How is Mavenclad given/administered?
- Mavenclad is usually given as oral tablets in two treatment courses. You take the medicine for up to 10 days in each of year one and year two. It is taken with water.
- Even if it feels like your MS is under control, you still need to complete the yearly treatment schedules for both year one and year two.
- The medication is dosed based on your weight. The number of tablets you'll take also depend on your weight. Mavenclad can be taken with or without food.
- Mavenclad is a cytotoxic drug. Your hands must be dry when handling the tablets and washed thoroughly afterwards. You should avoid prolonged contact of the tablet with your skin.
- You should separate the time you take Mavenclad and any other oral drugs by at least 3 hours during the 4 to 5 day treatment cycles.
After the second treatment in year two, you will not take another course of Mavenclad for at least 2 years due to an increased risk for cancer. The manufacturer states that they do not know if Mavenclad can be restarted safely after the 2-year break.
- Mavenclad (cladribine). Product Label. EMD Serono, Inc. Rockland, MA. April 2019. Accessed August 12, 2020 at https://www.emdserono.com/us-en/pi/mavenclad-pi.pdf
- EMD Serono. Mavenclad website. Accessed August 12, 2020 at https://www.mavenclad.com
- Dosing Guide. Mavenclad (cladribine) Tablets. EMD Serono. April 2019. Accessed August 12, 2020 at https://www.mavenclad.com/content/dam/web/healthcare/neurology/united-states/pdfs/MAVENCLAD_Dosing_Guide_4.29.pdf
Related medical questions
- How effective is Mavenclad for MS?
- Does Mavenclad have a Black Box Warning?
- How quickly does Mavenclad work?
- Is Mavenclad a chemotherapy drug?
- Does Mavenclad cause hair loss?
- Does Mavenclad cause weight gain?
- What are the new drugs used for multiple sclerosis (MS)?
- Mavenclad Information for Consumers
- Mavenclad prescribing info & package insert (for Health Professionals)
- Side Effects of Mavenclad (detailed)
Related support groups
- Mavenclad (8 questions, 3 members)