Can I take Gleevec while pregnant?
No, you should NOT take Gleevec (generic name: imatinib) if you are pregnant or could become pregnant. Taking Gleevec while you are pregnant could harm an unborn baby. You may need to have a negative pregnancy test before starting this treatment.
Use effective birth control to prevent pregnancy while you are using this medicine and for at least 14 days after your last dose. Use a birth control method that results in a less than 1% pregnancy rate. Talk to your doctor for further advice on the most effective birth control options.
Based on human and animal data from the manufacturer of Gleevec, this drug can cause fetal harm when administered to a pregnant woman. Do not become pregnant while taking Gleevec.
Talk to your doctor right away if you think you are, or might be pregnant. Always follow your doctor's instructions exactly during treatment with Gleevec.
Can I breastfeed with Gleevec?
Do not breastfeed a baby while you are using Gleevec and for at least 1 month after you take your last dose of Gleevec. Gleevec can get into your breast milk. There is a possibility of bad (serious) side effects in the baby.
Always consult your doctor or healthcare specialist for medical advice in relation to drug use while pregnant or breastfeeding. Prescribing should be made on a case-by-case basis, and information may not be applicable to every situation.
This is not all the information you need to know about Gleevec (imatinib) for safe and effective use and does not take the place of talking to your doctor about your treatment. Review the full Gleevec information here, and discuss this information and any questions you have with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Gleevec (imatinib) [product information]. Revised 8/2020. Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation. East Hanover, NJ. Accessed Feb. 22, 2020 at https://www.novartis.us/sites/www.novartis.us/files/gleevec_tabs.pdf
- Gleevec.com. Important Safety Information: Who Should Not Take Gleevec. (online). Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation. East Hanover, NJ. Accessed Feb. 22, 2020 at https://www.us.gleevec.com/
- Birth Control Methods. US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Reviewed: August 13, 2020. Accessed Feb. 21, 2021 at https://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/contraception/index.htm
- Imatinib Pregnancy and Breastfeeding Warnings. Drugs.com. Last updated on May 14, 2020. Accessed Feb. 21, 2021 at https://www.drugs.com/pregnancy/imatinib.html
Related Medical Questions
- Gleevec vs Sprycel vs Tasigna - how do they compare?
- What to avoid when taking Gleevec?
- How does Gleevec (imatinib) work?
- Is there a generic for Gleevec?
- How does Besponsa work to treat Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL)?
Related Support Groups
- Gleevec (6 questions, 78 members)
- Imatinib (4 questions, 14 members)
- Pregnancy (494 questions, 5917 members)
- Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (19 questions, 14 members)
- Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML) (14 questions, 106 members)
- Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor (8 questions, 20 members)
- Myeloproliferative Disorders (6 questions, 12 members)
- Systemic Mastocytosis (6 questions, 7 members)
- Hypereosinophilic Syndrome (6 questions, 11 members)
- Myelodysplastic Diseases (5 questions, 5 members)
- Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans (5 questions, 6 members)
- Chronic Eosinophilic Leukemia (4 questions, 8 members)