How long does it take Tecfidera to start working?
Tecfidera starts to work within 24 weeks; however, it may take up to two years for the full effects to be seen.
Studies report that after 2 years, people taking Tecfidera were:
- 44% to 53% less likely to relapse every year when taking Tecfidera compared with those taking placebo
- 21% to 28% less likely to have a progression of their disability while taking Tecfidera compared to those assigned to placebo
- 74% to 90% less likely to develop new or newly enlarging T2 lesions or have Gd lesions.
It took 24 weeks for a difference to be noted between Tecfidera 240mg twice daily and placebo for the time to 12 week confirmed progression of disability; 6% of people taking Tecfidera had a confirmed progression of disability vs 8% taking placebo after 24 weeks. After 2 years 16.4% taking Tecfidera had disability progression compared with 27.1% assigned to placebo which corresponded to a risk reduction of 38%. Another study reported a 21% risk reduction in disability progression.
Disability progression was defined as at least a 1 point increase on the EDSS (Expanded Disability Status Scale) from the baseline EDSS of >1, or a 1.5 increase on the EDSS from a baseline EDSS of 0 which was confirmed for at least 12 weeks.
- Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) 02/2020 Biogen Inc. https://www.drugs.com/pro/tecfidera.html
- How quickly does DMF (Tecfidera) work Jan 11, 2015, MS Research https://multiple-sclerosis-research.org/2015/01/clinicspeak-how-quickly-does-dmf-tecfidera-work/#:~:text=%E2%80%9CHow%20quickly%20a%20DMT%20works,it%20working%20within%2024%20weeks?
Related medical questions
- How do Vumerity and Tecfidera compare for multiple sclerosis (MS)?
- Can Tecfidera cause stomach damage?
- What are the new drugs used for multiple sclerosis (MS)?
- Is Tecfidera an immunosuppressant?
- Can I stop taking Tecfidera? What happens if I do?
- Can you drink alcohol while taking Tecfidera?
- What causes flushing with Tecfidera?
- Gilenya vs Tecfidera. How do they compare?
- How long can you take Tecfidera?
- Does Tecfidera cause weight gain or loss?
- Can Tecfidera cause progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy (PML)?
- Can Tecfidera cause low lymphocytes?