Is there a generic for Gleevec?
- Yes, there is a generic version of Gleevec known as imatinib mesylate. Imatinib comes in a 100-mg and 400-mg oral tablet.
- Generic imatinib was approved in the U.S. in Dec. 2015 and was first manufactured by Sun Pharmaceuticals. Today, there are multiple manufacturers that produce the generic version of Gleevec.
- Imatinib is a prescription medicine used to treat various leukemias (blood cancers) and other related diseases.
How much does imatinib cost?
The cash price for a 30-day supply of 400 mg tablets using a freely available online coupon is around $102.00. Imatinib is also available as a 100 mg tablet that costs $218.59 for 30 tablets. Prices for imatinib will vary based on where you live and which pharmacy you visit. Coupon prices are for those paying cash and are not valid with insurance plans.
This imatinib price is based on using the Drugs.com discount card which is accepted at most U.S. pharmacies.
Check with your prescription insurance company to determine if imatinib is covered under your plan. Generic medications are usually preferred by insurance companies if they are available.
Novartis, the manufacturer of Gleevec, can offer cost assistance through copay coupons and patient assistance programs for the brand name drug, if you qualify. Eligibility requirements vary for each program. For more information contact Novartis at 877-577-7756.
What does imatinib treat?
Imatinib (Gleevec) is used to treat certain types of leukemia (blood cancer), bone marrow disorders, skin cancers and certain tumors of the stomach and digestive system, such as:
- chronic myeloid (myelogenous) leukemia
- acute lymphoblastic leukemia
- myelodysplastic / myeloproliferative diseases
- dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans
- gastrointestinal stromal tumors (GIST)
This is not all the information you need to know about imatinib (Gleevec) for safe and effective use and does not take the place of talking to your doctor about your treatment. Review the full imatinib (Gleevec) information here, and discuss this information and any questions you have with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Drugs@FDA. Imatinib. US Food and Drug Administration. Accessed Feb. 21, 2021 at https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cder/daf/
- DailyMed. US National Library of Medicine. NIH. Accessed Feb. 21, 2021 at https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/search.cfm?labeltype=all&query=imatinib&audience=consumer
- Gleevec (imatinib). Patient information online. Accessed Feb. 21, 2021 at https://www.us.gleevec.com/
Related Medical Questions
- Gleevec vs Sprycel vs Tasigna - how do they compare?
- What to avoid when taking Gleevec?
- How does Gleevec (imatinib) work?
- Can I take Gleevec while pregnant?
- How does Besponsa work to treat Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL)?
Related Support Groups
- Gleevec (6 questions, 78 members)
- Imatinib (4 questions, 14 members)
- Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (19 questions, 14 members)
- Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML) (14 questions, 106 members)
- Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor (8 questions, 20 members)
- Systemic Mastocytosis (6 questions, 7 members)
- Myeloproliferative Disorders (6 questions, 12 members)
- Hypereosinophilic Syndrome (6 questions, 11 members)
- Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans (5 questions, 6 members)
- Myelodysplastic Diseases (5 questions, 5 members)
- Chronic Eosinophilic Leukemia (4 questions, 8 members)