tolerable. However, in the past year, it seemed to stop working and I wasn't feeling any better - I know that is vague. But, I began falling for the first time, fatigue really returned. At this same time, I developed a rather large rash and unbearable itching centered around my neck and back of head, around ears. The company nurse said this would be a 'serious side-effect' so while I dread doing any needles, the itching is unbearable, the drug too expensive w/o insurance, so I've stopped taking it."

RMW11 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 25, 2016

For Multiple Sclerosis: "DMF is already for longer than 35 years used for treating psoriasis in Germany. It is an excellent medication, if you use it right. In its basic for it is extremely cheap. The warnings for the brain disease are correct and caused by low lymphocytes, but this situation is easy to circumvent. The protocol that is prescribed by the producer is far too quick. You should do a much slower build up of the medication. During the build up there should be a very regular check on the lymphocytes and also when you are "leveled" you should have your lymph's checked regularly until you are sure that you are stable. Furthermore take the medication intermittently, 5 days meds vs 2 day no meds, is far more effective "

Fritssie February 15, 2016

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I have been taking Tecfidera for approximately one year and have had no flushing but it seemed to have taken fix months to begin its anti-inflammatory effect."

Lucky Mendez (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 6, 2016

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I'm only new to this condition and the medication five weeks I have felt so sick with stomach pains but my doctor gave me gastritis tablets which have helped a lot not sure when the best time to take my medication is. Could I make the itchy redness go away or does it matter????"

Neado January 26, 2016

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I get flushing Every time I take this medicine. I was diagnosed March 2013 and this is the only thing I have been on. I SUCK at taking the pills and on the weekend I almost ALWAYS forget my morning dose, I pay for it every Monday with increased Flushing and incredible itching. I have not been on an injectable yet and this medication has the best statistics, minus the new PML concept which was NOT a thing when I started taking it. But once every two weeks HAS to be better than twice a day. But for now I will stick to it because I have not had a full relapse since I was diagnosed."

Shell Lynne (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 13, 2016

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "Darn, this didn't work for me. Been taking T for a month and the stomach pains and nausea are debilitating. There was no amount of OTC gastrointestinal aid that could help me. I was literally an acid bomb walking. I had blisters in my mouth and lips and was continuously in abdominal pain. Look forward to trying another pill."

Wiser (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 25, 2015

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "PML (Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy) side affect? My mother almost died from PML. After contracting the virus, she then contracted IRIS. She was on a feeding tube and had a week to live. It's a miracle she is still with us. She's still alive, but this 56 year old woman has spent the last three years relearning how to do basic life skills. She can barely walk or talk. She needs constant one on one care. There needs to be a better option for people with MS."

Anonymous October 24, 2015

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "This medication is truly amazing. I have been taking Tecfidera for over two years and have had no new flare ups, only mild symptoms of MS (tingling, slight numbness). Taking a pill is much better than injections that cause flu like symptoms. The only side effects I've experienced are flushing (which stopped for me after about a week, but comes back if I miss a dose) and occasional diarrhea, which is...inconvenient but manageable. I highly recommend to anyone with RRMS. Though expensive, but there are assistance programs . "

smcclure88 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 25, 2015

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I have been on Tecfidera since Sept 2014 and it has made a big difference to me. Firstly, no injections, which I hated and it has helped control my symptoms better, as well as having the positive benefit of sorting out my eczema. Side effects - intermittent flushing and increased need to use the toilet/washroom. I am fortunate and very grateful that the drug is prescribed for me by NHS Scotland."

juli Tarwathie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 29, 2015

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "Drug seems to work well. I had the flushing bouts in the first month lasted all of 10 minutes This is the only drug I have been on since being diagnose in 11/14."

Thomasp July 24, 2015

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "Been on T. since May 2013. Was allergic to Copaxone so was on Rebif for years. Pill is so much better. Side effects of flushing, burning last only 10-15 minutes during the first month or two of starting the pill. Cold wash cloth and relaxing helps during the flushing. Working so well...no new lesions. I drink a lot of water and eat protein when I take the pill. Highly recommend trying!"

Reltub July 20, 2015

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I live in northern ireland i have been on tecfidera since 2014 first 2 months hot flushes itchness fine since then 1 of the best slow down tablet or injection every i hate needles super tablet wud recomend thank god i live in the uk as these tabs are FREE i just cudnt afford them "

Northern ireland July 8, 2015

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "This drug made me so sick with flu symptoms that my doctor agreed to stop it after only three weeks. My MS symptoms became debilitating and improved soon after stopping the medication."

Sandramast (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2015

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I've been off and on this medicine since 4/2013 (not because of side effects, but because I had two babies). This is the only medicine that has effectively helped with my MS. I have had two MRI's and I have no new or enhancing lesions. The existing ones I did have, have healed. I had the side effects for the first month but eating a fatty meal and taking an aspirin decreases them. I have no side effects now and I've been back on since 10/14. Just make sure you get your white blood cell count tested every 3 months"

Sfl (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 22, 2015

Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for Multiple Sclerosis: "No relapses. Extreme hair loss. Annoying flushing side effect BUT it working."

Lmarien February 17, 2015