How much does Blincyto (blinatumomab) cost?
- This cash price can vary based upon your insurance, your clinic cost, and any administration fees for the injection and clinic or hospital use.
- The overall cost for your therapy will also depend upon the length of treatment.
- Most people do not pay out-of-pocket for the full price of Blincyto.
When Blincyto was first approved by the FDA, Amgen announced that the price for the drug at that time would be $178,000 per year.
This drug is usually given by a health care provider in a clinic or hospital and is not found in a traditional pharmacy. The cost for this medicine may be covered by your insurance but you may have a deductible, copay or coinsurance.
This Blincyto price is based on using the Drugs.com discount card.
Can I get help paying for Blincyto?
Blincyto is manufactured by Amgen, who may be able to provide financial assistance to help cover some or all of the cost of Blincyto. Contact them to learn more about the options and to determine if you are eligible.
If you have private or commercial insurance, you may qualify for the Amgen Support Plus Co-pay program which may be able to provide funds to help you pay your deductible, copay, or coinsurance. For example:
- Up to a $0 out-of-pocket for treatment doses
- Can be applied to deductible, co-insurance, and co-payment
- No income eligibility requirement
If you have government insurance like Medicare, Amgen may be able to refer you to nonprofit patient assistance programs to help you afford your copays.
If you have no insurance, or are underinsured, contact Amgen to determine if you qualify for Amgen medicines at no cost to you through the Amgen Safety Net Foundation patient assistance program.
To learn more: call Amgen SupportPlus at (1-866-264-2778), Monday to Friday 9:00 am to 8:00 pm ET.
What is Blincyto used for?
Blincyto is a prescription medicine used to treat adults and children with:
- CD19 positive B-cell precursor acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) that has come back (relapsed) or did not respond to previous treatments (refractory).
- CD19 positive B-cell precursor ALL in remission with minimal residual disease (MRD) greater than or equal to 0.1%.
Acute lymphoblastic leukemia is a cancer of the blood that starts when a certain kind of white blood cell starts growing out of control.
Blincyto is classified as a bispecific CD19-directed CD3 T-cell engager (or BiTE antibody). Blincyto is considered an immunotherapy anticancer treatment but it is not a traditional chemotherapy medicine. Immunotherapy uses the body’s own immune system to better target cancer cells.
How is Blincyto given?
Blincyto is given by a continuous intravenous (IV) infusion into your vein by a special pump. Your healthcare provider will determine how much medicine to give you and how often you will receive treatment.
You may receive Blincyto in a hospital or clinic so your healthcare provider can check you for side effects.
Learn more: FDA Approved Blincyto Patient Medication Guide
This is not all the information you need to know about Blincyto (blinatumomab) for safe and effective use and does not take the place of talking to your doctor about your treatment. Review the full Blincyto information here, and discuss this information and any questions you have with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Blinatumomab: A Step Forward in the Treatment of B-Cell Precursor Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. J Hematol Oncol Pharm.
2019;9(2):38-46. Accessed June 22, 2023 at http://jhoponline.com/jhop-issue-archive/2019-issues/jhop-june-2019-vol-9-no-2/17786-blinatumomab-a-step-forward-in-the-treatment-of-b-cell-precursor-acute-lymphoblastic-leukemia
- Blincyto (blinatumomab) [product information]. Amgen. Thousand Oaks, CA. Revised March 2020. Accessed June 22, 2023 at https://www.pi.amgen.com/-/media/Project/Amgen/Repository/pi-amgen-com/blincyto/blincyto_pi_hcp_english.pdf
- Price Guide. Drugs.com. Accessed June 22, 2023 at https://www.drugs.com/price-guide/blincyto#
- Amgen Support. Accessed June 22, 2023 at https://www.amgensupportplus.com/patient/blincyto
Related medical questions
- What are monoclonal antibodies?
- Is Blincyto (blinatumomab) chemotherapy?
- How is Blincyto taken / administered?
- What is the strongest chemotherapy drug for breast cancer?
- Is small cell or non-small cell lung cancer worse?
- Is non-small cell lung cancer hereditary?
- How aggressive is non-small cell lung cancer?
- Does smoking cause non-small cell lung cancer?
- What type of prostate cancer is Erleada used to treat?
- What type of lung cancer is Vizimpro used to treat?
- What type of cancer is Tecentriq used to treat?