How quickly does Mavenclad work?
Studies evaluating the use of Mavenclad (generic name: cladribine) for multiple sclerosis (MS) found a reduction in MS relapses (flare-ups) over about a two year period. A relapse is a period of time when MS symptoms get worse.
- Over 96 weeks, 81% of patients who took Mavenclad were relapse-free compared to 63% of those who took a placebo.
- Mavenclad also decreased 3-month progression of disability (worsening) due to MS when compared to a placebo.
- It also significantly reduced the median number of MRI lesions when compared to a placebo at 96 weeks.
In the clinical trial program of Mavenclad in MS, the mean time in the study (including follow-up) was almost 5 years, and roughly one-quarter of patients who received treatment had 8 years of time in the study, including follow-up.
Mavenclad works over the long-term, but for most patients, the active ingredient in Mavenclad does not remain in the body beyond one week after administration. However, long-term safety concerns exist with Mavenclad, and you should discuss these with your doctor before starting treatment.
This is not all the information you need to know about Mavenclad (generic name: cladribine) for safe and effective use. Review the full Mavenclad information here, and discuss this information with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Mavenclad (cladribine). Product Label. EMD Serono, Inc. Rockland, MA. April 2019. Accessed August 12, 2020 at https://www.emdserono.com/us-en/pi/mavenclad-pi.pdf
- EMD Serono. Mavenclad website. Accessed August 12, 2020 at https://www.mavenclad.com
- Dosing Guide. Mavenclad (cladribine) Tablets. EMD Serono. April 2019. Accessed August 12, 2020 at https://www.mavenclad.com/content/dam/web/healthcare/neurology/united-states/pdfs/MAVENCLAD_Dosing_Guide_4.29.pdf
Related medical questions
- How effective is Mavenclad for MS?
- Does Mavenclad have a Black Box Warning?
- How is Mavenclad given/administered?
- What are the new drugs used for multiple sclerosis (MS)?
- Is Mavenclad a chemotherapy drug?
- Does Mavenclad cause weight gain?
- Does Mavenclad cause hair loss?